PDA

View Full Version : Gilt ready to farrow?

mc2631
13th June 2012, 08:45 PM
We have a large white gilt and she has been with the boar most her life
But the last couple of days has been acting strangely and was seen having clear liquid coming from vulva
Any theories?

Kevin and Perlita Morgan
13th June 2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Have you ever seen the boar mounting the gilt?
Could it be semen from the boar having just served her ?
What makes you think that it farrowing ?
Has she got a swollen belly ? has the milkbar formed?
Has she got milk ?
As you can see you need to give relevant information
I dont think anybody can give you a correct answer based on the skimpy information supplied
Cheers Kevin

mc2631
13th June 2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks, some who have seen my recent thread would have enough info but will elaborate.
The gilt has just been separated from boar 2 days ago so if it was seamen I'm not sure.
I have not seen the boar mount her in a long time.
She has gained weight lately wether this is due to pregnancy well it's obvious I don't know.
I'm sure I would not ask advice if she had milk from her teats etc.
Thanks

Andrea
14th June 2012, 12:04 PM
Can you maybe post a photo, mc? The formation of the 'milkbar' is pretty obvious in most pigs, and it's the one thing I look for when we're getting closer to farrowing date (if I haven't seen the mating - if I have, then I have a much better idea when pig is due), as it starts to really form up 1-2 weeks pre-farrowing. Our 2 sows haven't had any discharge that we've noticed, they've just popped out piggies, but it's entirely possible that it could be related to imminent delivery.

Has the boar shown any special interest in her lately, before they were separated? The sow's/gilt's hormones will change when she's about to give birth, and that may cause the male to become interested in her again.

I don't have a whole heck of a lot of experience with a lot of pigs, so can only comment on our few. Hopefully Ronnie will come along and give her sage advice. [:D]

Inger
14th June 2012, 04:45 PM
What age is the gilt? It's recommended to wait until they are 10 months old, before mating, so they are well grown before giving birth. Our Large Black gilts didn't cycle until around 8 months, but Large Whites are probably earlier to mature.

The udder only start welling up a week or so before farrowing and since the gestation is 114 days in length, it's the weight gain in the lower belly that will tell you that she's in-pig, before anything else. Another sign that she's close to farrowing is that she'll get very loose under her tail. That happens in the last 4 days or so. I would pen her with a farrowing shed attached to the pen, once she starts looking loose round the back end. That way she won't have her first litter out in the paddock somewhere. Once she shows signs of nesting, dump a pile of wood shavings in the farrowing house and let her make a comfy bed for herself. It only needs to be 2-3 inches thick. She'll take it from there.

Once you're sure she's bigger along her lower belly than usual, buy some bags of 'complete pigfood' and give her 5 or 6 cups of it, twice a day. You want the piglets a good size by their birth and not have tiny runts that haven't got a hope of surviving. I usually up the feed intake in the last 4 - 6 weeks of gestation, but you're going to have to guess for this sow.

Stu_R
14th June 2012, 05:38 PM
My 2 girls got in pig at round 7/8 months old ( not by design , just at that stage couldn't keep them in separate from Petie pig ) there was no sign of a milkbar starting untill day befor the had piglets and they didnt seem to really bag up till the day after they had them
I think your gilt is in pig :)

mc2631
14th June 2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info.
I think she is in pig as she is much bigger, I will try and post some photos soon of before and now.
I have been feeding her more and she seems more crazy for food!
Thanks again for your time [:)]

mc2631
15th June 2012, 06:49 PM
Hi her teats are longer and I have seen her belly moving also.
I've never seen the back end like this before even when on heat

Anne
15th June 2012, 07:23 PM
She looks like she might have some little piggies in there[:D][:)]. She will start nesting a day or so before she starts to farrow. My pig drags all sorts of things into her nests - silage wrap, hay, balage, dead grass, sticks. She makes a lovely pile if seh can.

Andrea
15th June 2012, 07:31 PM
JUST in case she hasn't enough milk, have some milk replacer and some colostrum or JumpStart on hand. Wish you were closer, we have plenty of goat colostrum in the freezer!

