Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 30th July 2006, 12:18 PM   #1
RKH

Sheep grinding teeth

Hi there, I'm new here but have been watching and reading for some time. Can anyone tell me why a sheep would be grinding its teeth? She seems to be doing it heaps and wonder what it might mean. Thanks for your help (in advance).

Old 30th July 2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Hi and welcome,
My suggestion is it could be in pain...
I know goats grind their teeth when in pain....

Plenty of sheep people here to give you a more definative answer though. Hope it's nothing serious.

Yakut
Old 30th July 2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Kilmoon
lsb member

Sheep will usually grind their teeth when stressed. Is this ewe doing it when yarded or when you approach? ie: what is the context when she grinds?
Old 30th July 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

Our old Wiltshire ewes (not human friendly) grind their teeth and stomp their feet when cornered in the yards. I guess its the sheep version of the Haka. 'Don't mess with me'.
Old 30th July 2006, 05:30 PM   #5
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Same, Inger, we have one ewe that does that when yarded, bloody loud too, can hear it some distance away!
Old 30th July 2006, 05:35 PM   #6
cowvet
lsb member

Aggitation, stress, pain, Preg toxaemia, listeria....probably an endless list - whether it serious or not depends on the context as questioned above.

I love animals...they're delicious
Old 30th July 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
RKH
lsb member

No she's not yarded. She has had lice recently but all treated and rid of them. Although she's lost a bit of wool (she's an Arapawa). Yes it's very loud can hear her from over the paddock. Thanks for all your answers!
Old 30th July 2006, 07:47 PM   #8
RKH
lsb member

Also, she doesn't seem to be off her food but is sometimes trembling slightly and tends to stay away from the other sheep a bit (that could be just me being paranoid though).
Old 30th July 2006, 07:49 PM   #9
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Has she been with the other sheep for long? If she is a newby could she be feeling a bit stressed as not part of the original flock?
Old 30th July 2006, 07:54 PM   #10
RKH
lsb member

No she's one of the originals, it's very strange. She's a funny looking thing at the moment with her patchy wool, maybe she's embarrassed? Just kidding, it is actually starting to concern me a bit. Keep running up to check on her, she's a typical Arapawa, quite approachable but doesn't like to be touched and is starting to prove a real handful to catch. Thought maybe if I could get some drench into her it may help......suggestions please....
Old 30th July 2006, 09:09 PM   #11
TITPLR

Think worms

Old 31st July 2006, 12:12 AM   #12
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

Wouldn't hurt to worm her.
Old 31st July 2006, 08:06 AM   #13
RKH
lsb member

Thanks guys, was thinking that but good to have it confirmed. Will try to catch her again today, might have to wait for hubby to get home though cos she's a bit of a handful!