Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Bo Peep
advanced member

Lambs, pot bellied and still born

We have had a few lamb deaths 6 in total and they all have had pot bellies No other signs or symptems, The deaths havent even been on the same property.
Just wondering if any one has any clues?? All comments greatfully recieved
Thanks guys
Bo Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Sd
lsb member

Re: Lambs, pot bellied and still born

Hi, i'm not sure about still borns, but older lambs that die and have a bloated guts are often a result of blood poisoning. They can also have traces of blood and foam coming from their nose.
Vaccinating the ewes pre lambing is a good idea.
Sterile gear used at docking time is also important for lamb health.
Sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
LongRidge
lsb member

A farmer friend of mine, Mal, mentioned that was happening more than usual to him this lambing. His are being born bloated and either die coming out, or soon after. The ewes have been vaxed with 10-in-1, and are probably not one of the clostridials because it is happening before they can have got a navel infection. So, no idea, but would be interested because it is one of the problems that has not happened to our ewes ... yet .....

PS. Have the lambs been pot-bellied at birth, or have they got pot-bellied soon after death? If soon after death, then Sd's suggestion of "blood poisoning" is very possible. The Clostridials cause sudden death, then rapid rigor mortis and rapid blowing up. Some also cause the muscles close to the skin to go very dark very quickly, and to cause a bit of foam to be expelled from the mouth.

Last edited by LongRidge; 23rd August 2011 at 08:58 PM..
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

How many total have you had lamb? if you've had 12 ewes lamb then 6 is a high number. If you've had 1200 lamb, 6 is very low!!
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Bo Peep
advanced member

No foaming LR and they are normal up until they go belly up. Not sure about the poisoning theroy as there have been deaths on other rented properties as well, I would have thought it highly unlikely that two different properties, not close to each other, would have something new thats poisonous. but maybe, its baffeling us

It is a low number Anne, but the mystery is why the big bellies.
There is no sign that anything else was wrong.
Bo Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 07:49 PM   #6
cowvet
lsb member

are they full term or prematire births. and/or at what age do they die?

I love animals...they're delicious
cowvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
LongRidge
lsb member

"Blood poisoning" means being infected by a bacteria that causes rotting inside the animal, not eating something that is poisonous. The usual blood poisoning bacteria are common on every farm in NZ, and the rest of the world. So "Blood Poisoning" could very likely happen on different properties. Also, the bacteria that cause problems are likely to be different each year because each type of bacteria likes different conditions, and most years are a bit different to other years.
Have the ewes been vaxed within the last month with the same anti-Clostridial vaccine that they were originally vaxed with?
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 08:41 PM   #8
DiDi
lsb member

Glad to see Cowvet answering this as not in my demographics so what is the answer to her question. Your initial post in not obvious as to when this is happening i.e days post birth etc?
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote