PDA

View Full Version : Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate

Simkin
26th June 2009, 10:36 AM
Has anyone else noticed the quiet downsizing that has been going on now that we get the lovely Australian stuff?

I still have one precious New Zealand made Dairy Milk tab and it is 250g[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] The new stuff, while puffed up with cardboard:( instead of paper, is only 200g[:(].

Xartep
26th June 2009, 10:39 AM
The price is the same though isn't it?!

Simkin
26th June 2009, 10:53 AM
I reckon it is dearer. I just paid 2.99 for one tab on special. I'm pretty sure I got like 2 for 5 Dollars of the old (heavier) ones.

Dream Weaver
26th June 2009, 10:59 AM
My daughters partner is a Grocery manager in a supermarket. He told me awhi9le ago about the change in packaging and yes its more money for less choccie. I think he mentioned something about the milk being different to and something else that I cant remember.

sod
26th June 2009, 11:25 AM
Arn't they most trusted in NZ :rolleyes: yeah right!

clowder
26th June 2009, 11:58 AM
Might be time to change over to whittakers!!!

pkb
26th June 2009, 03:19 PM
Apparently they have changed their recipe and started using palm oil in the chocolate, which makes it taste different.

maggies mum
26th June 2009, 03:21 PM
CAdbursy tastes different at this end of the world full stop!! Prefer the taste in Pommie land...I might have to order online at the pommie shop!

max2
26th June 2009, 03:54 PM
Watch out if buying the toasted varieties of sanitarium muesli (pink/purple pack and the red) both the same sized box, same price but 50g less in the pp one at Foodtown Pukekohe.[}:)] Same size boxes shouldn't be allowed for different weighing items.

flyingfeathers
26th June 2009, 03:58 PM
I thought they had changed it then I couldn't remember the original size ! ! [:I] Not interested in cardboard packaging it's a pain, ends up in the bin and it stays in the foil bit instead.

Might have to get complaining to Fair Go at this rate as I'm getting a bit fed up with the manufacturers making things smaller and charging the same price for things [}:)]

Yakut
26th June 2009, 05:16 PM
PALM OIL!!!!!??????? No no no, they can't use Palm Oil!!!!! Isn't the desire for Palm Oil the reason for the loss of rain forests and other such ecological treasures? Farmers are ploughing down the forests to make more land available to grow the trees that produce the oil.... no no no, Cadbury shouldn't even be considering this additive for the planets sake, never mind the taste factor. What a stink thing to do!!!!

I've scrutinized this new packaging and the contents and feel considerably 'had'. Same price, less chocolate and the cardboard is a pain, just more trees used to make the cardboard rather than the good old paper. Humph!!!! So much for a greener approach to product production.
I wonder what genius came up with this new idea and how many squillions they got paid for it. They should be made to help replant rainforests and forests in general!!!!! Ohhh and they should be made to fork out for the plants too!!!!!
Bloody cheek!!!!
I haven't seen any ads heralding this 'new look'.... maybe they think we won't notice! HA! Not all of us have been dumbed down by the appalling bubblegum tv programmes and adverts.

VETO!!!

Yakut

sod
26th June 2009, 06:11 PM
I'll go with clowder as its local real paper wrapped and I like it, liked the old cadburys made here.

ronnie
26th June 2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, we had noticed the new size, the cheap cardboard packaging and the new taste. Not impressed with any of it.
Won't be buying it any time soon. Not that we are big chocolate fans to start with, but did like the odd piece of Cadbury Dairy Milk - but alas, no longer[:(]

Murray
26th June 2009, 08:22 PM
CAdbursy tastes different at this end of the world full stop!! Prefer the taste in Pommie land...I might have to order online at the pommie shop!
It's cos they use real sugar here whereas in the UK they use sugar beet. That's what we were told at the Cadbury factory in Dunedin when a UK tourist asked that question.

maggies mum
26th June 2009, 08:44 PM
Well whatever they say UK Cadburys is the best! It's even different in Ireland!

wedtoiain
26th June 2009, 10:00 PM
Do you have the web address of the pommies shop please MM? OH and MIL are both Scottish and would love to get some for them - especially walnut whips. Thanks Diana

The Kats Place
26th June 2009, 10:55 PM
haven notied cause haven't bought any choccie lately, bum, ripped off again.

maggies mum
27th June 2009, 07:08 AM
Do you have the web address of the pommies shop please MM? OH and MIL are both Scottish and would love to get some for them - especially walnut whips. Thanks Diana

