PDA

View Full Version : Whiteware!!

charlotte1
10th August 2009, 02:16 PM
Argh!!! Having a bad run on the whiteware at the moment, had the fixit man here this morning to look at dishwasher and washing machine.

The dishwasher is not going beyond the wash cycle and then it floods itself...... well the washing machine is really noisey on the spin and this morning it smelt a bit hot while spinning.

So he has taken the dishwasher away to get a better look. If it is going to cost more than 100 to fix I will not get it repaired (10yrs old). He said that the washing machine has about a week left in it before its a gonner and will cost about 350 to repair(12 yrs old), so will get a new one.

I can live without a dishwasher but not a washing machine. Can anyone recommend washers that are decent in what they do and price.

Both are F&P. Smartdrive and Nautilis.

Organix
10th August 2009, 03:46 PM
If you haven't already go the Front Loader way and you'll never go back :cool:

Low water consumption, far less wear and tear on your washing, fast spin for minimum drying, and if you spend a little more and get a reputable European make (e.g. Asko, Bosch) you can expect 20+ years with little maintenance [:D]

Xartep
10th August 2009, 04:34 PM
My F&P dishdrawer recently did the same thing, I now have a shiney new Baumatic Dishwasher, which I can only rave about. Having spent 4 years dealing with an old dishdrawer this is bliss.

I regularly eye up the washing machines also as ours isn't far from replacement and I agree with Oraganix, front loader. Used a modern one when in the states last year and it was so easy. Aside from the other benefits of being gentler on the clothes, getting them cleaner, needing less water and detergent.[:D]

Dream Weaver
10th August 2009, 09:53 PM
I have the F&P big machine, its 8kg one with no agitator and its great as you can use it like a front loader by adjusting the setting, makes it good for water consumption to. Brilliant for duvets etc. My old machine was a smartdrive and was 12 years old when it finally died.

DiDi
10th August 2009, 10:40 PM
smilie - I'm glad you have mentioned this one as I looked at that model But smaller version) recently and thought it would be my next purchase. Mine is on the way out too.

I did reply to this late this afternoon but a go slow meant my answer timed out. My problem with the front loaders is the concern of bending over to get out heavy wet washing so was very pleased to see a top loader without an agitator. I am also aware of how many times I forget to put something in the machine and am able to do so with a top loader.

Not meaning to diss front loaders - just never understood the physical advantages.

Simkin
10th August 2009, 11:49 PM
We ditched F&P when we bought a new washing machine. When we bought the house it came with very well used appliances like a 10 year old dishwasher, a 30 year old oven, and we had a 7 year old fridge. Lots of F&P, all good quality, dishwasher was 25+years when it died, oven 47 years, washing machine 20+ years and on it goes. The first replacement was a fridge - F&P. Needed repairs during first 2 years. Then dishwasher- new F&P, lots of trouble. Then F&P oven - repair needed during first 2 years. So when we bought a washing machine we went for a Samsung. Happy so far.

When I discussed the poor performance of the newer F&P products vs the excellent performance of the older versions with the repair man I was told that all components are now made in South East Asia. So when F&P announced that they would move the assembly to Thailand we didn't see any reason for paying 50% more for their now crappy products when it doesn't even pay to employ New Zealanders on their assembly lines.

Ronney
11th August 2009, 12:12 AM
Charlotte, I think everybody will tell you that whiteware all craps out at the same time - you buy new stuff and have 10 years to save the money to buy the next round.[^]

I posed this question re washing machines nearly two years ago when my F&P top loader shit itself after 8 years and was going to cost a fortune to repair. I was not impressed. Anyway, the resounding answers were in favour of front loaders so with that in mind I went shopping. Came home with a Bosch (Sp?) front loader and don't regret it. The biggest factor has been the water savings. We are on rain water and although we get more than our fair share over the winter, the summer is a different kettle of fish. For the first time ever, we haven't gone below using half a tank in the worst part of the dry and I would say that is 100% washing machine. This machine uses 61 litres to do a full load as opposed to the 180 litres the top loader was using - and a full load is the same size for both machines. It also does a far cleaner wash - no greyish stains left on handtowels where people repeatedly use the same part of the towel, no green stains on my overalls etc.

