PDA

View Full Version : Building Consent for farm buildings??

Storey Cottage
4th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Well Im puzzled do I need a building consent for a farm building? Open 3 bay type thing? I find it hard to believe every farm building has one....I ask the council and they tell me a shed over 10m2 needs consent, but by shed do they mean a implement shed??? Oh Im in the Western Bay of Plenty so if anyone round here has any experience happy to read your tales..

Thanks

Telly
4th May 2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, you need a building consent.

Storey Cottage
4th May 2009, 08:19 PM
but isnt there an out regarding temporary buildings?? ie dont have floor and post construction???

Pumpkingirl
4th May 2009, 08:31 PM
If you have a building that is "removable" (and there are legal interpretations of what that means) then no, you don't need a building consent.

But from what you've described, that's not what you're talking about, and if it's over 10 square metres then yes, you need a building consent.

Many really old buildings don't have them and the reasons why are lost in the mist of time.. but if they blow down and need to be replaced or rebuilt, odds are you'll need consent.

Lots of people build sheds without building consents, but the councils are onto that and check satellite images every couple of years to find exactly that kind of illegal activity, so bear in mind you may be caught.

Or your neighbours may dob you in over it. For example, if they see you building, they are entitled to to go to council and find out if you have a consent or not. If not, and they tell council, you will be liable.

Storey Cottage
4th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Ok so top neighbours up with wine and plant grass on roof[;)]

Pumpkingirl
4th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, something like that[:D]

Or you could just get a permit! For a simple building, they're not usually a lot of money, I got quoted about $500 for a three bay garage being relocated on my place. That was a couple of years ago now though.

And it depends on the council, from what some people in Rodney say, their council charges like a wounded bull.

sod
4th May 2009, 08:58 PM
Storey thats about it, many years ago milking sheds and sheds attached were under dairy inspecters so friend wanted tractor shed up attached to cow shed so after one inspecter left and new one came he put up shed and planted grass dug up from paddock :)using old timber and iron :D

LongRidge
4th May 2009, 08:58 PM
Also, when you come to sell your farm with the shed on it, if it has no premit it will be valued as zero, because the new owner might have to pull it down to get a permit for it. If it does have a permit, and all the associated inspections (which are part of the permit fee), then the shed will be nearly as valuable when you leave as when you put it up.

Sue
4th May 2009, 09:15 PM
We had to have a building consent for our 7m x 12m 3 bay open fronted pole shed, no floor-cost about $450.

organicltd
4th May 2009, 09:46 PM
Don't forget you may need to get resource consent if you want to build close to the boundary.

beedee
4th May 2009, 10:44 PM
My 6 x6 m barn sand floor required a consent and unless you build it yourself you will find no reputable firm will do a sneaky for you. also if there is a fire or wind damage, you wont get insurance.. and Id more than cry to see $11k sit in a pile and I wait another 15 yrs to save for another.
the council checked that they had dug the holes deep enough and now I have to organise final check.. my costs $450ish

Storey Cottage
5th May 2009, 11:04 AM
Calm down everyone[;)] I have no intention of doing it "illegally" was just asking the question as the girl in the council who I asked whilst sorting out another issue wasnt sure, she just said the standard anything of 10sq m etc....

Will be building myself as it needs to fit in a triangular/curved corner....but will be checking out the last day at field days for a bargain[;)]

Storey Cottage
5th May 2009, 11:05 AM
Don't forget you may need to get resource consent if you want to build close to the boundary.

yup well aware of the biggest revenue gathering scam in existance....[:(!]

drifter
5th May 2009, 12:25 PM
And double check you are not building on a paper road.... unlike my neighbor the idjit:rolleyes:

From memory a temporary building has to be on piles. If you sink posts then it's permanent. The building inspectors are very nice helpful people here in the Bay. You can ask to talk to them rather than the front desk you might find that more useful.

