PDA

View Full Version : Poison seeds for bird pests - how do they work?

Cinsara
2nd September 2008, 10:50 AM
How do the poisoned seeds you can buy from the ag shops for bird pests work? Are they a painful poison or just a render them unconcious poison?
When I worked on a stud farm they put this poison wheat down and the sparrows and pukes seemed to just go to sleep on the cold ground and died. My self imposed main function of the day was to scoop up as many as I could and hide them under my jacket until I could put them in a small aviary in my lovely warm car - come lunch time they had all 'woken up' and I let them go - by crickey did I get into hell trouble when I was sprung by the manager [:D][:D][:D]

My reason for this question is my ancient ex battery chook has come to the end of her days and is just wasting away - even though she is eating lots and drinking HEAPS (suspicious) she has gone light. I don't want to put her through the indignity of having her neck rung or jabbed in the stomach at the vet so I thought she may just go to sleep with these seeds and once shes zzzzzz ing I can do what needs to be done.

Cinsara
2nd September 2008, 02:06 PM
Anyone know anything?

reggit
2nd September 2008, 02:13 PM
Alphachloralose is the stuff you want:

"Alphachloralose is a narcotic used for the control of species of bird pest such as magpie, mynah, pigeon, sparrow and blackbird. When used in concentrations of less than 2.5% alphachloralose will anaesthetise birds but not kill them allowing the pest species to be collected and humanely disposed of such as by placing in a freezer overnight.

Non-target species can be revived by placing them in a warm dark place for a few hours.

A poison licence is not required to use alphachloralose baits with concentrations below 2.5%."
http://www.ebop.govt.nz/Land/Animals/Alphachloralose-For-Bird-Control.asp

Check out http://www.pestoff.co.nz/products.htm. You'd have to buy quite a bit for just one hen though, by the looks of it...

Kiwi303
2nd September 2008, 02:13 PM
dunno about the bird stuff, but the green rat wheat is usually a haemorrhagic poison.

Cinsara
2nd September 2008, 02:30 PM
Alphachloralose is the stuff you want:
will anaesthetise birds but not kill them allowing the pest species to be collected and humanely disposed of such as by placing in a freezer overnight.
Non-target species can be revived by placing them in a warm dark place for a few hours.

Excellent, just the info I needed. I know the box/jar from RD1 wasn't exactly a single dose but she deserves it and it will be handy to have for future situations as half of the girls are getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Pumpkingirl
2nd September 2008, 02:38 PM
Cinsara i was talking with Robyn the bird rescue lady about this stuff. As I understand it, the birds are aware but paralysed and die of the cold or from a predator attack.

So while your bird would appear to be sleeping, it's probably not. Robyn is just in Pokeno, I'm sure she could confirm how it works and how it might be easier to put down a loved bird.

Kiwi303
2nd September 2008, 02:41 PM
anaesthetise the bird and place her in a closed box with a pipe from the exhaust into it? Monoxide poisoning?

Cinsara
2nd September 2008, 04:10 PM
Cinsara i was talking with Robyn the bird rescue lady about this stuff. As I understand it, the birds are aware but paralysed and die of the cold or from a predator attack.

So while your bird would appear to be sleeping, it's probably not. Robyn is just in Pokeno, I'm sure she could confirm how it works and how it might be easier to put down a loved bird.

Oh yuk, they used to put horses down with that sort of stuff not realising that because they couldn't even move an eyelid they just suffocated, back to the drawing board then [:(] The exhaust thing is always a bit risky as the fumes can get so hot.
Have googled it and you are right, it stupifies and anaesthetises the bird but doesn't necessarily render them unconcious - bugger!

sod
2nd September 2008, 04:23 PM
In the old days dogs were put down with exhaust fumes by putting tube on pipe through water cooler then into box no heat

Cinsara
2nd September 2008, 04:49 PM
I had heard of that too but it's a bit techo for me. Is it just the middle of the tube sitting in a bucket of cold water?

Kiwi303
2nd September 2008, 05:20 PM
sounds right, intake of tube poked into the exhaust pipe, tubing coiled in a bucket of water, then other end into box.

4trees
2nd September 2008, 10:52 PM
Hi, here to catch some of the Cockatoos, they put wheat soaked in whisky and feed it to them. You can go and collect them as they just fall over. You get them eating the ordinary wheat first, then use the soaked stuff. That would be a good death, MM might have some suggestions.Cheers.

Cinsara
29th September 2008, 01:02 PM
sounds right, intake of tube poked into the exhaust pipe, tubing coiled in a bucket of water, then other end into box.

My chook died naturally in the end, she just went to sleep and didn't wake up, no death throws or anything gruesome so she must have been really weak poor thing, but I had to kill one of my wee peeps the other day as its leg was dodgy, dislocated hip or formed badly in the shell or something. Anyhow I did the exhaust thing and it was over in no time. Shed a tear as the chick was healthy, vocal and active apart from not being able to get around, and it just seemed to go to sleep. I idled the car for 10 minutes to get the fumes strong before I put the end of the hose in the box (coiled it up in a bucket of cold water) and left it running for a further 10 minutes. I will definately use this method again if necessary [:(] rather than put them through the trauma of a trip to the vet to have a needle stuck in their stomach. My car uses the high octaine petrol so that would have helped speed up the process I guess. I must say the responsibility weighed heavily on my heart.

kiwi39
24th February 2013, 09:04 PM
Anyone had any success with the wheat against sparrows etc ??

I've got problems with sparrows roosting in the rafters of our barn and crapping all over everything.

Tim

Stikkibeek
24th February 2013, 09:31 PM
Local school did a sparrow baiting without telling local residents. Sparrows were falling out of the sky. There was a huge outcry about it as people were concerned that their cats would get poisoned from eating the "manna from heaven"
I can't confirm whether there was any secondary poisoning, but if you have other livestock like pets, you might want to take precautions for their safety.

kiwi39
24th February 2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the warning.. We don't have a cat, and none of the neighbours do either.

Secondary poisoning was not something I'd considered.

Regards

Tim

Akzle
25th February 2013, 06:50 AM
and i get to be the guy who tells you to buy guns!

a .22 bullet costs about 10c, can be effectively administered from 40yds, and it's pretty quick lights out... one minute chooky is clucking around the garden as usual, before it knows what's what, it's dead.

for you, tim, a 60$ slug gun will work wonders. or just grab a long stick and break their nests up, you'll probably need to do it for a week before they get the hint and beggar off. they are persistent buggars!

Aquila
25th February 2013, 01:53 PM
High pressure hose (waterblaster) on the nests works too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2