PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable behaviour, Rosie our donkey

sky
22nd June 2012, 09:40 AM
Rosie has well and truly settled in but I want to start as I mean to go on and set boundaries so she respects us and the pecking order.
She has started biting at my clothes and anything else she can get hold of as I turn my back and walk away from her, also just been plain stupid and pushing me about when I take her feed out to her.
I've done a bit of reading and found I should be disciplining her by saying "NO" in a very firm voice and pushing her away and out of my personal space.
I went out and put to practise what I had learnt from the net and it seems to be working.
She also was bounding around behind me and rushing up with her ears back, just stopping short of me, I read this is her trying to be boss, so I've not been putting up with that either.
She's a lovely gentle natured donkey, just she needs to learn her manners I think as she's only 6 months old.

Any advise would be great, also am I doing the right things to teach her but still maintain trust and a friendship?

Iniuk
22nd June 2012, 11:15 AM
I expect some experienced donkey types will offer more helpful advice, but you sound like you are on the right track.
Good to get the respect with voice (NO) and body language as you are doing, without resorting to physical violence [:D]
( Especially since many animals grow up to be stronger than us and have harder muscles and hitting them makes your hand sore [:D] )

stephclark
22nd June 2012, 01:03 PM
yip.. you are heading in the right direction... no need to 'bash' them, using your body to block them or move them is mimiking natural equine behaviour..
i had a very stroppy sod of a horse, he was an angel with me, but others.. not so much..i used DONT, MANNERS, and STAND UP..
also remember to praise praise praise when they do what you ask.. often we are quick with the 'no' but not so much with the good boy...
one of my pet hates is 'creeping'.. you park the darlings, maintaining a respectable 'personal'space.. and they creep up, next thing they are all but standing on me.. ggrrr...thumb in the chest and a firm 'back' sorts that.. then a pat for being a good boy and staying put

sky
22nd June 2012, 01:24 PM
Thank you both for your replies, it's reassuring to know I'm doing the right things [:)]

feedqueen
22nd June 2012, 05:07 PM
I like to watch my mare disciplining her babies. In no uncertain terms LOL they know when she means it. Yes you will be doing Rosie a huge disservice if you dont set those boundaries now. Be consistent and firm, she sounds like she is testing her limits. She sounds adorable too :)

kindajojo
22nd June 2012, 05:47 PM
yep you are on the right track see if you can watch some video of how horses/ donkeys on Utube manage the hierarchy it can be pretty vicious. If you let her dominate you she will treat you as the kicking bag. I find ground work is good...lead her around pushing her where you want her to go make sure you walk through gates first she must wait. If you want her to stand then she will stand......She does what you want no matter what it is (be reasonable) and make it fun and she will learn you are the head donkey. Remember to keep lessons short , interesting and positive.

LongRidge
22nd June 2012, 07:31 PM
Donkeys groom each other by nipping each other, and ascert their herd position by vigorous biting, so what she is doing is very natural. And what you are doing is teaching her properly, so that is great. My animals, including the donkeys, cannot really understand "no" when it is part of the vocabulary that I use when I am with them. So I start with "no", then if that does not work I "grrrr" at them, then if that does not work they get the other donkey discipline message (which the dominant donkey, usually the jenny, uses) which is a kick. For those few that forget, after they have been given the discipline that a dominant donkey would use, they realise that as far as they are concerned, I am the dominant ass of the herd.

sky
22nd June 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone [:)] , I've been watching You Tube and folk training their donkeys ... the use of a clicker looks like a good idea, think I'll try get one of those and have a go with that along with treats and commands.
She's only young and I know she will have a short attention span so I'll take it very slowly for now.