Storey Cottage
5th May 2009, 12:27 PM
And double check you are not building on a paper road.... unlike my neighbor the idjit:rolleyes:

From memory a temporary building has to be on piles. If you sink posts then it's permanent. The building inspectors are very nice helpful people here in the Bay. You can ask to talk to them rather than the front desk you might find that more useful.

Cheers Drifter, yes i will chat to the "planners" next, was in sorting out dog registraton so just asked at the same time, and i was in a rush so didnt have time for anything else....

sod
5th May 2009, 12:34 PM
Back off Just joking as well and telling a funny story but true everyone calm down please laughter is good for you:D:D::D:D

Pumpkingirl
5th May 2009, 12:54 PM
...but will be checking out the last day at field days for a bargain[;)]

Actually SC, it can be much better to find out which shed company's are on site and get in BEFORE Fieldays. If the recession isn't stopping what normally happens, then you can get some amazing deals on the sheds they build on site (if it's one you want).

Last year, one shed I know of sold at cost.. about half the price you would have paid if you bought it new. The only criteria was you had to remove it yourself (and there is a time limit of 2 weeks from memory), but as it went up like a kitset, it came down like one too, very simple.

The new owner was thrilled[:D] Sadly, it wasn't me!

hilldweller
5th May 2009, 01:16 PM
I can't believe how much the consent fees vary. $1200 for a building consent and another $600 for resource consent for a garage (60 sq m) here!!! No wonder I can't afford to get the flamin' thing built! Perhaps I'll just frame the consent certificates...

And in relation to the original question, the normal sort of open-fronted farm shed supported by posts sunk into the ground is regarded as a permanent structure.

beaker
5th May 2009, 10:53 PM
You will get insurance cover but wil likely be in the form of cash settlement based on market value of building or agreed value.There are heaps of old unpermitted farm sheds which blow over or have trees fall on them each year which are paid out for as long as they are specified on the farm policy.

DrVee
6th May 2009, 02:30 PM
$1200 for a building consent and another $600 for resource consent for a garage (60 sq m) here!!!

Crikey HD, has the cost of building consent gone up horrendously with the DCC or do they charge different amounts for different building types? Mine was $1200 all up for both building and resource consent for my 5 bay shed 24m x 6m 2 years ago....., but that had no power, no water, nothing....

oskatd
6th May 2009, 04:18 PM
If it's a farm building with no residential component the yard requirement is 5m (side and rear). Mind you at Omok you'll need to check your zoning carefully under both the operative DP and the Proposed DP. Assuming you're Rural H/Rural 2 it should be fine at 5m.

hilldweller
6th May 2009, 05:41 PM
Crikey HD, has the cost of building consent gone up horrendously with the DCC or do they charge different amounts for different building types? Mine was $1200 all up for both building and resource consent for my 5 bay shed 24m x 6m 2 years ago....., but that had no power, no water, nothing....I'm not sure. I gave the value as the lowest category (under $20k, from memory). This will have power but no water or anything and not lined etc - def not a sleepout type of garage LOL, so I'd think it would be in the same category as a shed. Did you need a separate resource consent for yours though? They're required in some parts of Dunedin but not most. If you didn't, then it'd work out the same.

DrVee
10th May 2009, 04:11 PM
HD I just needed standard Building consent (which took 6 weeks to tick a piece of paper). I only needed resource consent as I wanted it 1m off my boundary instead of the required 6m, which I needed the neighbours approval/resource consent. 6m off the boundary is ridiculous, who want's a shed in the middle of the damn paddock..........

Megan
10th May 2009, 05:09 PM
Just be glad you don't live in the Wairarapa - for rural lots its now 25m from the boundary, used to be 11m.

beedee
10th May 2009, 05:14 PM
Dr V, I did and have, the best place to put it, easy access, and then becomes many uses also, and I can see either side of it to know what the heck the animals are up to NOW.. and no paddock is too far to wheelbarrow the hay to.. so I dont think its too ridikulush