The Bosch wasn't the cheapest available but the prices at that time were all within a few hundred dollars of each other.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Organix
11th August 2009, 08:00 AM
smilie - I'm glad you have mentioned this one as I looked at that model But smaller version) recently and thought it would be my next purchase. Mine is on the way out too.

I did reply to this late this afternoon but a go slow meant my answer timed out. My problem with the front loaders is the concern of bending over to get out heavy wet washing so was very pleased to see a top loader without an agitator. I am also aware of how many times I forget to put something in the machine and am able to do so with a top loader.

Not meaning to diss front loaders - just never understood the physical advantages.

The thing that convinced us to go the front loader way was when it was pointed out that the lint that ends up in the strainer tray of a top loader used to be part of your clothing. Top loaders' action (agitator or not) is such that your washing is constantly rubbed back and forward against the drum sides of the washer. Over time this drum becomes finely scratched which means it acts as a fine rasp against your washing. Front loaders action continually drops the washing away from the drum so no similar problem, and virtually no lint [:D]

That's apart from the fraction of the water used, far drier spun laundry which is less heavy and dries quicker, less detergent (a quarter) and cleaner clothes :cool:

Simkin
11th August 2009, 08:53 AM
I read with great interest about the advantages of the Bosch front loader. Our very first washing machine was a front loader, but a cheap 'house' band. When we got the top loader the washing was cleaner, dryer, etc. I think it is the superior engineering of those mordern front loaders, not the fact that they are front loaders, that makes the difference. So - don't buy a cheap front loader.

Ronney - 8 years for a F&P top loader? It's no wonder why they don't make the profits they used to make. People just don't see how spending the extra Dollars is justified.

Organix
11th August 2009, 09:20 AM
I read with great interest about the advantages of the Bosch front loader. Our very first washing machine was a front loader, but a cheap 'house' band. When we got the top loader the washing was cleaner, dryer, etc. I think it is the superior engineering of those mordern front loaders, not the fact that they are front loaders, that makes the difference. So - don't buy a cheap front loader.

Ronney - 8 years for a F&P top loader? It's no wonder why they don't make the profits they used to make. People just don't see how spending the extra Dollars is justified.

That advice isn't limited to "cheap front loaders" as we found after fitting out a new kitchen with what we thought were quality 'European' appliances. I won't name brands but the dishwasher and double wall oven were both commonly known 'European' brands and we had no end of problems with both from day one. [:(!] The worst fault was that the oven had a design fault that caused a thermal cut-out to shut it down before it would reach working temperature, and both appliances' NZ importer delayed repairs by months because they wouldn't import the parts required until they could fill a container with an order [:(!][:(!]

It seems that "European" branding does not guarantee quality as some EU manufacturers are no better than their cheap Asian couterparts :(

Dream Weaver
11th August 2009, 02:35 PM
The thing that convinced us to go the front loader way was when it was pointed out that the lint that ends up in the strainer tray of a top loader used to be part of your clothing. Top loaders' action (agitator or not) is such that your washing is constantly rubbed back and forward against the drum sides of the washer. Over time this drum becomes finely scratched which means it acts as a fine rasp against your washing. Front loaders action continually drops the washing away from the drum so no similar problem, and virtually no lint [:D]

That's apart from the fraction of the water used, far drier spun laundry which is less heavy and dries quicker, less detergent (a quarter) and cleaner clothes :cool:

I guess its just personal choice. Have had mine 2 years and have had absolutely no problem with lint. I think some salesmen tell you what they want when it comes to them trying to offload any product. I find the big advantage is that mine can be used like a front loader which saves on water, I have to use front loader detergent with mine not top loader. Its brilliant for duvets and any other BIg stuff, haveing no agitater makes it way more gentle on clothes, its the agitator that does damage. Also there are so so many wash options eg from light to heavy to sheets to allergy wash, jeans and many more. Im stoked with mine and another advantage is if you forget to put something in, you can stop the machine and add. Guess its just whatever the person buying likes. Also good cause there is no bedning. The spin is very good with clothes well spun not coming out drenched unless its a gentle wash or similar.
I have heard its the Alba brand of r&P thats not of good quality now.
Apparrently top loaders powder is still the highest seller when it comes to the supermarkets

reggit
11th August 2009, 02:41 PM
Bosch front loader - doubles as an entertainment watching it do its thing through the glass door [;)] only pain is no bingly-bingly bell to tell you when the load is finished...

