PDA

View Full Version : 5 in 1 vaccination

Lincoln Green
7th July 2008, 06:23 PM
I have just given our ewes their 5 in 1 jabs assuming that this transfers to their lambs. Then my OH suggests we'll need to do the lambs as well.... As my ewes were vaccinated before we purchased them, I'm now wondering whethern that was money and time wasted. Can someone help. Thanks

kindajojo
7th July 2008, 06:44 PM
The 5 in 1 protects the lambs because they are getting the anibodies through the milk from the ewe...the lambs need to be vaccinated themselves at about 30 kgs/ 3 months depending on the vaccine and again 28 days later so that they then build up their own antibodies.

I have just vaccinated some of my ewes due 01/08/2008.

HOwever wondering if I need to vaccinate last years lambs ie at 12 months or are they ok until they are pregnant next year and get their booster. I figure I am only keeping 5-6 of them for replacement and since I have the gun primed give them a shot too

Rolled them all into the yards yesterday and then realised i only had 10 doses of multine left and the nilvax had expired. Picked up some more from the vet today and it looks like Nilvax only lasts 12 month, so I bought ultravac which will last 2 years,, I dont have enough sheep to use all the NIlvax in 12 months.

Pointerperson
7th July 2008, 07:41 PM
We just did ours yesterday too [:D].
As kindajojo said youve done the right thing and this will protect them until they are about 3 months old. We do our lambs when we wean them, then they get a booster 4 weeks later (think its 4 weeks, will have to double check).

We give all of ours a booster each year - pregnant or not. We use Multine though. From what I was told by the vet the vaccine only lasts a year so they all need a booster each year. If you missed a year out Id guess you would need to start them again with an initial jab then a booster 4 weeks later. I didnt know you could get ones that last 2 years!

stripey
8th July 2008, 06:44 AM
The pregnant ewe 5 in 1 vacc should be given 2-6 weeks before lambing to effectively transfer antibodies to the new lambs. Earlier or later than that you will get a somewhat reduced effect.

Inger
8th July 2008, 03:51 PM
The lambs get the antibodies with the first milk (colostrum) that they drink. That's why colostrum is so important and the more of it they get in the first 24 hours after birth, the better their chances of survival.

We vaccinate our lambs with 5-in-1 at 6 weeks of age and then again 4 weeks later. This covers them nicely until they get their booster shot at a year old. Which is the last time our wethers are innoculated. (Unless they are destined for the freezer, then they don't get the 1 year vaccination).

I have innoculated the ewes 2 weeks before the start of lambing, over the last couple of years. Also, the ewes go onto fresh pasture when lambing is due to start. Our flock have normally all lambed within 10 - 14 days of each other, but if you ewes are more spread out, don't put the later ewes onto the clean pasture until the week that they are due. Lamb growth spurts are best once the lamb is safely born.

LongRidge
8th July 2008, 07:32 PM
All the above replies are correct, as far as I am concerned.
Inger, I was going to post that exact reply. As you have beaten me to it, I will elaborate on it a bit, if I may :-)
When an animal is older, antibodies that get in through the mouth are digested, so don't get into the blood, so don't make antibodies, so don't provide the animal with any protection. BUT in the first few hours after birth, the gut leaks some compounds of the colostrum before digestion happens, so some antibodies from the mother get into the bloodstream. After a few hours or days (every animal is a bit different), the gut seals up. So after a short while the newborn does not get mum's antibodies.
We have a bigger herd of sheep than Inger (but a smaller flock of cattle), and I don't know which will lamb or calve later. So we vaccinate the ewes, goats and cows 2 weeks before the first are due. We vaccinate the late borns 4 to 6 weeks after they are born, and the early-borns at the same time, with their 5-in-1 inoculation, then the booster again 4 to 6 weeks later. Note that the young animal has no immune protection between the inoculation and the booster.
Without a challenge, the amount of antibodies in a pregnant animal diminish quite rapidly. That is why the late-borns are more at risk than the early-borns, so get their inoculation younger than the early-borns. Also, some ewes don't make as many antibodies as others (for all sorts of reasons, including animals that leap away when the needle goes in), so it is quite possible that offspring from vaccinated mothers can die of clostridial diseases. Vaccinating the mother is not foolproof ..... BUT .... it is nearly so. If your lambs are particularly valuable, you can give them temporary protection by vaccinating with LambVax at tailing. This give short-term protection from the one injection, but for sheep that are going to be kept, two injections of 5-in-1 are needed for protection.
Lots of foetus growth happens in the last 2 weeks before birth. If too much food is given then, singles can grow too large so that you need to assist them out. Try to let your mothers give birth on clean pasture, because this is MUCH cleaner than you can ever make a shed. Sun on the pasture tends to kill off the nasty bugs (except for the clostridials, that you have vaccinated against).

kindajojo
9th July 2008, 08:58 PM
interesting reading longridge, I was wondering the relative merits of vacinating the ram lambs/wethers twice with the 5-in 1 as they are destined for the freezer/sales anyway at 6-10 months I cannot imagine that commercial farmers vaccinate their lambs that go to the works at weaning so imagine the loss to disease et al is minimal.
However as I have only 25 ewes it is really not a problem .......unfortunately I was vaccinating the ewes and last years lambs yesterday and did a few of the wethers which were destined for the freezer next week before realising that they werent ewe's (dont you just feel stupid sometimes).

Inger
9th July 2008, 10:05 PM
What a pain. Guess you'll have to wait a few more weeks until you can put them in the freezer now. :(

LongRidge
10th July 2008, 09:34 AM
kindajojo, we don't do the lambs that are going to the works straight off their mothers ( "milk lambs").
When we took over running the neighbours sheep and lambs, he had not vaccinated them for quite a few seasons. We lost enough animals from one of the clostridials in 5-in-1 (malignant odeama) for us to realise that it was very worthwhile vaccinating lambs. This bug is not in LambVax, so doing that would not have given them any protection.