Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 10th May 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
hogies
advanced member

Question Weird meaty lump in nest box beside egg with no shell

Found a weird meaty lump in nest box beside egg with no shell.

Cut it open with a knife and it was meaty and dense..on first inspection before I took a closer look I just thought it was the shell off a soft shell egg.

Any ideas of what this would be? I have uploaded a photo Click image for larger version

Name:	egg.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	10518
hogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
pisa
lsb member

Re: Weird meaty lump in nest box beside egg with no shell

Do you have a close up of the cut up piece? This photo suggests maybe the shrivelled-up membrane of a shell-less egg?
1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting

http://petraalsbachstevens.blogspot.com

http://pounuiresortrestaurantcafe.blogspot.com
pisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
hogies
advanced member

No didnt think to get a close up as I wasnt planning on posting it on here. I am fairly sure it is not membrane...it was about 2cm diameter and when I cut it up it was very fleshy looked almost like canned tuna.

We have 3 pullets that a due to come on lay and 2 older chooks we got for free in January that have only ever layed a couple of shell less eggs..Not 100% sure if it was the older chooks that layed this.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Simkin
Chookaholic

Hopefully it was one of the older chooks as it looks like this hen will never lay again. There was a thread years ago about these lumps - it's the excreted diseased ovary.

Approximately 25% of commercial layers do this after their first laying season - another reason to not get ex cage hens if you want eggs.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:05 AM   #5
hogies
advanced member

Interesting yes I hope it was the older one. We didnt get cage hens just hens from someone local who said "they had no time to keep chooks anymore" silly us for falling for that as novice chook owners. We will only ever get pullets going forward.

Do you think the egg would have then come from a different chook or is it normal for them to pass the ovary with a final shell less egg?
Old 10th May 2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Simkin
Chookaholic

Not sure but it would make sense that it came from the same hen. The yolk looks so clean that it is unlikely that another hen was involved.
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
cackle
lsb member

Hi there my hens have laid these at times it is called a lash very common in older hens if you Google it you will find out about them. The one i found it looked like a rubbery piece of meat and it was sort of hollow inside. Hope this helps you.
cackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 08:56 PM   #8
hogies
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cackle View Post
Hi there my hens have laid these at times it is called a lash very common in older hens if you Google it you will find out about them. The one i found it looked like a rubbery piece of meat and it was sort of hollow inside. Hope this helps you.
Yes I ended up reading about these on some poultry sites after posting. So would you say with your chooks this has not stopped them laying? Also do your chooks typically produce a lash when they are coming off/back on the lay?
Old 11th May 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
cackle
lsb member

The one that layed this, now and again would lay others I can tell as she is just not herself but once she has she perks up. I don't think she is laying anymore but that's ok she is in retirement now. I'm a bit of a softy i really enjoy my hens i'm not too worried if she doesn't lay an egg as i still get plenty of goodness to put on my garden.
cackle is offline   Reply With Quote