Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 5th August 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

How often do goats have triplets?

Went out mid morning today and one of my first cross (by accident) angora x saanen does had two small live kids and one large, dead kid by her. Only one placenta. Dead kid was cleaned on one side. Shifted mum and bubs into a prepared shed.

Checked all the other goats and none had appeared to have kidded. This evening I heard the very loud complaints of a kid. Followed my ears and found a kid through the fence in the neighbour's place. Mum (full angora) was close by. Removed mum and bubs to maternity ward.

Initially I assumed that the first doe had triplets (she was huge), but struggled with the big one and it died. This is her first (litter ) kidding. Then thought maybe the other doe had twins and then took the other one off to the other end of the farm. Two does were about 4 acres apart from each other. All the kids were very new and hadn't walked distances - but I guess the second doe could have had the large kid and then walked herself and then had the second kid?

Kids are too small and new to tell if there's any difference between the ones I know are 3/4 angora 1/4 saanen and the full angora. They are all dead cute.

So, how common is it for goats to produce triplets? This doe's mum has always had twins.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Rothwell
advanced member

Re: How often do goats have triplets?

With our goats, we get (used to get - don't kid any more) about 20% triplets, 1% quads, 20% singles and the rest twins. So for our Boer crosses, triplets are very common. I'm always suspicious about singles because they are so relatively rare .... and we've had a pet that had a single and then died because she didn't birth the second one. So (if we were still kidding) I do an internal check if we only get one kid from a doe.
Very probably the first was the big one, which died during birth or because the outside was too cold. If we were kidding, the first check gets done at dawn or just before. Any that are starting then get 20 minutes to deliver, then they get helped.
Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Anne
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Should have added that the second doe has always had singles and didn't look bigger this year than any other year.

So, I'm still thinking triplets and a single.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Rothwell
advanced member

We have had a couple of does that always produced singles. Singles can be a huge advantage in that some goats cannot count to 2, and singles grow much better than multiples. Thus you can remove more milk from the goat and not reduce her condition as much as multiple would. Goats with multiples, whether or not they are being milked, are very prone to use their body reserves to make milk, ie unless they are supplementary fed with high quality extra food they can almost or actually kill themselves producing milk.
Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
DiDi
lsb member

I have no idea only ever having had twins with Angora goats (no triplets) but the issue you raised that has me considering this is that I have never experienced a mother (whether goat or sheep) that will abandon a dead new born under 2 hours - SO - your description of the mothers being 4 acres apart would make me assume that they are not connected birth wise. However, that is a just an assumption on past experience so not really an answer. Sorry.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote