PDA

View Full Version : Pig can't walk

Xartep
5th August 2010, 10:59 AM
Just went out to feed the pigs and Mrs Pig didn't come out of the shed.

She made it to the doorway so I went and checked on her, she can sit up but is unable to lift her rear end off the ground. She is very chatty, and happily eating her breakfast. She is in a warm dry spot with a water bowl within reach.

She was walking just fine when I fed them yesterday afternoon.

There has been some excitement for her in the last week, with us having to catch her and re-ring her nose on Sunday, and some of her piglets going off to their new family yesterday. But I can't see any damage to her legs or back.

Any ideas as to what may be wrong with her?

Pumpkingirl
5th August 2010, 11:03 AM
Is she dragging her back end? Did you try to make her stand up? Did she show signs of distress/pain if you touched her on her back end?

If she's unable to stand (vs being lazy for example) I would be calling the vet pronto, that doesn't sound good, especially if she was ok yesterday.

Pumpkingirl
5th August 2010, 11:07 AM
And I don't mean to worry you at all, but I found this in the Merck Veterinary Dictionary (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/182703.htm):

Mineral Deficiency: Deficiencies of calcium or phosphorus result in rickets ( Rickets (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/90308.htm)) in growing pigs and osteomalacia in mature pigs. Signs include deformity and bending of long bones and lameness in young pigs, and fractures and posterior paralysis (a result of fractures in the lumbar region) in older pigs. Sows that produce high levels of milk and nurse large litters are particularly susceptible to posterior paralysis toward the end of lactation or after weaning if dietary calcium or phosphorus is deficient. These signs can also result from a deficiency of vitamin D, but phosphorus deficiency is the most common cause.

Cinsara
5th August 2010, 11:13 AM
Stroke?

Ronney
5th August 2010, 11:38 AM
Petra, from you description and her recent history, I would think Osteomalacia - bright, alert and in a dog-sitting position.

If you haven't weaned the rest of her piglets do so and give a calcium supplement such as limestone or dicalcium phosphate. Have a word to your vet, they may have something nicely packaged with instructions on how much to give her. She'll come right[:)]

Cheers,
Ronnie

Xartep
5th August 2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Ronney

She has as good as weaned her piglets...[;)]

Vet will be here soon.

2-3 more babies going today, which only leaves 2-3 at home. They can go into piglet colditz[;)], and she can stay in the nice paddock.

Your description is spot on. WOW that hits fast, I was being complimented on Sunday on what great condition she is in...

Cheers

Xartep
5th August 2010, 11:47 AM
Forgot to say she only had 7 piglets, but they are very robust, glossy fat things...

Xartep
5th August 2010, 12:48 PM
Vets been, gave Mrs Pig an anti-inflammatory injection and some AB's as she had a slight temp.

Mrs Pig is pretty smart and she knows that when a stranger arrives in her shed, its could get unpleasant so she hauled herself up and dragged her sorry lame arse around the paddock at quite a good speed. The Vet said that she was "knuckling" which indicated some muscle damage possibly from a slip while hooning about in the mud yesterday.[:0][:(]

So I had to tackle her and hold her down while she got her jabs. Now I'm not very strong and don't weigh very much but it was us two girls (vets tiny BTW) against feisty Mrs Pig, lucky she loves me and isn't a large white or black, just a staunch medium sized feral cross.[8D]

I will make her up some lovely warm muck (its bread day today YEAH!) as per your delicious sounding recipe in that other thread Ronnie and add some dolomite and vitamins to it for her dinner.

Vet said it might take a few days but she should be fine.[:D]

Pumpkingirl
5th August 2010, 12:50 PM
Woohoo, that's great news! Well done on the pig wrangling, something Wilbur and I do not see eye to eye on.

Stu_R
5th August 2010, 01:13 PM
:) Great news Xartep :)
um after having met you , and if vet is a tiny lady .. lol Mrs pig could have been twice as powerfull of both of you :)
As you said :) just as well Mrs Pig loves you :)
Well done my friend :)

eelcat
5th August 2010, 01:34 PM
Her two babies that have moved over here are now in their Piggy Hilton - accommodation fit for a (or several) king(s). OH pleased with "his boys" - both seem good

Xartep
6th August 2010, 11:29 AM
No great change, still chirpy and eating. She has dragged herself out of her shed to sit in the sun.

Took a bit of work to get the piglets away, but they are now locked up away from her, so she can rest without being bothered.

Ronney
6th August 2010, 11:20 PM
That's all good Petra. May take her a few days or longer to come right but no reason why she shouldn't.

For a bit of humour. I cook the pig food in an area off the cowshed. Somebody called in one day to have a yarn and asked why I was cooking dinner at the cowshed. It took a second for the penny to drop.[:p] Sometimes it can smell very good and I often think the pigs eat nearly as well as us, if not better sometimes.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Xartep
7th August 2010, 08:23 AM
That's all good Petra. May take her a few days or longer to come right but no reason why she shouldn't.

For a bit of humour. I cook the pig food in an area off the cowshed. Somebody called in one day to have a yarn and asked why I was cooking dinner at the cowshed. It took a second for the penny to drop.[:p] Sometimes it can smell very good and I often think the pigs eat nearly as well as us, if not better sometimes.

Cheers,
Ronnie

LOL I used to get that when I was making home made dog loaf - full of garlic and meat and veges and herbs sometimes it smelt awesome.[;)]