PDA

View Full Version : Washing and Reproofing synthetic horse rug

Country Girl
26th March 2010, 10:55 AM
Hey guys
Just need to get the old winter cover cleaned - its an orican - saddlery warehouse say they wash for 15.00 and re-proof for 17.00 anyone used this service? or do you just do it yourself. Easy enough to do the old canvas ones myself but not sure of these synthetics. [:)]

Cheers
Louise

bevhawkins
26th March 2010, 01:41 PM
I have used this service a few times and its brilliant - rugs come back like new.

drifter
26th March 2010, 03:37 PM
I chuck mine in the washing machine. Hose off and scrub if required. The spray on reproofing stuff is great.
However, if I only had one or two to do I would use the SW service, I've heard good reports.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Stikkibeek
26th March 2010, 08:25 PM
I always used to use 1 tin of waterproofer to the same quantity of metalex warmed and painted on. rugs never rotted, and remained water proof for several years before needing to be recoated.

Country Girl
26th March 2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys I will drop mine into SW tomorrow [:D]

Louise

Toast
27th March 2010, 07:10 AM
Good reports on this site re the SW Cambridge service.

To anybody in the lower North Island, One Black Horse advertises the service & I've discussed it with the owner (see website - the re-proofing stuff goes in the washing machine with the rug). My one & only synthetic rug is going there for washing/re-proofing on my next trip to Wellington. It's only beong kept as a spare but want it to be in good order.

Stikkibeak - Do you use that mixture on canvas as well?

Stikkibeek
27th March 2010, 08:56 AM
Stikkibeek - Do you use that mixture on canvas as well?Yes. I mostly used canvas covers. Metalex doesn't smell the greatest, (IMO) but it's easier to tolerate when you don't have to replace expensive rugs too often. We also did our cow/calf covers with this mixture as they were just made of jute. Leather straps wore out or went brittle and broke, long before the jute rotted.

Toast
28th March 2010, 09:02 AM
Stikkibeak - thanks for that, sounds. Yes, Metalex is great for preventing rot. I'm just about to semi-retire a canvas wool-lined rug after about 10 years of use. The Swandri lining is wearing very thin.

What brand of waterproofer did you mix with the Metalex?

What do you all suggest for re-proofing a canvas awning (presumably for caravan or campervan) - local is enquiring.

Thanks.

ravenseyes
29th March 2010, 11:27 AM
We use SW Cambridge all the time - good job and really helps make covers last

Stikkibeek
29th March 2010, 12:46 PM
It was called rainex and came in a tin like a paint tin. I haven't had to use it in a long time, but if still available you should be able to get it from the likes of RD1, Profarm, or mitre 10. Ring around.

It was used for proofing tents, raincoats etc. but the metalex gave the added advantage.

Cinsara
29th March 2010, 01:13 PM
I find plain old silicone spray works well (available in supermarkets). It is not heavy duty but usually lasts a season and is especially good if the cover starts to leak along seam lines part way through the winter and you can't take it off and send it away for a few days. If the horse is willing you can touch up the cover while it is on the horse - make sure the horse is facing into the wind :-)

Toast
30th March 2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Stikkibeak & Cinsara. Silicone spray sounds good to have around as a back-up, especially for seams. I should be ok for spares as the synthetic one I'm referring to is destined to be a spare & I'm about to put a new one on one horse & hers can be semi-retired as the lining is getting very thin & it's just getting old - not bad for nine years though.