PDA

View Full Version : Trimming goat hooves

pisa
14th September 2011, 07:03 PM
Hi all,
I've been trimming the girls hooves a bit at a time and looking for some good photos or illustrations on how they should look.
And I came across this set:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-trim-a-goats-hooves.pageCd-storyboard,pageNum-6.html

I just had to giggle: if I sat behind my girls for longer than 1 min I'd get either washed or pellets down my shirt!
[:D]

highgirl
14th September 2011, 07:58 PM
I was trying to do my goats the other day and she wasn't nearly as easy as they make it look! She didn't appreciate a free pedicure at all [;)]

4trees
14th September 2011, 10:33 PM
Hi, somebody maybe able to help, one of the goat people posted some photos about trimming their hooves, and treating them about 12 months or more ago. Try a search there were photos and descriptions that went with it. Cheers.

katieb
14th September 2011, 10:40 PM
haha pisa

I usually get bitten by one of mine... she doesnt like me... im learning to be quick though... quick at trimming and quick at moving when I think shes going to bite... my backside is her fav spot

Andrea
15th September 2011, 07:05 AM
It was Gaalburn who posted the photos, so maybe have a search for that?

That's a good set of diagrams for how feet should look, but it's still hard to judge if you don't see the goat standing nice and square. It's hard to describe and hard to get just right. I've been doing it 12 years and only just started getting it just right a couple of years ago.

eelcat
15th September 2011, 07:45 AM
When your bunny babies are big enough to leave their mum, I could come out and we could do it together. Definitely easier with two until you know what to do. If I'm doing mine by myself, I tie them to a gate, so that I can push them into the gate to immobilise them in that direction. I do find standing over them facing backwards a good way too, but I do need someone at the front to stop the goat exiting from underneath me forwards[:D]. MInd you, my goats are a tad shorter than your girls.

eelcat
15th September 2011, 07:48 AM
I agree, I'm not sure I'd want to sit behind any of ours, however, looking at the pictures, reminded me that it is easy to if they are occupied in the milking stand if you have one, though I do it from the side.

pisa
15th September 2011, 08:21 AM
So far I have been able to trim them either when they were lying down or jammed against the gate. But long term it'll be on the milking stand where they can be secured properly.[;)] It's good to have a diagram as what the ideal should be, I'm working towards that.
Sometime I will photograph all their hooves and get opinions on it, also on the colouring of the hooves. I suppose just like with humans the colourings and markings could be an indicator of nutritional issues?

The girls have been able to do some serious grazing for the last days and I'm so happy to see their bellies developing the classic barrel shape. It's amazing, a week ago I thought they looked too skinny and now they look like a big healthy calf!

@Andrea comforting to know it'll take me a while to master that, I won't go in trimming too much. Especially the soft looking part at the back of the hoof.

@eelcat you're more than welcome to just come for a cuppa! [;)][:D]
Just checked on the babies: it's beautiful to observe that after only 24 hours they already have the first shiny silky coat. Nothing like their proper fur, but they look so delicate like that. I suppose only a mother could find them beautiful at this stage. [:p]

spoook
15th September 2011, 09:15 AM
The most important thing to know, and the hardest to learn, about trimming goat's feet............. it has taken the past few weeks, months or whatever period of time, for the hoof to grow like it is......... you probably won't be able to have a perfect hoof after the first trim.
That, I am still learning [;)]

Clive Dalton's words echo in my head each time I trim.......... "if you want to know how to trim, look at a newborn's feet".

Remember, what makes goat's fleece grow also makes their hooves grow. Great for the angora, hard work for the angora owner [:I]

pisa
15th September 2011, 09:24 AM
spoook, so does that mean if the coat looks healthy the hoof growth is most likely to be healthy too?