Stu_R
15th June 2012, 09:01 PM
Coke ( Cokie to her friends :) ) broke up Willow branches and took all sorts of things into her house and made a nest of sorts in the back of it .. lol then befor she had her piglets she tossed it all out of the house again lol :) .. that was the evening befor she had them
Bundy didn't make a nest at all .. she had hers in the drain :(

Both of mine looked like your girl in the teat department right up untill they popped out piglets ... and both have ( for first time mums and young ones as only 10.5months old when they gave birth) turned out to be fantastic mothers :)

mc2631
16th June 2012, 09:31 PM
Oh and she is 18 months old so hopefully no probs. Will keep you posted any tips welcome thanks

Ronney
16th June 2012, 10:44 PM
Hi MC, she is definately in pig and from the photo of the vulva, she is not far off.

What have you done with her in terms of putting her somewhere safe to farrow. Ideally she should have a farrowing house or area given over to her, preferably with creep rails and in a situation where the piglets are not going to be able to wander too far and then be unable to get back to where they should be.

Also, start pumping the food into her big time. I would like to see her in a little better condition than she is prior to farrowing because lactation is going to strip the weight off her within a week. After she has farrowed I will give you some pointers on how to deal with the piglets and the sow if you wish.

Cheers,
Ronnie

mc2631
16th June 2012, 11:24 PM
Wow thanks, she is in a hut about 1.5m squared with an outside area of 6m squared fenced in especially for little ones not to get out.
We do not have a farrowing rail as we were not sure how to set it up and really didn't know if she was in pig.
Any ideas / photos/ links would be appreciated.
We have doubled her feed but now decided to double it again I just hope we are not too late on upping the food intake. Any idea on kgs per day?
Getting very exited Also 

mc2631
17th June 2012, 04:50 PM
Quick update she is breathing heavily and has mad herself very comfortable in the hey will keep you posted

mc2631
17th June 2012, 08:44 PM
Nothing ATM will check in the morning

Stu_R
17th June 2012, 09:38 PM
:) Cokie broke up willow branches and took those and leaves and great piles of long grass into her house to build a nest ;0
Bundy didnt build a nest , just had hers in the drain lol
Your girl isnt that far away :)

Ronney
19th June 2012, 12:05 AM
Where are we now?

mc2631
19th June 2012, 07:30 PM
Ok false alarm nothing yet have got her in her little yard and she seems content with her extra feed. She is waddling a bit when she walks and 2 days ago before she was separated the 4.5 month year old weaners we bought were trying to drink from her teats.
She must be close though not sure how long to go

mikethebike
20th June 2012, 10:36 PM
hey mike is she one of the pigs you got from me? if so her mum can look and behave like that for a week or two before she farrows so i wouldn't worry too much, we dont have a farrowing rail and have only lost one piglet to squashing from about 10 litters and then it was only in the first 24 hours, it also depends on how careful the sow is guess we have been lucky that we have always had very careful and quiet sows that were happy to let us not only watch the farrowing but assist at times by rubbing the piglets in a towel to dry them and get them breathing some times, so we have so far lost very few, having said that in most litters we have had one that just didnt start to breathe even after mouth to mouth, so i would expect to lose one or two in a first litter.

Ronney
20th June 2012, 11:03 PM
MC, not so much a false alarm but gilts can be notoriously unpredictable and even more so when you don't know when they actually went to the boar. Just keep an eye on her.

One of my best was feeding a gilt one evening showing no sign other than a slightly swollen vulva, and going back 30 minutes later to find her with 6 piglets. Not only that, she had farrowed almost to the hour from when she had gone to the boar. She eventually farrowed 10, all of which she reared.

Cheers,
Ronnie

mc2631
21st June 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi mike and ronney

The sow is a purebred large white we had from the start, your 2 grew well and we made them into pork 2 weeks ago.
We are constantly watching on her and will update as soon as they pop out. We are trying to be around at the time because we want to make sure all I'd ok.

Cheers

mc2631
21st June 2012, 10:13 PM
Also she dropped big time yesterday! How close do you think from dropping? She has gained tones of weight too, looking very healthy [:)]

Ronney
21st June 2012, 11:37 PM
How long is a piece of string?[:D] It could be tonight, tomorrow, or Sunday. But if she's dropped, it will be soon. Make sure she is comfortable and if you can be with her, do so. Not only for her but for you. I never tired of watching piglets being born and the sows always seemed to appreciate the company and belly rubs.

