PDA

View Full Version : Pig question

katieb
21st December 2012, 02:20 PM
Just wondering if you castrate a piglet will he still grow tusks?

Stu_R
21st December 2012, 03:51 PM
Don't know for sure .. but at a guess yes he will
Castrate only stops him being a daddy and nothing much else .. so am guessing yep he will grow tusks
Petie pig ( Little Gems Peter Porker) my Kunekune boar has full set of tusks and large ones .. well he is almost 5 years old now .. and he is no problem at all :)

katieb
21st December 2012, 03:55 PM
hey my boar has a good set of tusks & hes about the same age... thinking about getting the vet to remove them for safety

I have 2 little piglets & the boy is going to a new home possibly this evening & the lady who wants him was asking so I thought I would find out

Stu_R
21st December 2012, 04:02 PM
I would expect he will still grow tusks .. um Borris the Razor back Blue boar next door is just starting to grow some and he is just a year oild i think ( maybe 14 months)

Um Petie has a good set :) personally i see no reason to take them off :) .. one just realises he has tusks and is a bit more carefull :) .. Petie hs never ever worried me with his tusks :) , he is fine with most people and all children :) .. only person he doesn't like ( and would kill if given 1/2 a chance , even tries to climb the fence to get him) is Mr Olive grove .. bit of a bummer when its there land :( lol

katieb
21st December 2012, 05:48 PM
Um Petie has a good set :) personally i see no reason to take them off :) .. one just realises he has tusks and is a bit more carefull :) .. Petie hs never ever worried me with his tusks :) , he is fine with most people and all children :) .. only person he doesn't like ( and would kill if given 1/2 a chance , even tries to climb the fence to get him) is Mr Olive grove .. bit of a bummer when its there land :( lol

I know to always watch Maverick but hes often in the chicken coup paddock so hangs around when my wwoofers collect the eggs, hes very good but it would just take one swing of the head & someone could get hurt

Also we have tourists visit & as it is ive had 2 report that they had been bitten (feeding him out of their hands)..... both dads from Auckland... the wives & kids thought it was funny/stupid!

... I could wirte a book on the sill/stupid things people do/say haha

Stu_R
21st December 2012, 05:59 PM
To be totally honest :) .. the Rams have given me way way more grief ( and even been flattened a couple of times by Biggles .. who went on the big Deep South o/e lol ) Petie has always been great with all people ( except grove owner :( ).. his tusks are of no worry .. him climbing on you or flattening you with a run iup are far more worry than tusks
Personal experience and opinion only :)

Ronney
21st December 2012, 10:58 PM
Katie, castration will not stop the growth of tusks. These teeth are the canines in young pigs and while few people do it now, once upon a time piglets used to have their tails docked, canines clipped, and in the case of boar piglets, castrated. The clipping of the teeth will not stop the growth of tusks and they will regrow if broken or drop out.

Frankly, I have no sympathy for anybody who feeds any type of animal out of their hand when they don't know the animal. However, I guess that if you're dealing with tourists it is also your responsibility to ensure that they are not fed by anybody other than yourself and warning signs should perhaps be posted (if not already) on the dangers of doing so. And they would have been bitten whether the pig had tusks or not. Tusks are only really effectual when used with the side-swiping head movement that pigs have and then they can be lethal. They are not used for eating.

All my boars have had their tusks and the two remaining are now into their 3rd or 4th set. Sows also have them, they just aren't so prominant.

Cheers,
Ronnie