PDA

View Full Version : Goat poo???

klpeters
10th June 2008, 08:04 AM
Any ideas on what to do with it? Every weekend I sweep out all my kennels and huts (nearly all have floors in them) and end up with about 1/2 a 20litre bucket. I've put it all around my garden but it doesn't seem to break down - it's so HARD! I'm sure the wind blows it away as even heavy rain doesn't seem to touch it. I know I should probably dig it in but only so many hours in a day bla bla bla ....
I make visitors take it home for their vege gardens telling them it must be as good as sheep s**t - but is it??
I live nearly at the end of a dead-end road so putting it out at the gate for any takers isn't much use.
Maybe I should just add it to the builders-mix pile for those on-going concreting jobs!

Kaz

maggies mum
10th June 2008, 08:08 AM
In the compost, darned good stuff, you can even make methane from it!;)

Andrea
10th June 2008, 08:15 AM
What about soaking it for a while and getting compost tea? Also, if you have chooks, chuck it at them and let them work it over. They will turn it into powder. If you have a place where you can spread it out, run a lawnmower over it on a low setting, and it will pulverise it as it goes into the grass catcher, and you can then spread that over your garden/vege patch. Otherwise, just make a compost pile of it in a quiet corner and let the worms work they're magic.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

gemini kiwi
10th June 2008, 08:58 AM
Black gold..................its all good. Pile it up in an area where its not in the way over a few months add leaves, grass cutting etc, anything and come Spring cover with weed mat and grow some squash in the pile for your goats. They love it.
If your into growing your own veggies spread it over one of the plots and leave to rot down in situ. I'm planning on dumping mine in a row over the next few weeks ready for planting some tomatoes this summer. heaps of ideas and uses, I don't give mine away.

maggies mum
10th June 2008, 09:32 AM
We chucked a load into a raised veggie bed along with other stuff, we had planned to plant in it the following year, but an old pumpkin had self seeded and we got over 60 pumpkins out of it! And none of it had even rotted down either! Darned good stuff for teh veggies for sure

klpeters
10th June 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks "heaps" ! I shall start stockpiling it.

The Kats Place
10th June 2008, 12:49 PM
Mine just goes in the compost heap.

Yakut
10th June 2008, 12:59 PM
One thing H.P pointed out to me about tollies.... if the goats have been drenched, their pooh won't rot down very quickly. It'll stay around for months. I must say I agree. Some areas that have been manured have obvious clumps that haven't broken down and I know the goats had been drenched when that pile was gathered in the first place.

Goat and sheep pooh has less seeds in it cos they grind their food more than cows and horses. It'll break down eventually.... maybe if it's in a cold area, it's not breaking down as fast. I dunno, just a guess.

Yakut

moggy
10th June 2008, 01:53 PM
Here I find that horse poo takes a long long time to rot down, except where I put is round trees that have spray irrigation, the water helps it to rot down, I guess the same would be for goats poo: - put it where it will get wet regularly

HarryPotter
10th June 2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, goat poo will not break down that easily if the goats are drenched regularly. I found Ivomec to be the "worst". All the organisms that would do the job of recycling are harmed. My goats are not drenched that often because so much of their food is brought to them. The birds and bugs do a very quick job of getting rid of poop but they do not touch it for quite sometime after the animals have been drenched.

beedee
10th June 2008, 08:03 PM
The other thing to think of is that the goats need their poo under them on a cold night it gives off heat.... the reason they do it in the house... so maybe make a raised bed so they can enjoy a warm night and only clean out the houses once a month, and the urine on them also will have broken down dem pesky pellets for you.
Donkey poo is the worst/best at keeping its shape, still briquettes after 3 mths of being in the garden.. but acting as good mulch and spud seed warmer.;)

klpeters
11th June 2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks - that's really interesting - and I have used Ivomec, although not for a good long while now. Funny that you say they may poop intentionally in their houses - my observations of my girls pooping is that it doesn't appear to be a concious effort at all - it just pops out willy nilly. They can be standing still, walking, running, leaping on logs and it just comes out, unlike most other animals that seem to take a "pooping stance".

gemini kiwi
11th June 2008, 09:26 AM
The "perfect" goat would be part Alpaca.....................it would do its business in just one corner.

maggies mum
11th June 2008, 09:37 AM
Or part pig they tend to go in the same area too and they never mess in their bedroom!

gemini kiwi
11th June 2008, 09:45 AM
Wonder why they don't do that though, I mean they are such intelligent creatures after all.