PDA

View Full Version : morepork

Kathryn
1st August 2006, 11:05 PM
Hi was wondering if anyone out there knows what it means when a morepork comes a visiting we have had one sit on our bird avairy for the last 3 nights it has been coming even before it gets dark. I am interested in what the meaning of birds visiting means.

Isla
1st August 2006, 11:09 PM
There are lots of moths to eat near your aviary? It has fallen in lust with your caged birds? ;)

colinandsue
2nd August 2006, 06:34 AM
Ah so morepork is a bird?
Colin

wonks
2nd August 2006, 06:47 AM
I think your very lucky to have 'Morepork' visit, does it sing for you. Hopefully it is visiting because you have a nice place to be, it is unusual for them to be out in daylight tho. I don't know about live ones but I think Maori say a dead one is Tapu and should be blessed.

Jack
2nd August 2006, 07:10 AM
Gidday

I don't think it means anything atall. If oit was in the daytime then that would be different.

The sound of moreporks at night is one thing I miss since leaving Mud Island. Down here we have a little owl but it screaches instead of calling for more pork.

witheze
2nd August 2006, 08:49 AM
A few years back, when a Maori lady joined our office staff, she had our morepork photo removed from the wall by management because morepork have a sinister meaning to the spiritual Maori .

I have had one or more living in some trees for quite a while, haven't heard them lately tho. Nothing sinister has happened here.

Could you get a photo for us? my daughter managed one when mp was
sleeping in the day, but could have done with a stronger zoom.

To those unfamiliar with " Morepork" it's the native owl of N.Z.is it not diggs?

reggit
2nd August 2006, 08:57 AM
"Maori traditionally believed that these owl guardians had the power to, protect, warn and advise. According to such beliefs, the presence of a morepork sitting in a conspicuous place nearby, knocking on a window or even entering the house signifies a death the family while the high piercing call of the morepork is thought to herald bad news and the ordinary call to indicate good news on the way."

We have morepork in the bush down the road from us - and we are in town. Love hearing them at night time - but that is the 'ordinary' call so I think we are okay! ;)

diggs
2nd August 2006, 08:59 AM
moreporks are hunters, they eat mice, lizards, birds
he/she is comming to you place looking for dinner. I used to have them visit my avaries.You never hear them fly, they just arrive.

powerguy
2nd August 2006, 09:02 AM
We have them all the time so having one pop in is no big deal. Am probably going to upset a few people here but for goodness sake, they are only a bird and there is nothing sinister or spiritual about them. If anyone feels threatened or sees portents of doom by having a bird come by, hey this is the 21st century!

reggit
2nd August 2006, 09:10 AM
Most animals have symbolism of some sort attached to them. It doesn't mean that people believe it (although some do) but its nice to know what they have meant traditionally.

witheze
2nd August 2006, 09:15 AM
Well powerguy the p.c. brigade who run this country are very into "culture" hence the removal of the picture,even tho it was laughable to most of us.

I think diggs has the answer to Kathryn's query.

max2
2nd August 2006, 09:43 AM
Tigger, I was told the same by Bub's Koro, and like most things the older Maori folk take it on board very seriously.

Grantham
2nd August 2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.niwascience.co.nz/pubs/posters/maori_climate.pdf

This maybe interesting Kathryn.

"The mind is like a parachute - it works best when its open"!!!

reggit
2nd August 2006, 12:45 PM
I know what you mean, Swaggie. I have had people freak out when fantails have flown into our display tents at various locations or inside buildings. I always thought it was supposed to mean good luck, but I guess that isn't the case?

Kathryn
2nd August 2006, 02:02 PM
Would have to diagree with powerguy I do beleive that they have a special meaning I had a couple of years ago have afantail try and get inside and 2 hours later my Aunty had passed over and this year I had a fantail fly inside and couldn't get out it happened on ANZAC day and 3 days later my father passed over and he was a return service man so maybe we need to start listing and taking notice of things around us and nature.

colinandsue
2nd August 2006, 04:13 PM
Coincidences.
Colin

max2
2nd August 2006, 05:42 PM
Well if Koro were alive today, I wouldn't be saying that to his face without getting a head start down the track a bit...

Jack
2nd August 2006, 05:48 PM
Gidday

Actually with the morepork, it's if you see one in the daytime that upsets the Maori. It also upset all the other little birdies too. With a morepork flying around during the day the racket make by all the daytime birds can be unbelievable.

max2
2nd August 2006, 06:12 PM
They have two seperate sounds too, eh Jack? There is a "normal" one, then there is the Maori one if it lands on your roof in the night, your'e[xx(]

powerguy
2nd August 2006, 08:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Kathryn

Would have to diagree with powerguy I do beleive that they have a special meaning I had a couple of years ago have afantail try and get inside and 2 hours later my Aunty had passed over and this year I had a fantail fly inside and couldn't get out it happened on ANZAC day and 3 days later my father passed over and he was a return service man so maybe we need to start listing and taking notice of things around us and nature.

