PDA

View Full Version : Veges for sheep

reggit
28th March 2008, 10:20 AM
Just so we are not wasting anything here at home, can anyone tell me if it is okay to feed sheep (and if they are likely to eat!) cabbage leaves, cauli and broccoli leaves.

Will they also eat pittosporum prunings?

Megan
28th March 2008, 10:44 AM
Cabbage, cauli and broccoli are all brassicas so yes they are safe to feed - my sheep find pittosporums delicious - but I'm not sure about copious quantities.

chooky
28th March 2008, 10:45 AM
We have some of our neighbours sheep in our bush area at the moment to eat the little grass that is there and they are munching on anything that is available - I have just pruned back this morning a rose ,some feijoa branches , wormwood , runner bean plant and some pittosporum and thay are eating the lot !
Rhodos , daphne and avocado come to mind as poisonous to stock but I am sure others will add some more to the list .

kcouper
28th March 2008, 11:30 AM
my sheep have taken a liking to cucumbers.

Llew
28th March 2008, 11:48 AM
Our shearer told me that pumpkin can be poisonous in quantity.

skysong
28th March 2008, 01:48 PM
We had some cauli that went to seed and along with some cabbages that the white butterflies got to we threw them over the fence to our sheep and they scoffed the lot! There was only the hard stalks left. We had a few Kale plants too and when I pulled one out and walked up to the fence with it, the sheep were trying to pull it out of my hands.

pkb
28th March 2008, 02:06 PM
There is very little our sheep won't eat - banana skins included. They love carrot peelings, citrus fruit, broccoli, lettuce, cauli, apples, courgette...and will come sprinting over to get it too. I feed them most of our organic waste except for egg shells, teabags and onion skins.

oskatd
28th March 2008, 02:10 PM
pkb, you need a goat to give your tea bags too....

Valmai
28th March 2008, 07:46 PM
My horses cows and sheep virtually inhaled the brussel sprouts, stems, leaves, the lot!

LongRidge
29th March 2008, 12:45 PM
tigger, the cows will like them better. Cows also like lettuce, silverbeet and red beet leaves, which our sheep won't touch.

reggit
29th March 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks LR - I've noticed that Bob the ram will hoover up everything he is given, so am hoping that while he is in with the girls, they'll learn to eat a wider range of stuff from his example! [:D]

LongRidge
29th March 2008, 01:05 PM
Corn cobs are liked by most animals ..... especially dogs ..... and with dogs they get caught between the canines and the molars, the dog gets very upset, and won't let you near to help. Tie up the dogs before feeding corn cobs to herbivores.

The Kats Place
29th March 2008, 01:30 PM
I just pulled out the climbing beans and feed to the goats and lambs, and some to pigs. Also snapped off the big outside leaves of the cauli/cabbage/brocolli in the gargen and feed some to all animals and chooks so they are all happily munching.

cowvet
29th March 2008, 02:13 PM
just remember to do any diet changes gradually...too much all of a sudden will really upset the gut