Simkin
11th August 2009, 02:48 PM
Well, Bosch is German, and there are several manufacturers in the old Eastern European Block who are much cheaper. But they still are European or EU brands:(

At the moment we are stoked with a Miele vacuum cleaner we bought recently[:)] It was on special[:D]

Dream Weaver
11th August 2009, 04:44 PM
my son and daughter in law have an Electrolux front loader, they seem happy with that.

Red Bandit
12th August 2009, 10:52 AM
We bought a bosch front loader 3 months ago and it has been great. We tried a f&p front loader in aussie before we moved and it was crap, the clothes came out so wet that when they finally dried they were like cardboard. I think the f&p was 800rpm and the bosch we have now is a 1200rpm and what a difference it makes. We too have had a bad run, the hot water cylinder needed replacing 2 weeks ago (ouch[:(!]) and just 2 nights ago the fridge clapped out and we have just purchased a new one (ouch again[:(!]) luckily we didn't lose too much food. So fingers crossed, touch wood.... no more appliance bills!! [:D][:D]

sod
12th August 2009, 12:37 PM
DiDi youve been watching that stupid male ad for washing machines me thinks:D:D we never lift wet heavy washing up from our old front loader just pull out in basket under door and it was very dry. Sadly it died and we had to buy second hand one so have a top loader that does a very good job to. We are on town water so water use doesn't matter.

sssnake
12th August 2009, 12:45 PM
I used to be the staunchest F&P supporter ever, I will never ever buy F&P again after the last few purchases of the brand.

Fridge/freezer, makes such a racket it still gets me out of bed to investigate the noise in the kitchen, oh its just the fridge coming up with a new banging thumping tune differing from the reggae of last week

Gas top, untunable on LPG despite five rejets, self igniter never worked from new, happily clicks away and would probably keep clicking til the bottle went empty or the house explodes

Washing machine, am quite looking forward to affording a new euro front loader then will actually take this out in the paddock and shoot it. Absolute shite

Freezer, every other manufacturer can build a freezer that doesn't condensate on the outside these days. TIME TO CATCH UP F&P!!!!

Ahh feel better now I have that off my chest........

charlotte1
12th August 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys.

I still havent made up my mind yet. I have rung all the local shops to get their best prices, but tomorrow I think I will visit the shops in person when I get my groceries. Was going to go with F&P as that is all we have in the way of whiteware in this house and had no troubles(until now!!) but you guys are making sense to look at other options, just worry about how much more expensive they will be though. I kinda was set on getting a 6.5kg pride by F&P $849 on special (save $150) and I have a Noel Lemming voucher for $50 so $799 I thought was ok. Cannot really go too much higher!!

DiDi
12th August 2009, 02:46 PM
Just had a look and discovered that Consumer did a huge test on numerous washing machines - updated March 09 - but I am not a member so can't get the results for you. [:(]

I think I will be looking at the F & P Aquasmart (no ig agitator) when the time comes but one person raved, on another site about her Samsung and it only cost $399 (must have been a special) and is only 5 kg.

charlotte1
12th August 2009, 03:18 PM
I have heard heaps of negatives about the aquasmarts.

Bunter
12th August 2009, 03:29 PM
We have a whirlpool (f&P cheaper variety) front loader. Does take a while to do a long wash but does a good job and there is no problem dragging stuff out into a basket on the floor, its almost dry anyway.
Can be a bit of a pain if you find you missed something out but it does have a reset which stops it and drains the water so you can put something else in if it hasnt gone too far into the cycle. Has heaps of options and spin speeds, sets its own water level based on load size.

DiDi
12th August 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for that Charlotte - I just like the idea of them but haven't done any research yet. Eyes wide open now! [:D]

Organix
12th August 2009, 03:44 PM
I have heard heaps of negatives about the aquasmarts.

From the Consumer test regarding the Aquasmart:

Good points
Very good dirt removal and water efficiency. Good rinsing performance and spin efficiency.

But
Expensive.($1,848) Only OK for gentleness (although more gentle than the average top loader).

Comment
This model has a low-profile impeller-like agitator.