Sorry, birds fly and people die all the time. That is like saying "Gosh, the sun came up and somebody I knew died so that must be bad luck" Superstitious nonsense.

Inger
2nd August 2006, 10:10 PM
Moreporks actually have a number of different calls they can make according my ecologist daughter. Up our way they can copy the call of the Kiwi as well. She said the only way you can tell is by the way the Kiwi's call always goes up a note at the end as if in a question. The call keeps getting higher. The Morepork call doesn't. We have a number of Moreporks living around us and nobody has died on our farm - no matter what type of call they make.

We also have a Fantail that hangs around our feet as we walk past his Rimu tree that grows near our cottage. The pair of Fantail have a nest there I think. They also hang around any animals that are walking around the paddock, in the hope of grabbing any insects that are disturbed by the animal.

Birds are a part of the natural surroundings and just going about their business of staying alive and raising kids. There isn't any one species that is more sinister than the others. Its like saying that all snakes are evil. We just need to learn to live with them.

Isla
2nd August 2006, 10:57 PM
Good Heavens! Birds raise kids and there are snakes in the Bay of Islands? The world is changing far too fast for me. [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Inger
2nd August 2006, 11:28 PM
I was writing figuratively Isla! :P and now you're going to say my spelling's bad. But I haven't had spell-checker installed on my new computer yet, so I can't work if it looks right or not.

Jack
3rd August 2006, 09:04 PM
Gidday

Well you can live with almost any bird but die with a snake.

Inger
3rd August 2006, 09:42 PM
Not all snakes are poisonous Jack. :)

Wendy
3rd August 2006, 10:22 PM
Kathryn, Recently I was sitting outside at dusk and two screaching Moreporks flew at me. One veared away at the last minute and the other would have hit me if I hadnt ducked. Sadly, it hit the window behind me and died. I gathered it up and took it to DOC the next day. They were delighted to have it and were going to have it stuffed. Such a pretty bird. Like you, I do not believe in coincidences so looked up the Morepork meaning in my Maori Tarot cards. This was the answer to it's appearance:

If Ruru has flown into your life, you have reached a significant moment in your journey. Do not be afraid of all that now opens to you. Accept the gifts of those who have gone before you, they offer the wonderous cloak of knowledge. Ruru speaks of the winds of change. It is seen as a time of attunement, the aligning of our lives with a higher purpose. Ruru announces the death of the old and the birthing of the new. It brings insignt. Each little ending signals many new beginnings and opens the door to higher learning. Each little death lightens the load, frees us of burdens that have become too heavy.

This is abridged, but the bottom line is you should not be worried but grateful that the universe is offering you such a powerful message. After my encounter with the moreporks, I for no reason at all really decided to quit smoking. Since the day I stopped I have been sent hawkes. When I looked their meaning up it was something like "Spirit supports you in your decisions. Revel in what you leave behind and are becoming!" Awesome. Today I have had a 24 hawke day.

To those of you who do not agree with my spiritual beliefs, sorry. Works for me and may give some comfort to Kathryn. Email me if you want Kathryn. Very happy to do a reading for you (never charge) as long as you're not in a hurry!
Cheers

baldy
3rd August 2006, 10:39 PM
I will share a secret with you all - The Moreporks real name is the Warkworth Bird and if you listen carefully you will hear it says Wark-worth Wark-worth and not morepork ;):D:D

Ronney
3rd August 2006, 11:04 PM
Being a Capricorn, I'm probably a bit too earthy to worry overly much about the spiritual side of birds BUT I do get huge pleasure out of them, including all those horrible birds that other people hate such as hawks and pukes.

This thread has reminded me of an incident that I had forgotten about and covered a period of about 6 weeks. I was medium pruning in a forestry block and got that feeling that I was being watched. There was nobody there and I looked up to see a morepork sitting in the tree next to the one I was pruning. I had never seen one that close and was rapt. I spoke to him, he cocked his head to one side and continued to watch me. This went on nearly every day and I missed him when he didn't appear. His flight was amazing - he would literally drop out of the tree until he was under the canopy, give one silent flap of his wings and glide down between the rows. Nothing good or bad happened to me during our short relationship and I just felt complimented that he seemed happy with my company.

We have a lot of them here and to me it is the sound of healthy bush.

Cheers,
Ronnie

max2
4th August 2006, 09:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Inger

Not all snakes are poisonous Jack. :)

No, but they can scare you senseless and new land speed records are set when you are about to walk over one in the bush giving you a heart attack later!:D;)

Jack
4th August 2006, 06:01 PM
Gidday

Yeah, but all snakes eat birds.

Scare, well when I stood on a sea snake in Fiji we both sh!t ourselves. I ran accross the water one way and the snake did the same the other way.