PDA

View Full Version : Horse brand question

DiDi
18th July 2006, 10:00 PM
Anyone know if you can find out an ex race horse's history, name etc from the brand and presumably Vet initials. We have no idea what her racing name was. Thanks.

linda
18th July 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi DiDi, ring NZ Bloodstck.The brand will be the breeder initials one side & foal No born over year born the other side.16/05 eg.

Double8
18th July 2006, 11:06 PM
If its a TB then www.nzracing.co.nz they should also have a listing of (or tell you who has it) of other breeds registered brands.

I do think a fee is involved (about $25).

[8][8]

Valmai
18th July 2006, 11:06 PM
There is a site you can look up. Try NZ Harness Racing .. or something like that.

terralee
19th July 2006, 08:40 AM
Can you find out her racing name as then you just have to go to the site D8 mentioned and all her history will be there ... alternately you can put in her dam or sire and work through the info to find her details.
Cheers.

eventernz
19th July 2006, 09:09 AM
Hi
I just got my TB's details from www.nzracing.co.nz, you can download the form from the site, and fax it back to them (if you are using you credit card as it cost $25) and you recieve the information in the mail about 4 days later.

stripey
19th July 2006, 02:09 PM
The letters on one side of the shoulder are actually the persons logo who does the branding (e.g. my Thoroughbred has PV for Peninsula Vets), not the breeder. If its for a different breed that does not routinely get branded, the owner or breeder can invent and register their own letters/logo and use that on all their horses.

PRU2
19th July 2006, 02:42 PM
I was given an old boy and what I can remember on one shoulder was I think a letter and a number, the letter of breeder and the number being the year of birth, on the opp shoulder was the vets 'logo' and a number that was I think how many branded that year by that vet.
Could be wrong, have been before.
I was lucky enough to have been given his racing name and looked up the annual Racing Gazette for the years that he raced and was able to find the races he had won etc.
There is a place out of Cambridge, a stud farm turned Sports Museum,that has a cafe and memorabilia of racing yesteryear. Also two great horses are buried there, I can't think of their names at present. Vanderhum comes to mind but not sure if that was one.

Bunter
19th July 2006, 03:24 PM
The brand on a Thoroughbred will be, on the left shoulder a letter or letters or a symbol that is registered with the racing conference. Studs have their own so it wont always be a vet. On the right shoulder will be numbers - the bottom number is the last digit of the year of foaling and the top number will represent the number of that foal branded with that particular ciper brand in that year.

RaeM
19th July 2006, 05:34 PM
Appaloosas are branded the same as TBs, that is why Broadcast News was put around as being a TB, but the breeders sorted that out quite quickly. He was a Solid Coloured Appaloosa Gelding. We always ahve used our local vets brand when branding, but other breeders do have their own brands, but they are normally reg with TB breeders so that the brands can be searched for.