There's this one

http://www.theenglishcornershop.co.nz/

and these

http://www.bramptins.co.nz/

[:D][:D]

flyingfeathers
27th June 2009, 10:25 AM
Having just popped in to the local store this morning I noticed their peppermint dark chocolate at 230g was $5 a bar ! ! ! No way I'm paying that, it's just ridiculous [:(!] [}:)] Much cheaper in Pak n Slave

jeannielea
27th June 2009, 04:49 PM
MM it's all a matter of upbringing!!! As a born and bred Kiwi I prefer the NZ taste and always found the English one tastes like sour milk!! But I hardly eat chocolate now though was given some Trade Aid stuff recently and that's nice - my kids like the one that sponsors the Sunday theatre programme on Channel one! Which reminds me, my great neice is in the one this week - Show of Hands. She's the wee girl who waves to Mealnie Lynskey from a pedestrian crossing.

wedtoiain
27th June 2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks MM. Will put them both in my favourites.

kaybe
27th June 2009, 08:06 PM
It tastes different again in the States because they use corn syrup. I really got a thrill the first time I saw Cadbury's there (as opposed to Hersheys which is vile) and thought you beauty, something from home! (Home being Australia). Tasted it and got a surprise - didn't taste right at all. Read the label and realised it was made under licence. And neither does the UK version (to me). But palm oil? Yuk.

MM, have you seen the product called Our Mate in the Vegemite section of the supermarket? It's true English Marmite, everything the same - manufacturer, shape of jar, packaging colours etc., just under another name. They sold the name Marmite to Sanitarium, and now it tastes different (my Dad says - I'm a Vegemite girl, it puts a rose in every cheek you know [:I]), but I reckon there were so many complaints from down here that the original manufacturer came up with Our Mate. So if anyone out there is pining for real Marmite and doesn't want to pay the outrageous import prices, check it out. Dad swears it's the real thing, I made him do a blind taste test [:D]!

maggies mum
27th June 2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah Kaybe I know, I did writre a reply earlier but my connection bombed out and I can't be bothered to write it all again! ;)

Jeannilea, NZ Cadburys has NO taste lol, UK Cadburys actually tastes like chocolate! :D

Toni - Northland
28th June 2009, 10:29 AM
I have changed to Whittakers. It is better, especially the Whittakers Kiwifruit chocolate. I also used to get organic choccy when I was going to Matakana Markets. There are too many Aucklanders go there now and take up all the parking. I can't remember the name of it now, but did give Anna2 I think it was their website.

sod
28th June 2009, 02:22 PM
Toni we love theirs too

Beltie
28th June 2009, 03:21 PM
The palm oil thing is what bothers me most. I'm not sure if it will be labelled as containing palm oil or if it will just say vegetable oil in which case lots of people wont even know (even if they did read the list of ingredients). I'll probably just pay a bit more & switch to whittakers.

Simkin
28th June 2009, 03:44 PM
I've had a look at the list of ingredients - it only specifies vegetable fat. There is no real difference between the old and the new list of ingredients.

Thanks for pointing out that they include palm oil. Yuck. It's one of the worst things anyone can do for the environment and for those arteries as I imagine that it has been hydrogenated.

I guess Whittakers has won over another ex Cadbury customer.

I've just used some to melt for dipping cookies in - it is very runny. The New Zealand made one was wonderfully creamy and made a thick chocolate cover. This new stuff isn't nice at all - just a whiff of chocolate on the cookies

kathken
28th June 2009, 03:48 PM
well that's a shame..... i have always been an utmost advocate of cadburys, no other chocolate comes close IMO. how sad.

FraSla
29th June 2009, 11:20 PM
I had a look today and not only are they smaller, but they are all different weights. Crunchie is 190g, Caramello and Dream are 220g and i can't remember what the other on was but it was 210g. Bloody suck i want our old chocolate back!!!![:(!]

Simkin
30th June 2009, 11:21 AM
I bought some Whittakers chocolate yesterday and it still has 250 grams, it is creamy and thick and contains NO vegetable fat.

maggies mum
30th June 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah but it's nowhere near as good, I think it's nasty stuff! :(

Beltie
30th June 2009, 03:19 PM
I've just bought a bar of Whittakers white chocolate & macadamia but I daren't open it for fear I'll scoff the lot!

betenoir
30th June 2009, 07:38 PM
There has been a suggestion on another website I frequent to boycott cadburys. Someone wrote to them and got the reply that they had cut down their size but had also cut down their prices to the supermarkets, but the supermarkets had not passed on the price cut. Who knows what is true but someone is profiteering[xx(]

Xartep
30th June 2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah but it's nowhere near as good, I think it's nasty stuff! :(

I think cadbury's is nasty stuff!! LOL The texture and taste changed a couple of years ago and now it is yuk!