Organix
12th August 2009, 03:55 PM
Interesting though that this Aussie website (which is free to view) gives the Aquasmart a real slagging:

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=16501 :(

Good site with many models common to NZ [:)]

Dream Weaver
12th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, I must have one of the good ones. Ive had mine 2 years and havent had any problems at all. Not saying the comments arent true. Just my personal experience has been good so far.

charlotte1
13th August 2009, 01:42 PM
Well it really pays to shop around and be a little cheeky!!

Noel Lemmings had the machine I was after on sale for a good price too!!

So I went to the locally owned 100% store they had the same machine also on sale but $50 dearer but with 1 years washing powder. I asked if they would match NL's price and they did but wouldn't include the powder (don't really like or use that brand anyway). So made my purchase and it is being delivered this afternoon. NL was going to charge $95 to deliver and install!! Of which I was shocked by and would have sent one of our workers over with the ute to pick it up. 100% was only $40 so for that they are going to deliver and install. We are quite a way from town too.

So big lesson learnt for me. I have always compared prices in the past but never asked for matching of prices. In the past I just would have gone and purchased from NL but am happier now that my money has gone to a locally owned/operated store.

Oh and on the dishwasher front. It was just a hole in the hose so that was replaced and we don't have to get a new dishwasher!!!!

Expensive month here new washing machine, #2 son is turning 3 and I am getting set up for my chooks!

Dream Weaver
13th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Yes it definatley pays to shop around. what machine did you end up getting??

Hasbeen
13th August 2009, 06:27 PM
My stove is on it's last legs, the dish washer makes a puddle, & the fridge messes on the floor.

I was on cloud 9 thinking of all the nice new things I was going to get now that the Batch is sold.

Now I have a real bout of the blues.

I was going to go for F&P 6 star fridge as I have the 6 star freezer.
You have me worried about F&P because the messy fridge is one of theirs now I come to look at it.

Anyone got any experience with Westinghouse wall ovens?[B)]

Dream Weaver
13th August 2009, 10:14 PM
I wouldnt buy westinghouse if you paid me. Its part of simpson. My sister had brought an oven and within a year it was going rusty and the rubber around the door was shocking. We had an old simpson dishwasher in a past life, and it was always breaking down.

charlotte1
14th August 2009, 01:29 PM
Went for the Elba 6.5kg pride. I am so happy with it so far. Christened it with a load of nappies!!!! Wet ones only as my nearly 3 year old only wears them for sleeps.

Man is it quiet. It seemed so fast too. Pleased with the end result too.

I will be doing less loads hopefully as it is a 6.5 vs the old one at 5.5kgs.

I even went and talked to the guy who is the local F&P service person, he recomended a top loader being farmers as they are more heavy duty. He only recomends front loaders to townies, he reckons that cow poo covered clothes don't come out well from a front loader and he had nothing to gain by his advise as I was not buying anything from him.

In reply to someone else my mum had an old simpson washing machine she reckons that it was about 20yrs old when it gave up the ghost.

Hasbeen
14th August 2009, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt buy westinghouse if you paid me. Its part of simpson. My sister had brought an oven and within a year it was going rusty and the rubber around the door was shocking. We had an old simpson dishwasher in a past life, and it was always breaking down.

OMG[:0] the worst washing machine I ever had was a Simpson.
So which 1 1/2 wall oven would any of you suggest?

Organix
14th August 2009, 07:56 PM
OMG[:0] the worst washing machine I ever had was a Simpson.
So which 1 1/2 wall oven would any of you suggest?

Best to worst in Consumer's (single) wall oven test last September were: Simpson, Miele, Westinghouse, Bosch, Electrolux, Whirlpool, F&P [:)]

charlotte1
14th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Have a Simpson wall oven here. It was less than 6months old when the grilling element blew and actually caught on fire briefly. Cannot complain as it was a freebee installed by my dad who is a sparky.

cranky
16th August 2009, 09:16 AM
We had a simpson 7.5kg top loader w/m that would go off balance 2-6 times in every wash, we had it for 3 years, I got rid of it and went and got a samsung 7.5 kg front loader, brilliant machine, uses less water, less powder, plays a tune to let me know when its finished washing and it has a 30 minute wash cycle. Only thing when the powder is on special, it seems to be only the top loader stuff. It makes me wonder why? :confused: