PDA

View Full Version : Best spray if any for Barlery grass and californian thistles

beaker
27th December 2009, 09:00 PM
Hi all whats the best spray for barley grass and I guess while we are at it californian Thistles as well,
thanks in advance
Beaker

terralee
28th December 2009, 06:59 AM
Our cali thistle forest has taken 3 years to eradicate with the spray recommended for it to us by knowledgable salesman at Farmlands ...We used Agritone ...works really well and our land is nearly cali free just the odd few trying to pop up which we will see to with Agritone again ..next year will all probably be all gone ...we could have made hay this year as there are so few but the previous two years it was so full of calis we did not bother.
Can't help with the barley grass as our sheep appear to have eaten it all from the paddocks so only have a small amount lining the edge of the driveway:)
Cheers

LongRidge
28th December 2009, 10:03 AM
Check that your thistles really are calis. Nodding look very similar to calis but are much easier to get rid of, using MCPA at 150ml/15 litres of water. I suspect that calis need something more powerful .... but we don't have any.
I think there is a chemical specifically made for barley grass, but we've never used it. They either get eaten by the donkeys, or pulled out by hand.

Xartep
28th December 2009, 12:35 PM
Teadal (sp?) is supposed to get rid of Barley Grass, but you need to spray BEFORE the seed heads come up, around July/August, which means taking note of where it is now and spraying then. Also Pharis grass is supposed to out compete it, but they tell me at the seed merchants that that type of grass isn't very nutritious.
I have also been told that 5% Roundup works, but don't like the idea of that. My sheep have to be left with no other alternative before they will touch the stuff.

reggit
28th December 2009, 04:19 PM
Teedal is even earlier than that, I think, Xartep, more like April/May...:rolleyes: very expensive stuff to buy.

Calis - what do you already have on hand, beaker, might be able to tell you if it will work for these...

Toast
29th December 2009, 10:15 AM
Barley Grass - Too late to spray now. Best thing to do right now is to map where the barley grass is on your property. Digital camera would be great for this. Then you spray that area in the winter with the correct spray for barley grass.

If hay has been made with barley grass in it, feed the hay out under trees or in one central area so that what grows from the hay is all in the one spot.

Good luck. It's beastly stuff but it can be beaten.

reggit
29th December 2009, 02:53 PM
Good luck. It's beastly stuff but it can be beaten.

Just had ANOTHER foot abscess from barley grass, Bob the ram this time. I have a 10ml syringe of ABs from the vets here to give him, he won't be best pleased :(

No problems previous years that we can link to this, but this year...two body abscesses and one foot abscess on our ram, one lamb with foot abscess, and one ewe with abscess on her butt [:(!] - oh and one suspected abscess near an ear :(

kaponga
29th December 2009, 05:53 PM
You can beat barley grass without spraying. But its not easy.
It needs to be grazed to the boards before it sets seed. As Xartep mentioned, sheep will eat it; if there are minimal other options. As far as I know its more palatable when its younger.
This method relies on the fact that its an annual. So if you graze it right down, using a mob of dried off ewes or something else similar that you aren't trying to fatten, and keep grazing it. It will go away.

One summer my grandfather cleaned out the paddock next to our house. 500 ewes spend the day in a 1 acre paddock for weeks. Strip grazed them on something else over the evening I think; not entirely sure, but do remember them being moved daily so they had alternative food for some part of the day.

Tis a good idea about feeding out in the area that its prevalent in. I'm going to try that under the walnut trees. Make it harder for the darn stuff to grow; give it some competition.

Dogs and abscess', nasty. Never had the experience of one in sheep from barley grass.

Toast
30th December 2009, 08:34 AM
Dad fed out under a macrocarpa shelter belt where the ground was bare. Was good shelter for the cows while eating & as it was fairly barren the seeds didn't take very well. Also he knew where to go to spray. He was fanatical about it & all but had it beaten before he sold the property, having arrived there 19 years before to a state of neglect, weeds & no fertiliser.

snokmz
8th January 2010, 03:51 PM
Yip Teedal for barley grass. as has been said map out area and spray may/June. Also during seed growth I mow it and catch the seed heads then dispose of them away from property. i had one paddock that was 90% barley grass now it's about 2% after 3 years.

Agritone kills cali thistles really well as does MCPA, I also has a cali forest I'm slowly clearing

rose
8th January 2010, 04:28 PM
So with the barley grass am I correct that if it is mapped out (or in our case the whole paddock [:(]) and sprayed May/June the whole area of barley grass will die off and create a bare paddock, then whatever seeds are in the ground will come through next spring, mow down as much as poss, then spray whatever comes through again May/June and just keep continuing this cycle until gone? Does that sound right?

Stu_R
8th January 2010, 06:06 PM
:) well today, saw Trixy ewe and Molly ewe leaning through the fence to eat Cali's :) so i leave it up to my sheep

max2
8th January 2010, 07:59 PM
The calis are growing thick and fast in our paddocks as well, despite spraying for broad leaf earlier in the piece and spraying for normal scotch thistles via quad bike as well.

its the bane of SOH's life at the moment, as soon as he has found a solution I will post.

terralee
9th January 2010, 05:46 AM
Agritone saw to our cali forests swaggie:) took 3 years but all pretty much gone now except for the odd try hard which is being despatched as we see them:)
Cheers

LongRidge
9th January 2010, 11:20 AM
The best ever invention to get rid of barley grass, and I suspect calis as well, is a flock of donkeys. They love the seeds of barley grass, and of thistles, and their digestive system is such that the seeds get destroyed. So, if you feel like an ass, see if you can hire 4 or 6 (they should always be in pairs) for 6 months, then buy the two that you like best.

Mich
9th January 2010, 11:25 AM
Longridge, that's what I call a way cool suggestion. I'd love a couple of donkeys.... Do they eat thistles as well???? [:)]
Cheers, Mich.

LongRidge
9th January 2010, 11:31 AM
They love thistle flowers, but if pushed will also eat the leaves. Ours like blackberry, rushes, broom flowers, and barberry fruit and leaves in autumn, but are not keen on gorse.

Mich
9th January 2010, 11:50 AM
Hmmmm, I could definitely get into Donkeys - I love them. Oh dear, LR, you've got my mind working overtime here...
Cheers, Mich.

Will
9th January 2010, 07:40 PM
I got rid of mine with roundup, marked where it was in the summer sprayed in the spring, and sowed grass seed the same day.

snokmz
10th January 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi Rose,
My barley grass died off but it didn't harm the other grasses so I've not had to resow. it may be just wild grass that grew back but I certainly don't have a bare patch. yes just spray and the mow (with catcher) any seed heads when they're nice and tall but still green. The seed head will grow again but not as long so you mow them as well. I have to spray two years may/June and mow three years and have almost no barley grass left in that paddock now.

oldecurb
11th January 2010, 07:57 PM
Two organic suggestions though I'm not averse to Roundup!!

With the barley grass try cutting it back hard each year once the seed heads appear. We have been doing that for 4 years now and it is noticeably less.

For cali's our boer goats eat the flower buds. Again after 4 years the cali's are about 50% what they were.

Hawkspur
12th January 2010, 09:04 AM
Some grass seed farmers, and some cattle stud farmers I know, use the traditional method of grubbing out thistles individually. Labour intensive, but they use the kids for that.[;)]

dc4
12th January 2010, 04:26 PM
I've always been a fan of chemical warfare. For the calis on the properties we've owned I've used Tordon Gold (now unavailable?) in the past with good results but now use Versitil.