Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 29th March 2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Celtic_Kiwi

What NOT to feed goats.

Well, I gave the goats some watermelon yeasterday and last night when I was feeding them found runny poos, so won't be doing that one again.

Just wondering before I kill these guys with good intentions, is there anything else I should not feed them??

I know, no tomatoes, little cabbage, anything else ???

I started with the hay this morning too.

Oh, and I tried cider vinegar with warm water and they wouldn't have a bar of it. Any ideas ???

Old 29th March 2007, 08:45 AM   #2
oskatd
Slave to Equine dictators

how come goats shouldn't eat tomatoes? ours love banana skins....
Old 29th March 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Telly
Apprentice Goatherd

Hi CK, I tried the cider vinegar and brown sugar thing too and Dorothy would not go near it. Maybe the molasses is a key ingredient in the beginning? So much for dosing her up for a doe kid I didn't know about cabbage and goats. I know you can't feed them rhododendrums,rubharb leaves (obvious), trees of the prunus variety or lupins.
HP: if you have any more suggestions as to how to get the cider into my goat that would be appreciated.
Old 29th March 2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Celtic_Kiwi
Domestic Goddess

OOOOoo yeah, they fight over the bananas and banana skins, I have taken to slicing them all up, and hand feeding them, though sometimes I am not quick enough and Snowflake and Kim nose their way into the bucket. lol. They will eat a little lettuce, love plums, peaches, apples and apricots. I love the crunching sound they make when they eat their apples.

I will have to get the molasses, and see how we go.

I have started a folder and am compiling a do and don't list.

Tir Na NOg
Old 29th March 2007, 01:14 PM   #5
HarryPotter
lsb member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Telly

Hi CK, I tried the cider vinegar and brown sugar thing too and Dorothy would not go near it. Maybe the molasses is a key ingredient in the beginning? So much for dosing her up for a doe kid I didn't know about cabbage and goats. I know you can't feed them rhododendrums,rubharb leaves (obvious), trees of the prunus variety or lupins.
HP: if you have any more suggestions as to how to get the cider into my goat that would be appreciated.
Ok! Like most goats, yours are smart too!You could drench them with a daily dose of CV. 5ml of CV and 5ml water in the same syringe and drench as you would for worms. The daily routine though can be a bit of a nusience but is a sure way of knowing they have taken it on board. The other, more user friendly way is to add it to their drinking water. I don't add it to their trough because it might kill the little beetles in the bottom of the trough. I know this sounds silly but I think they are the most amazing creatures, anway, moving along swiftly ()....your does will be able to smell the vinegar which is off putting initially so the art of disguise has to be employed and this is where the molases comes in. In a 9 lt bucket of warm water, pour in about two cups of molasses, and initially half a cup of CV. Make sure that you give it a good stir as the molasses sinks to the bottom. Warm water is really palatable and helps to suspend the molasses. I have never met a goat to refuse a warm, sweet drink.
Over about a week, slowly increase the CV until you have the same amount of molasses but have increased the CV to about 500 ml per 9lt of water.
Some of my does will drink the CV directly from a syringe and some don't but all of them consume the diluted potion with relish so I know they are getting the CV.
I hope this helps Dorothy to be a bit more accomodating!
HP
Old 29th March 2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Dream Weaver

Mate with kath and kim like my others apart from the alpines who just drink it straight. Put 10 mls in a syringe and syringe it down their throats.
I was told not to give tomatoes,potatoes, rhubarb, probably other things. Also nothing from bulbs, rhodos are leathel to. Keep up the hay and hopefully the runs will stop. they do like abit of flax and love their willow (not too much at once though) love fejoas to, pumpkin. I will keep thinking.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Celtic_Kiwi
Domestic Goddess

I gave them butternut pumpkin, but they wouldn't touch it. Will try the crown pumpkin (I can't stand butternut myself, gag, gag)

Tir Na NOg
Old 30th March 2007, 10:51 PM   #8
welshie
Keeper of hens

Our goats eat any fruit and veges. Beedee once told me to feed them the occasional rhubarb leaf & stalk for worm control. We do this about once a month. They love them and have never had any ill-effects.
When I am cutting back the herbs I always chop them up on top of the fruit & veges. Comfrey, parsley, marjoram, borage...they love them all.
When I dead-head or prune the roses they devour them with great delight.
I find that the more variety our goats have, the healthier they seem.

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.
Old 31st March 2007, 11:43 AM   #9
beedee
lsb member

Toooo much cabbage and others in that family can give a condition of leukaemia.. sorry the necktop got wet yesterday while out feeding out so Ive lost the noun file... but a little wont hurt, rhubarb leaves for sheep are a nono but Ive seen one or two eat without problems but dont encourage such behaviour.
BTW for those in this warm humid piako area the FE count is now HIGH so zinc needs to be on the menu if it hasnt already been started.. I have puffballs and toadies but no mushrooms,not even magic ones... that might be a different story now that everything at ground level can breathe again.
So llamalama if you had a llama you'd be out drenching!!!!
Old 31st March 2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Dream Weaver

Herbs are excellent. confrey,wormwood,parsley especially for iron,chives mine love to.selfheal,abit of fennel I have a herb garden just fot them. i took eboney out to it the other day as she was abit off colour, she choose what she wanted and hoed into the parsley, a few chives and thats all she wanted.
Closed Thread