Cheers,
Ronnie

mc2631
22nd June 2012, 08:36 AM

Yes she does love her attention, haha I noticed that!
We are really wanting to catch it happen so we check on her regularly [:D]

Can't wait!!!

pisa
22nd June 2012, 09:43 AM
All the best, and enjoy! [:)]

DMW999
22nd June 2012, 02:58 PM
Gosh - this is becoming an obsession!! Have to keep looking to see if any new babies yet!! Good luck and will wait for the news and photos[:)]

stephclark
22nd June 2012, 03:09 PM
Gosh - this is becoming an obsession!! Have to keep looking to see if any new babies yet!! Good luck and will wait for the news and photos[:)]

me tooo.. and i want to see photos..[:)]

Ronney
22nd June 2012, 11:30 PM
Well, your all just going to have to wait[:D] It could be tomorrow, it could be Tuesday and it could be next weekend but unless my eyes are worse than I thought they were, it will happen.

Now, any takers for buying the piglets come weaning ..........?

Cheers,
Ronnie

mc2631
23rd June 2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all the good wishes :)
Still nothing yet I'm presuming tonight hopefully but here are some pics taken today that show the changes in the last week or s10664o 1066510666
If you look closely in the second photo you will see the daddy having a nice sun bath

mc2631
23rd June 2012, 03:05 PM
Oh and thanks for the heads up ronney will advertise in advanced if anyone is interested let me know ;)

mc2631
23rd June 2012, 05:36 PM
Also more teats are popping out is that an indication of how many piglets?

Ronney
23rd June 2012, 10:47 PM
Also more teats are popping out is that an indication of how many piglets?

In one short word, no! Hopefully your sow won't have any more piglets than she can feed. How many teats does she have because if she farrows more than she has teats for you will have to be prepared to either feed the runts or knock them on the head.

Also be aware that the back teats produce the least milk so in a larger litter the weakest piglets end up on these. You may not need it but I always kept a box of Farex in the pantry for this situation - we had one sow consistently farrow 16-18 piglets but only had 14 teats.

Cheers,
Ronnie

mikethebike
25th June 2012, 10:30 AM
i agree with ronney number of teats seems to have nothing to do with number of piglets but they can raise more piglets than they have teats peggy has 12 teats and last litter raised 14 piglets without any help so it dosent follow that you will have to hand raise but you may need to supplementary feed and feed the sow as much as she will eat when lactating otherwise you will see her wasting away before your eyes! we have had to wean early on a couple of occaisions just to save peggy from becoming too thin! Gald the piglets grew well mike good luck any news??

kindajojo
25th June 2012, 05:26 PM
any update?

mc2631
25th June 2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry nothing yet its getting pretty frustrating no changes in behavior or anything so as Gilts go who knows when she will pop?

stephclark
26th June 2012, 09:18 AM
do you think she may be telling you porkies?[;)]

mc2631
26th June 2012, 03:01 PM
I think she may be pork if she keeps it up :)

mc2631
28th June 2012, 11:40 PM
They are here! Only 5 but all doing well helped out and made sure they were all drinking. 2 boys 3 girls we all watched and our daughter took these pictures106911069210693 first one born at 430 ish last at 530 then placenta then after birth she seems fine hope that's the correct order

Ronney
28th June 2012, 11:58 PM
All good then[:)]

Don't be concerned about the small litter size. That's enough for her to be getting on with and my experience shows that the next litter will be reasonable. I had three sows that farrowed three in their first litter. The pig pundits told me to get rid of them. Two went on to consistently farrow 10-12 per litter and the other went on the become the large farrower that I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Ronnie

terralee
29th June 2012, 06:59 AM
YAY ...good result[^]
Cheers

mc2631
29th June 2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks will post more photos maybe on new thread :) thankyou to everyone for all the helpful ideas.

mikethebike
29th June 2012, 07:45 PM
well done mike that seems normal all ours have started with small litters and increased every litter, 16 last litter hope they dont increase any more!! eek!

mc2631
29th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks mike, getting this place set up nicely now after alot of hard work she is a good mum am looking forward to more. Haven't had time to set up for ducks yet but in the near future hopefully

pisa
30th June 2012, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear of your great outcome!

PS: love the photo with the camera providing the light in it!

mc2631
30th June 2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks Pisa had relatives from Sydney over and thanks to all their flash I phones made it a lot easier.
Also great for them to see:)

mc2631
30th September 2012, 05:02 PM
I know its been a while but here are some photos have sold all but one and people are wanting it 2

cheers