Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 15th January 2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Kilmoon

ACV as "drench" for sheep - UPDATE Receipe

Hi all, anyone used Apple cider vinegar as a drench for sheep? and if so what results (positive/negative) did you have and what was the doasage rate.
Thanks for any info

Old 15th January 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Bracken
advanced member

Yes I use it, can't say I have had any negative results, as for positive results it's hard to tell as I don't know what they would be like without it. The sheep are organic and very healthy, every year seems to be less dagging to do. They get herbs and other things too, but I certainly think that A.C.V has a big part to play in thier health. (There are some who say annecdotes like this prove nothing, but the sheep have had no problems.) Should be amounts on the container but generally 10mls (diluted 50/50 with water) per sheep every 21 days, or put into the troughs.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:53 AM   #3
electrickitty
advanced member

I drench my goats with a mixture of that, garlic, alfalfa, and a couple of other ingreds... vet jusy did a fec count and it came back ZERO!!!!!! They have not been drenched with commercial stuff for at least 1 year.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
LittleLSB
lsb member

Can you divulge your recipe Electrickitty? Or is it a commercially available mix?
Old 15th January 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
doodlesmum
advanced member

I'd be interested too Electrickitty....after what we have been through today....I'd love to give them all something that was healthy but helpful!
Old 15th January 2007, 10:03 AM   #6
electrickitty
advanced member

I can divulge it....i will put a list togeather and post it this arvo folks!
The Following User Says Thank You to electrickitty For This Useful Post:
Old 15th January 2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Kilmoon
lsb member

Thanks for that people. The reason I asked was that the new neighbour asked whether we had ever tried it, as they hadn't but had heard about putting it in troughs for sheep. I'd not even heard about it before.

Electrickitty - I also would be very interested in that receipe.
Old 15th January 2007, 11:16 AM   #8
witheze
lsb member

I was listening to zb newstalk the other week when an elderly lady rang in, she was American and aboard a cruise ship. She was extolling the virtues of apple cider vinegar,it turned out her father had written a book on apple cider vinegar and its benefits, he had created a mini empire promoting natural health foods. Google Bragg apple cidar vinegar. She didn't mention worming beasts tho, it may be in the book.
Old 15th January 2007, 11:31 AM   #9
oskatd
Slave to Equine dictators

I think it has alround health benefits to all animals (those with 2 legs also). I put it down as one of the main contributing factors to the on going soundness of my old horse. haven't heard that it treats worms though!
Old 15th January 2007, 11:35 AM   #10
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by electrickitty

I drench my goats with a mixture of that, garlic, alfalfa, and a couple of other ingreds... vet jusy did a fec count and it came back ZERO!!!!!! They have not been drenched with commercial stuff for at least 1 year.
The worms probably run a mile when they smell the goats coming!
Old 15th January 2007, 12:41 PM   #11
jeannielea
lsb member

I think there is a site run by the Redwood apple cider vinegar people that has lots of info on the benefits. They sell it both with and without garlic. We use it too and it does seem to keep the sheep healthy. It won't kill worms if they are there but can help prevent their return by boosting health. We add a commercial mineral mix and sometimes molasses and the sheep will come up and lick the bottle or drench gun. In other words, they love it.
Old 15th January 2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Jo-Otago
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Yep, we use Redwood Cellars ACV as well - happy to plug them as they are really great to deal with! Haven't yet had the time to properly evaluate FECs with & without ACV drenching... one of these days when I have time! Redwood Cellars are really interested in getting some research conducted in the area... not sure if they've managed to get someone on board for that or not yet.
Neighbour with goats uses simiilar sounding mix to yours EK, but also with copper sulphate, and consistently has low or zero FECs. Definitely worth looking into...
Old 15th January 2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Clods
lsb member

Do you know if EHE for horses (which is apple cider vinager with extra things added) is OK to give to goats? I'm asking as it has selenium and other things in it, and wondered if its OK.
Old 15th January 2007, 04:51 PM   #14
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

I also use the Redwood Cellars stuff. I give it either orally or via the trough when I know they're using it.

From what I've read it's not really accurate to call it a drench though, i.e. it won't be effective on animals that already have a significant worm burden and I don't use it in that way.
Old 15th January 2007, 06:24 PM   #15
Kilmoon
lsb member

You're right Hilldweller, I should have been more accurate in my description of the stuff. Was able to pop into CRT toiday and pick up a 20L pack of it. So this weekend the flock will be 'drenched' (when using the drench gun for application what better word is there?) with their Apple cider. It will be interesting to see what affect it has on the flock in a few months time...as one needs to do it every 21 days. I wouldn't bother putting it in our troughs (unless of course it helps keep thoise clean! as well) as I have noticed that some sheep drink more than others.
Old 15th January 2007, 07:57 PM   #16
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

I read somewhere (can't remember where but I follow this advice) that the ACV should be diluted 50/50 with water for 'drenching'. Have you ever taken it yourself? It's pretty strong and makes you cough a bit.
Old 15th January 2007, 09:28 PM   #17
Dream Weaver

ACV in water with honey is excellent for humans. I give it to my goats to. I give 10mls by syringe,BUT my 2 Alpines go crazy over it and will drink 20/30 mls if i let them.
Old 16th January 2007, 06:56 AM   #18
just pete
advanced member

try mint sauce ,dont know if it kills worms but it does make the meat taste great lol
Old 16th January 2007, 07:09 AM   #19
Kilmoon
lsb member

HD - Yes will dilute 50/50 with water when giving it to them (says so on the insstructions)....will also make enough to have some ourselves as a trial taste so to speak.

Justpete - we find tomatoe sauce is much better than the mint sauce.
Old 17th January 2007, 07:37 AM   #20
Kilmoon
lsb member

Hi all,

I've been googling and found a receipe for sheep (electirkitty is this what you use??)

each ewe is given a 25cc (equates to 25mls?) containing:
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon molasses
30ml of apple cider vinegar (made from 15ml ACV and 15ml water).
Closed Thread