Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 12th December 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Hannahbell
lsb member

Are Pigs allowed Corn Cobs??

Not too sure if they are able to have them. Just had a nice dinner with fresh corn on the cob, but wondering what to do with the empty cob.
Hannahbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

Re: Are Pigs allowed Corn Cobs??

my 3 Kune kunes ( Petie pig, Bundy and Coke) they all eat corn cobbs and love them
Go for it .. experience here says they love them and it does them no harm
Old 12th December 2011, 07:38 PM   #3
charlotte1
lsb member

We fed maize cobs straight from the plant to our piggies last summer as extra fodder when it was abit drier. They generally just nibbled the kernals off the cob but did eat some.
charlotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

Pigs can eat anything that humans can eat and shouldn't be fed anything that humans can't eat. Their digestive systems are very similar to ours.
Inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Ronney
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger View Post
Pigs can eat anything that humans can eat and shouldn't be fed anything that humans can't eat. Their digestive systems are very similar to ours.
While agreeing with that, it doesn't always hold true. I wouldn't eat corn cobs and quite honestly, don't see how I would ever get my teeth through them but I have a boar that hangs out for them and with whatever psi he can exert with his jaws, munches them happily.

Hannah, there is very little nutritional value in the cob but if your pigs are happy to chomp their way through it, it certainly won't hurt them. Over the years I've had pigs that will just flick them out of the way and others that will eat them. Like humans, they have their personal likes and dislikes.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
katieb
lsb member
Friend of LSB

I give them to my chooks to peck at, & wouldnt give them to my kune kunes incase one choked, they may be be fine but ive had a pig nearly die after trying to eat part of a stale french stick my mum fed her! My mum is now very carefull with what she sends for the pigs esp since we havnt let her live it down & the next bag she gave us had a salad server in it!
Old 13th December 2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

My pigs have always stripped the corn kernals off them and then ignored the cob.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 08:12 PM   #8
LongRidge
lsb member

I enjoy eating young corn cobs, and have no problem digesting them. My animals like old corn cobs, even the dogs. But with the dogs the cobs get caught between the canines and other teeth, so I have to be careful that the dogs don't get the cobs that have been fed to the other animals.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Hannahbell
lsb member

I gave them the ones that my girls did not eat and they appear to be gone now. I usually give them to our pet rats as they LOVE them. I kept a couple aside for the ratites though.
Hannahbell is offline   Reply With Quote