Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 10th March 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
wal89
advanced member

Crack in hoof wall of goat , advice needed!

One of my goats has a crack on the hoof wall , she has been favouring the leg , i have been cleaning the crack and putting betadine on it . I have some copper sulphate , should i apply this (copper sulphate) to the crack and bandage? Any advice from the goat experts here much appreciated , thanks.
wal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Re: Crack in hoof wall of goat , advice needed!

I have not struck this problem before, but have this on file: http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?a...;topic=17767.0 for 'just in case'. I hope it is of some help to you.

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 05:19 AM   #3
wal89
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I have not struck this problem before, but have this on file: http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?a...;topic=17767.0 for 'just in case'. I hope it is of some help to you.
thank you , for your reply!
Old 11th March 2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Hoof trimmer
advanced member

Can you put up a photo of the hoof? as it's hard to give sound advice from the brief description.
Copper Sulphate won't do anything to help the hoof immediately, it will help if there is an infection though.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
LongRidge
lsb member

With cracked hooves in goats, I have been told to cut away as much of the hoof wall as possible to open the infection (which it will very probably have at the top of the crack) to fresh air, and to allow junk to drop out of the crack. So cut the wall back in small slivers until just before it starts bleeding. If you are then able to soak the hoof with the bluestone (copper sulphate) solution then do that. I put it in a plastic jar and hold the foot in the jar for at least 1 minute, but 20 minutes would be far better. After soaking the hoof, get a small piece of cotton wool, soak that in the bluestone, and pack that into the crack.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
wal89
advanced member

Thanks for the advice , i will try and get a pic up tommorow . I have just been into their paddock and applied some copper sulphate , its in a cream form . She does not seem to be in alot of pain but I know it must be uncomfortable for her and it is worrying me as well as I have only had my pet goats for 2 years and are really not sure what the best course of action should be, the crack itself is relatively clean as I have been cleaning it regularly and theres no junk in there , what should I use to cut the crack back? hoof trimmers would be to big , or should i just take her to the vet ?
Old 11th March 2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Has the hoof wall come away from the side of the toe at all? That's where gunk will get packed in if it has. Otherwise, I think I would be inclined to give it a warm water soak in epsom salts and a touch of copper sulfate at least once a day. The soaking will help the hoof stay softer and possibly easier for you to assess as times go on. It may also make it soft enough after a while to nibble away at the sharp bit (is there a sharp bit?) with your hoof trimmers. What sort of trimmers do you use? The great big hoof rot shears like the ones shoof sells are way too big to properly get a goat's hoof trimmed properly. I use rose secateurs, nice fit in the hand, and much more manageable. I've had the same pair for 13 years.

Anyway, will look forward to seeing your photo.

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 07:22 PM   #8
LongRidge
lsb member

Sheep hoof clippers are fine for goats, but they must have a thin blade, and be kept sharp. I use an old chainsaw file with a handle on it for that.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 06:02 AM   #9
wal89
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Has the hoof wall come away from the side of the toe at all? That's where gunk will get packed in if it has. Otherwise, I think I would be inclined to give it a warm water soak in epsom salts and a touch of copper sulfate at least once a day. The soaking will help the hoof stay softer and possibly easier for you to assess as times go on. It may also make it soft enough after a while to nibble away at the sharp bit (is there a sharp bit?) with your hoof trimmers. What sort of trimmers do you use? The great big hoof rot shears like the ones shoof sells are way too big to properly get a goat's hoof trimmed properly. I use rose secateurs, nice fit in the hand, and much more manageable. I've had the same pair for 13 years.

Anyway, will look forward to seeing your photo.
Thats the course of action , I will take , daily soak in epsom salts and apply copper sulphate and then cut away the edge as it becomes easier to cut . She is moving around alot better now , so thats good . I use the sheep type trimmers , so might have to have a look at rose secauters.
Thanks again for your interest and advice ! if i need anymore i know where to come.