I tried some imported stuff at the deli today $15.95 for about 250gms!!! It was yummy!! But we all decided that we wouldn't buy it as it would only last the day and that would be naughty.[}:)]

maggies mum
30th June 2009, 11:07 PM
Thats cos it ain't the proper stuff! The proper stuff comes from the UK!! :D

poaka
1st July 2009, 08:18 AM
I'm a Pom and UK Cadburys is now not to my taste... definitely a different recipe as is Nestle etc .. I send kiwi choccie to my old mum in Ingerland .. she loves it
I felt the same way about the wrapping til I saw it was supplied from CHH Whakatane Board Mills and not from Overseas now. That Mill has struggled to stay open recently and this order is good for them.. I'll live with it. still tastes good to me and helps maintain my ulcers !!!! :-)

ronnie
1st July 2009, 10:33 AM
Seems someone has compained to Fair Go as they are doing a segment on this very subject tonigt[:D]

Toni - Northland
1st July 2009, 05:34 PM
When I was a kid my mother used to work at Nestles in Parnell. Used to get some real yummy treats.

reggit
1st July 2009, 06:41 PM
Cadburys is stating that their palm oil is from sustainable sources only.

I haven't tried the new stuff yet, love my (current) Cadburys, so will be most disappointed if it doesn't taste the same.

I really disliked the chocolate in UK/Europe, to me it tasted really bland (esp the swiss stuff, which was a shock!) compared to the nice creamy NZ stuff :rolleyes:

It's all in what you are used to, I suppose...

Country Girl
1st July 2009, 06:46 PM
Just seen this on the news Palm Oil [:(!] and listed as vegetable fat - Won't be buying this anytime soon and less Cocoa!!

DiDi
1st July 2009, 06:52 PM
They are claiming as tigger said that it is from sustainable sources (TV3 6pm news) and that the reason is to make a softer chocolate? They also say it will leave an after taste (assuming nice....NOT). They have also reduced some cocoa ingredient. How dumb! How many times do we see this sort of thing happen with a good product that is ruined? Will be watching Fair Go. Just to state my interest - I am more than happy to change to Whittakers - love their peanut bars and purchase thenm more than I should!

Simkin
1st July 2009, 09:05 PM
I've seen the bit on Fair Go - thanks for making me aware of this.

Cadbury said they downsized it to make it more affordable - yeah, right. The bars they had on TV cost $5.99 each. I only buy them on special under 3 Dollars.

After reading all the contributions to this thread Fair Go had nothing new to say.

sod
1st July 2009, 11:24 PM
They said that the milk and sugar went over from NZ to Tassy so I guess that would be powdered milk so going to be a taste change there and why sugar we import the stuff??

Rustie
1st July 2009, 11:39 PM
Not a huge chocolate fan (hardly ever eat the stuff and then dark!) but i do have to say i've never ever liked the waxy type texture of NZ cadbury's, but i guess part of that is what you're used to??

Clods
2nd July 2009, 11:13 AM
UK Cadburys is best. Haven't tried the new one. Cadburys was always creamier and more actual chocolate in it. any other brand is just not chocolate. American varities hardly have any chocolate (cocoawatever) in it compared.

I have bought maltesers recently (who makes those?) and they also taste nothing like they should do - have they changed their chocolate recipe too?

Main difference is I think kiwis like everything sweeter, so they put lots more sugar in the chocolate, tomato sauce, baked beans etc, so they don't taste the same as the English ones.

jeannielea
2nd July 2009, 01:17 PM
I find it interesting that just after Cadbury's announced they were going to use only fairtrade cocoa, which of course is more expensive, they start using palm oil because its cheaper than cocoa butter. In other words its all about profit! I still like the Trade Aid stuff which only has cocoa butter. It is harder but therefore lasts longer in your mouth.

Dream Weaver
2nd July 2009, 03:34 PM
Yup vegtable oil in it now and also not the glass and a half of NZ milk. Its aussie milk now. Had some lastnight and its quite different. Dam why do they have to play with things like that.

