PDA

View Full Version : Fly Repellant/Killer - Household

Toast
2nd December 2007, 01:08 PM
What's the best in fly repellant and/or killer for the house?

Opinions please? Plus info on chemical content etc.

I'm just about to buy liver to set up my outside Gordy's fly-traps which do help. However, it's my first summer in this house & the effects of Gordy's traps don't really show in the first year.

Thanks.

wino
2nd December 2007, 01:33 PM
We found our Gordy's fly trap worked within a week of setting it up - the neighbours noticed too that there was a reduction in flies.

Mint round the doors and windows can help.

reggit
2nd December 2007, 01:37 PM
I heard the same about basil, wino :)

rob
2nd December 2007, 03:20 PM
we use Robocan, does a good job

Rob

Birman Babe
2nd December 2007, 04:06 PM
I have a kitten nursery which is a room detatched from the house, divided into 2. I get sooo many flies in there. What with the kittens poopy litter trays and their food (I pick up all wet food before 11am) I was going spare. I bought those things they are advertising which stick to your glass window panes and bingo, I dont seem to have any flies...and I have all the windows open. Anyone else tried them. They are supposed to last for 2 months.

Kalmara
2nd December 2007, 04:09 PM
Robo Can - work really well
Have used both the repellant and killer, they both appear to do the same job.

cheers

Kate
2nd December 2007, 04:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Birman Babe

I bought those things they are advertising which stick to your glass window panes and bingo, I dont seem to have any flies...and I have all the windows open.

BB for those of us who don't see advertising, what are these things?

Cheers
Kate

The Kats Place
2nd December 2007, 05:02 PM
Robocan and some spraying with ripcord under eves, in animal shelters and chook houses. I also have a robocan in the cattery.

Birman Babe
2nd December 2007, 05:07 PM
Dunno now, thrown the packaging out. You get 2 to a pack, you peel the back off & stick to clean window pane (high up away from stick fingers/paws). Then you peel the front sheet off and it leaves a sticky flower shaped thing stuck to your window. The flies dont stick to it, they apparently are attracted to the flowery(?) smell, eat it, then die. I havent seen any dead flies lying around (kittens probably munched them up)nor have I seen any flies around. Going out to feed in a minute so will check again today as I have only had them up for 24hrs. Normally there are 6 or more blow flies hovering around in there. Okay, not a fly in sight yet in my hubbys shed (right next door) there are heaps. Gonna buy another couple of these things when I go the supermarket this week :-)

Valmai
2nd December 2007, 06:57 PM
BB I saw the ad for them last night, and thought...Nah to easy!!! But now will have to try them out. TA

Toast
2nd December 2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks, BB.

Will try them.

Have had Robocan & didn't like the fly spray smell through the house (I'm home in the daytime a lot). Also, didn't think it was effective, however it's run out & there were heaps of flies & they stayed longer!

Will look out for the window strips. If you can't remember the name, can you remember which supermarket? Hope to get Gordy's traps set up soon & that will hopefully stop lots before they come inside.

Thanks for all the help.

Birman Babe
2nd December 2007, 08:52 PM
I bought them at Pak n Save.

spoook
2nd December 2007, 09:54 PM
Was it a Vapona product???

beedee
3rd December 2007, 05:07 AM
HeeHee BB, so we are both suckersfor that ad.. mine are the raid ones spoook, the mortein folk also put one out.. Avalilable at any supermarket by the fly spray cans....;)
I didnt stick mine on until last night so it will be interesting.. my back door is the flight path for dem large blowflies and in they come about 10 am.. Ive thought of sticking one on the door window on the outside.. to kill before they enter.. but trialling the window that they then go and fly to in the corner of the pantry area.. I am supersensitive to most insect repellants [obviously an insect in a former life] so like the ability to be able to remove it if I find the effects too much[xx(]

maggies mum
3rd December 2007, 05:52 AM
Toast we had a man come out and spray the whole of the inside of the house, The flies a dropping like...........well flies!!

One application lasts 6 months, it kills everything. Saves messing about with cans etc.

RKH
3rd December 2007, 09:44 AM
Hi MM, did the spray smell? We have a fly problem in summer and I want to get someone up to spray, it will have to be inside but I'm not sure about the chemical or smell of it.

maggies mum
3rd December 2007, 11:43 AM
Hi RKH, yes it did for a bit, after the application the house was closed up for 3(4?) hours afterwards, then once you can go in I opened all the doors and windows to ventilate, smell went pretty quickly. It's very good too, everything dies within minutes of entering the house, I have to vacuum the window sills nearly everyday for dead flies. I've even found 2 dead cockroaches! Ugh! And no spiders in the house either
We had the whole house done, the main floor plus the 3 bed flay downstairs and the loft space, $140!

Worth it I reckon.

PS When we've repainted the outside of the house we'll get the outside done too, that cuts down on how many bugs come in too.

