PDA

View Full Version : How many eggs under broody?

CEW79
17th January 2012, 08:26 AM
Wondering how many fertile eggs I should put under a broody Hyline hen?

I'm waiting for one of my girls to go clucky & will buy in some eggs.

Stikkibeek
17th January 2012, 08:37 AM
8-10 is probably a good number. Depends on how big she is and what she can comfortably "teacosy" over.

I don't know though whether Hylines are bred with sitting in mind.

Sue
17th January 2012, 08:39 AM
They are not very big so I would be conservative at 8-10. They are less than half the size of a RIR or Orpington, should only weigh a little over 2kgs. Perhaps others have experience?
If the Hyline is not already clucky you may be waiting a long time-the instinct to go broody has been all but bred out of them. That's not to say they won't, just less likely!

Sue
17th January 2012, 08:49 AM
Ha ha SB, as least we think the same, we posted together!

CEW79
17th January 2012, 08:50 AM
I had one of the girls go broody last year around February so hoping she will repeat the performance this year. She was a great mum and cared well for babies until they were bigger than her :-))

I was very surprised that she went broody but remember last year Simkin saying that it's not totally bred out of them.

mandy_moo31
17th January 2012, 09:40 AM
I have just put 12 under my barred rock, but in saying that im not expecting 12 to hatch it's just i got too many so wanted to see. She is a large hen so who knows. bless her as i put them in to her she tucked them under her. This is my first time with fertile eggs and her first time sitting so unsure how this will turn out.

Stikkibeek
17th January 2012, 09:54 AM
I have just put 12 under my barred rock, but in saying that im not expecting 12 to hatch it's just i got too many so wanted to see. She is a large hen so who knows. bless her as i put them in to her she tucked them under her. This is my first time with fertile eggs and her first time sitting so unsure how this will turn out.

Barred rocks are pretty big girls, so 12 should be within her capabilities. One thing you can do, is mark half the eggs and put them on the inside. Keep an eye on whether she is regularly turning all eggs under, determined by the unmarked ones moving into the centre.

Cinsara
17th January 2012, 10:43 AM
My BR hatch 20 no problem at all, trick is to have a deep bowl shaped nest as opposed to a flat spread out one.

CEW79
17th January 2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds good Cinsara but how do you make such a nest?

sueandpat
17th January 2012, 02:52 PM
We have one Miss Clucky (15 months old) - hyline sitting on 10, she has been on them since last Monday. She is doing extremely well, and very protective of her eggs now. We have put her away in a quiet area on her own so there are little disturbances.

stephclark
17th January 2012, 03:00 PM
emm Miss crazy looking bantee is smaller than the hyline and she hatched 9 in oct and is on 6 again now.. they are BPR eggs, so the chicks are alot bigger and grow faster than her little bantee chicks do ..she still managed the 9, with a little bit of a struggle [:)]

CEW79
18th January 2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds good Cinsara but how do you make such a nest?

[:)][:)]

Sue
18th January 2012, 04:13 PM
Shape a bowl of turf in the nest box, and line it with shavings. The damp earth (yes Simkin I know you don't think it necessary!) helps keeps the humidity in the nest up, just as it would out under a flax bush or a hedge, and the cup shape ensure the eggs slope in toward the centre. It just needs to be about the depth of a dust bathing hole.

CEW79
18th January 2012, 05:33 PM
So Sue, do you dig up a bit of turf/grass with earth attached ? Do you put that in the nesting box, grass side up or dirt side up? How then do you shape it into a bowl :confused::confused:

Or have a got the wrong idea ?

Sorry I'm being a bit durrrr ish :o:o

Sue
18th January 2012, 06:42 PM
Well it is a long time since I helped an old, english gamekeeper make nests for broodies sitting on pheasant eggs, back in Yorkshire! From what I remember he just dug up the turf, and put it in the coop, it was a little bigger than the nest, so turned up round the edges, and was grass side up. I think he just put hay in on top.

Shouldn't be too hard just to get a 'turf' square, and kind of stamp it down in the centre to form a bit of a hollow to line the nest box. You can of course just put shavings in, but you need a good depth, she will probably shuffle a hole in the centre anyway, to form the nest. It is just that the turf, with roots, tend to hold its shape better than shavings which move around.
Of course there is hay and straw, but these can get mouldy too, and the spores can get into the pores of the shell and grow in the embryos!

CEW79
18th January 2012, 07:18 PM
Great [:D] Thanks Sue, now I understand. Will give it a go, if Penny decides to go broody again this year [:D][:D]

Cinsara
18th January 2012, 08:11 PM
Sounds good Cinsara but how do you make such a nest?Sorry CEW I just saw this Q [:I] We all have our own ways, Sue has hers which sounds great but I am a total lazy ar$e so I just put a few inches of dry shavings in the nest area and make a well, then I place dry hay which I have scrunched into a round shape and place it into the well, then I press it down in the middle and fiddle a bit loosley so it forms a bowl. I'm with Simkin, I don't add extra moisture to a nest as I have never needed to ....perhaps the Auckland humidity and the hens sweat plus any dew she walks through on her daily ablutions are enough.

CEW79
18th January 2012, 08:20 PM
No worries Cinsara. Last year I just used hay and it got flattened out all the time so I think I will give Sue's idea a go and also go for 10 or 12 eggs. All I need now is for one of the girls to go clucky :-) P l e a s e !!!! LOL

Cinsara
18th January 2012, 08:27 PM
Forgot to say I put a barrier up between the nest and the rest of the night area, a block of wood of similar, never had a hen flatten it out yet. Edited to say I have just popped out and taken this pic of Smalls (BR/SLW X) sitting on 20 eggs.

She has been tight for 2 weeks now....can you spot any eggs? The black thing just showing infront of her is a roofing tile keeping the nest from slipping into the rest of the covered area.