Beltie
2nd July 2009, 04:15 PM
How can any palm oil be sustainable? Haven't heaps of rainforest been chopped down to plant the trees for palm oil? Did anyone see the fair go programme & hear how they justified it being sustainable - I'd be interested to know if there is such a thing.

Toni - Northland
2nd July 2009, 04:18 PM
AND, why did they stop making those Cadbury Fry, they were the yummiest things on earth.

jeannielea
2nd July 2009, 04:22 PM
There is an article on palm oil in soap in the current issue of 'Good' magazine and it says that there is an organisation called Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) which audits and certifies the sustainable production. So the first shipment of certified RSPO was in 2008. Greenpeace disputes the criteria they have though. Even if you choose chocolate without palm oil you are probably using soap with it as there are very few that don't and these are hand made! Life gets more and more difficult doesn't it!!

Simkin
2nd July 2009, 05:21 PM
Almost every biscuit contains palm oil - that stuff is everywhere. In Fair Go there was no explanation about how they decide that the palm oil is from a sustainable source. Its cheap - that's all there is to it.

Xartep
6th July 2009, 09:23 PM
So this has started to bug me, not only is it cadbury chocolate but...
I don't buy it but Cadbury drinking chocolate now weighs less for the same price.
I bought coffee today, 2 weeks ago it was $7.50 per pkt, today $9.19 [:0]
Cat biscuits on Friday normally 8kg for around $36-38 now 7.26kg for $43.50[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Thank god I don't need to buy meat!

X

ronnie
7th July 2009, 07:47 AM
Have you seen the new Whittakers add on the telly, taking the p*** out of Cadbury's???? Boy, they were quick off the mark !!!!

maggies mum
7th July 2009, 07:50 AM
Dunno hiw they can get away with that!!! Surely it must breach some advertising rule! I know in the UK an advertiser cannot name another brand, all they can do is compare to another 'leading brand'

Pretty poor on Whittalers part I think!!

jeannielea
7th July 2009, 01:12 PM
No, MM I don't think it would breach any rules. A few years ago it would have but they changed the things and its now open slather. I haven't seen the Whitaker one yet but other companies do the same.

sod
7th July 2009, 01:39 PM
Drench has been done like this for years "ours keeps going theirs stops here"

maggies mum
7th July 2009, 05:14 PM
That would account for some of the pretty dreadful advertising then. We noticed it with the Mad Butcher ad recently, personnally I don't think it's right, cheapens their own product in a way.

Xartep
7th July 2009, 05:36 PM
True, we were also told when I was working in sales & marketing, to NEVER put down the opposition as it cheapens you and draws attention to them. It is so NOT COOL[:D]

Hasbeen
7th July 2009, 06:37 PM
When I walked past the Cadbury factory in Dunedin I was always surprised at the smell of mutton fat.:confused:
Loved their Continental selection & the Dark Roses ---but no more. Palm oil no way.[:(!]

I am a fan of Whittakers Dark peanut slab.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/kelpie/drool.gif

He eats 4 squares of Dark Ghana on his porridge every morning [:D]

http://www.whittakers.co.nz/

Organix
7th July 2009, 06:48 PM
Dunno hiw they can get away with that!!! Surely it must breach some advertising rule! I know in the UK an advertiser cannot name another brand, all they can do is compare to another 'leading brand'

Pretty poor on Whittalers part I think!!

Whittakers has been advertised as "good honest chocolate" for some years so the new ad probably follows that tack. Good on them!

Besides classing Cadburys as a leading brand is probably getting more questionable by the week. It looks to be following the lead of the cocoa flavoured grease that passes as chocolate in the US and a growing number of other markets :rolleyes:

JEF
7th July 2009, 06:52 PM
that whittikers chocolate is awesome

ronnie
7th July 2009, 06:54 PM
The add showed a block of Cadburys and a block of Whittakers and went along the lines of "this block only weighs 200 grams, whereas this block still weighs 250 gramms" etc etc and pointed out all the differences as mentioned above re the packaging, new formula etc etc. Not sure how it will go down, but as it just stated facts, there should be no reason for it to be withdrawn. But I have only seen it once, so perhaps it had a very short shelf life???

maggies mum
7th July 2009, 08:33 PM
If its good honest chocolate then why resort to that kind of advertising, I don't like it to be honest, it's rather bitter.