RKH
3rd December 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for that MM, will talk to the bugman today and see what he thinks. Good to know it worked for spiders too.

beedee
3rd December 2007, 12:49 PM
does that not worry you, that it kills cockroaches and spiders, when both were found alive on the atolls where the nuclear testing was done????

RKH
3rd December 2007, 12:52 PM
Beedee, I'm not so worried about the spiders but the flies do my head in, last year they were like locusts! I've tried the window stickers, the things that sit on the window sills, the whole lot, but nothing worked. Yes I am concerned about the chemical, that's why I asked and why I'll be talking to my bugman before we do anything about it. Cockroaches are no problem down here, thank goodness!

jen
3rd December 2007, 06:12 PM
I'm keen to try the stck on things.. most fly spray wreak havoc with my asthma.. the pyrethrum/'natural' ones aren't as bad but still not the best.. if those stickers work I'm going to be really chuffed!!!
I've got a couple gordy's traps but can't find buckets/pails to sit them on!

Angie
4th December 2007, 05:52 AM
The Warehouse has a robo-can type spray called "Expra" that has a "100% Natural Pyrethrum" range. I bought one the other day as my Robocan ran out and the warehouse didn't have that particular refill. The other brand doesn't fit the unit however, so I can't tell you how good it is.

maggies mum
4th December 2007, 05:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by beedee

does that not worry you, that it kills cockroaches and spiders, when both were found alive on the atolls where the nuclear testing was done????

Only that the 'orrible things are in my house to start with![B)]

Compared to exhaust fumes and all the chemicals bandied about I'm not concerned about my bug spray!

Toast
19th December 2007, 08:43 PM
I got the sticky things for the windows, the Mortein brand, made in Germany. Put up four of them & I've never seen a flie go near them. Bit like watching a pot & expecting to see it boil.

Anyway, am getting desired result with dead flies on windowsill & reduction in them making a mess & buzzing around.

Set up my Gordy's traps too so that is reducing the number coming near the house.

Thanks. Hopefully I've got the answer & reasonably cheaply & painlessly too.

Valmai
19th December 2007, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by jen

I've got a couple gordy's traps but can't find buckets/pails to sit them on!

http://www.terranova.org.nz/terranova/christchurch/index.cfm/?weAction=category&categoryID=12&wanted=0
Heaps of free plastic buckets here.

gemini kiwi
20th December 2007, 07:14 AM
We get a lot of flies, can't stand them in the house, we have an old homestead with sash windows, and being surrounded by dairy farm the flies are plenty, we stapled fly screen around the window frames onto all our windows that open................solved our problems and no noxious chemicals. It worries me the way they advertise that spray, something like works for 6 months solid, but its completely harmless. My neighbours have it done, give me fly screens any day.
Tess

Birman Babe
20th December 2007, 07:41 AM
Toast, no I never see any flys near those stick-on thingies either but they seem to be doing the job.

The Kats Place
20th December 2007, 12:24 PM
I made the mistake of puting the stick on thingy in a very sunny window and I have go gunk trickling down the window and it is a bigga to clean off! They do appear to work though.

ronnie
21st December 2007, 08:31 AM
I Bought some of these stick-on-the-window stickers last week. They seem to be doing a very good job. Definately not so many flies in the house, and a few dead ones on the window sill.

I got a packet with 4 stickers in it for around $10. Must go put the other 3 up around the house..........

cheers
Jan

Rachel I
21st December 2007, 10:28 AM
Gemini Kiwi - how did you do your fly screen, where do you get them? we too have sash windows and would love to be able to put up something temporary that didn't affect the look too much. Tried the house spraying and went back in to open windows after the recommended 4 hours and could hardly breathe had to come out again and couldn't stop coughing for hours. The dogs also started throwing up and did this for about 3 days. They also seemed obsessed with the dead flies and faster than I could clear them up they would eat them! Spoke to the company that did the sptraying who said they'd never heard anything like it and suggested it was just a coincidence - I don't think so - would never spray again.

sod
21st December 2007, 02:33 PM
Fly screens didnt work for us :) dogs kept jumping through them @#%^&*()* dumb dogs trying to catch the flys :D

Birman Babe
21st December 2007, 02:45 PM
On our old wooden windows we have white framed slide along screens. They sit on the internal sill. Dont look that bad; better than having flies & mozzies hovering 24/7.

gemini kiwi
21st December 2007, 04:47 PM
Rachel,
We like the black coated fibre glass one from Mitre 10, we had the wire one but it rusts and the grey stuff just looks wrong, we can see through the black one better than the grey. When we first arrived here the flies were unreal, so we cut it to size and stapled it on the outside of the window frame using a staple gun to fix it all on.
tess.

Rachel I
24th December 2007, 09:16 AM
GK - thanks for that - definitely something to investigate.