I'm pleased I'm not into angora goats, I don't know if I could cope with all that extra work.
I had considered getting angora rabbits, as they are smaller therefore easier to handle, but they are SOOO expensive, and not a lot around.[;)][:0]

eelcat
15th September 2011, 09:45 AM
How soon should I need to trim our kids hooves - they are now 6 weeks old

katieb
15th September 2011, 09:48 AM
Hey Pisa
If you are looking for angora rabbits, a couple called Heather & Denis may be able to help you. They used to run the angora shearing shed in Waitomo, they closed it in November last year but still have the rabbits, they are kept in big barns, they make sure they are kept in clean conditions so they dont need grooming, each rabbit gets shorn every 3 months so they dont overheat & die. They still have their website www.angorashearingshed.co.nz (http://www.angorashearingshed.co.nz) so you can contact them via that, im not sure if they ever sell the rabbits but im sure they will answer any questions you have, they are a nice couple, Heather has spent years spinning, knitting & teaching tourists about the rabbits while Denis cleans & feeds the rabbits & barns.

pisa
15th September 2011, 10:02 AM
thanks Katie , will do.

Iniuk
15th September 2011, 11:39 AM
My first goat, the redoubtable Kath, had a tanty when I tried to trim her feet so I began trimming them monthly, on the stand, with a snack. I just pick them up like I would a horse's hoof.
Doing it frequently made it easier, she calmed down, also if I did a less than perfect job I knew I would be doing it again soon and felt less guilt !

Andrea
15th September 2011, 12:48 PM
I don't start trimming hooves till the kids are about 4-5 months, as they don't usually need it before then. However, I start handling legs and feet from day one, so they are used to having their feet picked up, checked and trimmed. Just makes management that much easier down the road.

spoook
15th September 2011, 01:45 PM
Eelcat, the die hard goat breeders say...... "do not trim goat's feet, they will naturally break off".
I have seen the evidence in some of my goats but have not managed to stop myself trimming them. [:I]

Regards the kid's feet, it depend a lot on the type of goat.
Ferals, at one end of the scale, I would doubt you would need to trim for ages, if ever.
Angora, the other end, I would watch for growth that could be causing bad conformation or hoof damage where the hoof is delaminating from the foot.

eelcat
15th September 2011, 02:24 PM
All but one of our goats are Rawhitis and have very good feet that require occasional trimming. Good idea Andrea (have sent you a PM) about handling the feet and legs early. Will get on to the straight away.

Andrea
15th September 2011, 04:21 PM
Most of my Rawhitis, except for a couple of wierdies, only need their feet done once or twice a year, and a lot of them need it even less frequently! GOt your PM, been busy working on a couple of newsletters, articles, paying bills... all of which I got really behind with being sick... will reply soon![:I][:I]

Stu_R
15th September 2011, 06:11 PM
um :( maybe i am a bad boy :( .. but i have never touched Moillie's feet or Eee Bee's ... they are Ferrals ..., and they seem fine .. have had Mollie for over 3 years now and Eee bee is comming up 2 years old ... maybe i am just lucky :)

Kate
15th September 2011, 06:25 PM
Yoda, our old feral goat (RIP) needed a hoof trim once every five years or so [:D] The angoras on the other hand, need a lot of attention as Spoook said [:(] They are gorgeous though [:D][:D]

Andrea
15th September 2011, 06:45 PM
Eelcat, the die hard goat breeders say...... "do not trim goat's feet, they will naturally break off".
I have seen the evidence in some of my goats but have not managed to stop myself trimming them. [:I]

Good that you haven't listened to these people, because they are seriously misinformed! You just need to see a few goats walking around on skis to realise that they do not break off. Given the correct terrain for a goat (rocky outcrops, dry ground), the hooves will wear naturally, and rarely need trimming, but the farmed, domesticated goat will need its hooves trimmed!

spoook
15th September 2011, 07:03 PM
Especially with our soft ground [;)]

LongRidge
15th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Sore feet to goats and sheep is extremely painful. I strongly think that people that don't do enough care to ensure that the goat/sheep is not in pain should be prosecuted.
I haven't seen the pictures, but do some of ours when they are standing. I do it just as you would do a horse hoof, by lifting back legs backwards and front legs forwards. If they won't stand still to straddle them and hold them still with my thighs.
For horned goats, it's really easy to lasso the horns. They tend to lean backwards against the rope so don't move around too much. But it is slower than when doing goats that have been trained.