Organix
7th July 2009, 09:18 PM
If its good honest chocolate then why resort to that kind of advertising, I don't like it to be honest, it's rather bitter.

How about accentuating their advantage over the (dishonest) imposter? Besides I prefer my chocalate a little on the bitter side, with 80% cocoa butter [;)] Sure beats the stuff that sends the kids eyebrows into spasms

maggies mum
7th July 2009, 09:21 PM
Either way it's still poor advertising.

reggit
7th July 2009, 09:44 PM
[;)] Sure beats the stuff that sends the kids eyebrows into spasms

Yeah, now what's THAT all about, must admit I crack up every time I see it but its taken weeks of seeing it now and then to finally remember what product its actually for. Like that damn gorilla ad they used, again, what in heck did that have to do with chocolate???? :rolleyes:

I think I am in the wrong demographic [}:)]

Organix
7th July 2009, 09:54 PM
Just saw the new Whittakers advert (http://www.whittakers.co.nz/). Can't beat honesty in advertising. Excellent stuff [:D]

Xartep
7th July 2009, 10:05 PM
Just saw the new Whittakers advert. Can't beat honesty in advertising. Excellent stuff [:D]

Same, makes you think...
Personally I like Whitakers, esp. the 72% stuff.[:D][:D]

sod
7th July 2009, 10:46 PM
Organix thanks I still havn't seen the ad like it, just states facts also love Whittakers here

DiDi
7th July 2009, 10:59 PM
The first time I saw the ad I grinned from ear to ear and said out loud "brilliant".

There is one other thing that I would have thought was (Iand should) be taught during marketing and advertising courses and that is that when times are tough - advertise!

How many different Home building companies are advertising at the moment? All out war for ad time and I'm sure that is the reason - and good on them for being switched on to the market.

reggit
8th July 2009, 08:16 AM
There is one other thing that I would have thought was (Iand should) be taught during marketing and advertising courses and that is that when times are tough - advertise!

How many different Home building companies are advertising at the moment? All out war for ad time and I'm sure that is the reason - and good on them for being switched on to the market.

Waikato Times is running a full-page ad regularly on 5 reasons why you should advertise in a recession, can't remember them all but the first one was enough really:

Advertising is part of the solution, not part of the problem

[:D]

Organix
8th July 2009, 08:37 AM
Organix thanks I still havn't seen the ad like it, just states facts also love Whittakers here

To see the advert click on the (underlined) link in my previous post and then select the "Play Video" from the Latest TV Ad panel. Enjoy [:D]

Adey
8th July 2009, 08:43 AM
I have always enjoyed Cadburys Dairy Milk Chocolate, but now it tastes horrible. I certainly won't be buying any more of Cadburys chocolates.

maggies mum
8th July 2009, 09:22 AM
Ah well I must be used to a better standard of advertising then(and TV in general too)...enjoy folks!

And remember little pickers wear bigger knickers!;)

maggies mum
14th July 2009, 04:07 PM
Mmm take it all back...mmmmm... gobful.......chomp...chomp///of Whitakkers milk cho wic....mmm....nuts! And had someof the white with nuts.....mmmmm

You may have a convert here! :D

Took one look at those Cadburys bars and thought sh*t they're all right, the bloody things have shrunk!

Organix
14th July 2009, 04:26 PM
Mmm take it all back...mmmmm... gobful.......chomp...chomp///of Whitakkers milk cho wic....mmm....nuts! And had someof the white with nuts.....mmmmm

You may have a convert here! :D.........

Best stay away from the Dark Ghana then or they'll be peeling you quivering off the ceiling [:D]

maggies mum
14th July 2009, 04:30 PM
Haha! No chance of that happening, I've never liked dark chocolate whatever the make! ;)

ronnie
14th July 2009, 05:23 PM
Good on you for trying it - and look what happened - you seem to actually like it :D:D:D Yay.........

maggies mum
14th July 2009, 06:05 PM
It was a size issue ;) I admit when I first came here I didn't like the taste, but after 51/2 years my tastebuds seem to have changed! :D

reggit
14th July 2009, 06:09 PM
I checked out that Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil site yesterday, talk about a sloooow site to load :( and when it did, seemed to indicate that no-one is yet actually certified as producing palm oil in a sustainable way under their own criteria...so if Cadbury's is saying that their palm oil is sustainably produced due to their involvement with this organisation...well, what am I missing here?? :rolleyes: Involvement with the RSPO doesn't seem to (currently) mean anything concrete at all apart from possible intentions...