PDA

View Full Version : HELP ~ sheep with snotty bloody nostril..

Birman Babe
23rd March 2008, 07:09 AM
my elderly ewe is sneezing snot & blood from one nostril. Any ideas and, if so, how do I treat? Apart from that shes fat as a pig & eating well ...

terralee
23rd March 2008, 07:22 AM
Hey there BB if it is really dry and dusty at your place could it be that she just has dust irritating her nose and causing her to sneeze and bleed? Is it just one nostril? She may have got a stalk up it and scratched it ... If she is eating and happy in herself maybe just watch a day or so before panicking .. Hope it is nothing .
Cheers

Louimay
23rd March 2008, 07:42 AM
Most of my sheep are sneezing, coughing and have runny noses at the moment. I have put it down to dust and time of year.

As terralee says, just keep an eye on her. Could be something more sinister but if she is eating and happy I wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse or doesn't go away.

reggit
23rd March 2008, 07:57 AM
Same here as far as snotty noses and sneezing, which is combining with the dust to make their nostrils lovely and muddy [}:)]. It is a fair bit of blood or just flecks? That would worry me...

Isla
23rd March 2008, 08:03 AM
Sheep and cattle when stressed by too much physical activity (which might include a lot of sneezing) will sometimes bleed from the nose.

Birman Babe
23rd March 2008, 08:13 AM
Only one nostril & not flecks, when she sneezes a bit globule comes out & starts running down her face.. Very fresh looking blood. I feel so sorry for my sheep at the moment. Plus one of my last years lambs is badly favouring one back leg so we will have to catch her later & have a look at that.

hilldweller
23rd March 2008, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know what symptoms nasal bot causes? I'd do a google but I'm eating lunch and really don't want to know just now!

Birman Babe
23rd March 2008, 04:27 PM
I tried googling nasal bot symtoms, as that was the first thing I thought about, but couldnt find anything ? I have just been out walking amongst them and Pippi's nose is no longer running but it looks like she actually has a "cold sore" on her upper lip, just under the nostril. Probably from all the sneezing? Shes eating well so I will just keep an eye on her for now...

hilldweller
24th March 2008, 02:57 PM
How is she today?

Birman Babe
24th March 2008, 03:02 PM
Got a close up today & no snot or blood. But we have very little wind her today & I think it just might be the dust & constant sneezing/runny nose that has caused it the bleeding. Keeping an eye on her though...