Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 27th March 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

Red face Feijoa freezing?

Sorry if this has already been covered but did a search and couldn't find anything. I have got feijoas coming out my ears and wondering if they can be frozen so I can deal with them when I have a little more time? If so do you freeze them whole or scoop the pulp out. Thanks
Old 27th March 2011, 07:15 PM   #2
grannie Mary
lsb member

Re: Feijoa freezing?

scoop out the pulp

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."
grannie Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 07:26 PM   #3
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

Thanks, you wouldn't have a great recipe for chutney as well?
Old 27th March 2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Coastal Patch
lsb member

Spicy Feijoa Chutney
18 peeled and chopped feijoas
3 chopped onions
3 peeled and chopped apples
55g sugar
400ml malt vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper or chiili powder
2 tbsp - in total - of Ground ginger, cinnamon, whole cloves, black papper
put all ingredients into a large pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for a good half hour, until the chutney thickens.
Stir frequently.
put into hot clean jars and seal.
Chutney esp. good with cheeses and meats.

Such a yummy chutney, I miss having a Feijoa tree, just planted a seedling at the new place. They freeze so well and are so versatile
Coastal Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

Thank you so much, I have just moved here and this is the first crop from these old and rather neglected trees. I will have to prune them back and feed them for next year but left them to fruit before I did. Very small fruit but the quantities!! Hopefully better size next year with a bit of tlc Left two beauties behind at my old place hope the new owner is enjoying them Love feijoas
Old 27th March 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Coastal Patch
lsb member

We left behind a huge one too, massive fruit and so many of them, and we moved to a bare property with one tree! A pine tree at that!!! So have planted the orchard, but just have to wait now for them to grow :-)
Coastal Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 08:04 PM   #7
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

I know what you mean, I spent the first few months removing noxious weeds, except for the feijoas, a tangelo and grapefruit. Been busy planting so now I will be waiting too, great soil here though
Old 27th March 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Shae
advanced member

One thing I would do before you freeze them, would be to weigh the pulp and write it on the container/bag. So for jams etc you don't have to try and figure out the weights when they thaw, cause the do seem to produce a lot of fluid when thawed.

One thing we love to do with them, is to make a simple sugar syrup, say 1/2c sugar to 1c water, add a teaspoon or 2 of custard powder then mix in around a cup of feijoa pulp. Sounds kind of odd, but you leave it for an hour or so to mix and mingle (I also like to blitz the whole lot a wee bit). It makes a fabulous dessert sauce over cake, ice cream, anything really....
Shae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 08:42 PM   #9
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

We freeze them whole - just chop off the flower end and bag them up in 1kg lots. We make jam from them like this, and chutney. The only recipe I scoop out the flesh for is a sauce recipe. For the others I just chop when thawed enough to get the knife through and start cooking. Any cut surfaces may go a little brown but that doesn't matter once cooked.
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

Great thanks for all the ideas, I'm particularly partial to chutney but might try some of your other suggestions Sounds much easier to deal with them in 1 kilo lots than the boxes I have at the moment...
Old 28th March 2011, 05:24 AM   #11
morioka
advanced member

I tried bottling them last year. Peel them, poach in sugar syrup and bottle them. So good that we are going to do lots (and lots) this year
morioka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 07:26 AM   #12
shad297
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Last night hubby decided to try bottling feijoas in the bottle using microwave. In a clean jar fill up with chopped feijoas, boil for 5-8mins on 70% power (some of ours came out the top) and then put lid on. We didn't add any sugar. We've done this with tomatoes also. It was late and we didn't have time to muck about last night.
shad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 08:18 AM   #13
stephclark
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad297 View Post
Last night hubby decided to try bottling feijoas in the bottle using microwave. In a clean jar fill up with chopped feijoas, boil for 5-8mins on 70% power (some of ours came out the top) and then put lid on. We didn't add any sugar. We've done this with tomatoes also. It was late and we didn't have time to muck about last night.

oohhh.. do tell more.. i havent heard of this approach and i havent been brave enough to dry traditional over flow in the oven thing for bottling..

so is it just the fruit in the jar? no sugar or water?..what preserves it?.. and tomatoes..what how etc?
stephclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 08:24 AM   #14
greenthumb
TAHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Thanks, you wouldn't have a great recipe for chutney as well?
I have to give you this recipe! Its amazing and if you have no feijoas, use figs
Feijoa /Fig Chutney

Ingredients
 1Kg Fig/Feijoa
 3 Med onions chopped
 2 cups dates chopped
 .2 cups chopped raisins
 2 Cups brown sugar (Firmly packed)
 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
 half tsp ground cloves
 half tsp cayenne pepper
 I tablespoon Curry Pdr
 2 cups water
 3 cups white vinegar

Bring all to boil, simmer briefly while hot jars are prepared
Makes Approx. 8 jars
Old 28th March 2011, 10:07 AM   #15
shad297
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Steph - I'll get proper instructions from hubby when he gets back from work. He is the bottler in the family. I know his mum has done this before too. I think it is just a more 'modern' way of boiling in the jar, as long as everything gets sterilised/boiled. I know last night he used an agee jar and metal top and screw thingy. The lid was boiled the feijoas boiled in m.wave, he topped up with a little boiling water and lid etc went on!
shad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:20 AM   #16
stephclark
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad297 View Post
Steph - I'll get proper instructions from hubby when he gets back from work. He is the bottler in the family. I know his mum has done this before too. I think it is just a more 'modern' way of boiling in the jar, as long as everything gets sterilised/boiled. I know last night he used an agee jar and metal top and screw thingy. The lid was boiled the feijoas boiled in m.wave, he topped up with a little boiling water and lid etc went on!

thanks heaps.. i would appreciate it..
Old 28th March 2011, 11:01 AM   #17
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

From the Cuisine mag - a fancy version, so just leave out the extras. When I need to skin feijoas, I halve them and use a teaspoon, as you would for eating kiwifruit.

Vanilla Feijoa Compote
20/4/2005
Andrew Emery

This is an ideal way to preserve feijoas so that they are available for use all year round. The problem is, in this form they are so delicious, you may run out by June.

35-40 feijoas
3 cups castor sugar
750ml water
1 vanilla pod split in half lengthwise
1 stick of cinnamon
1 large piece of dried orange peel (optional)

Place all the ingredients except the feijoas in a large pot and bring to the boil. With a sharp knife remove the skin of the feijoas. Place them into the sugar syrup and allow the mixture to come to the boil again. Remove from the heat. The fruit can then be bottled in jars that have been sterilised in the oven for at least 30 minutes at 120C (don't forget the lids). Conversely, the fruit can be stored in the refrigerator (after allowing them to cool first) and they last weeks.
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 11:24 AM   #18
stephclark
lsb member

FANTASTIC YUM YUM.. and all these years i have been just eating them fresh and, when i cant take anymore, i feed them to the horses!...

i am off to crawl around under the hedge!
Old 28th March 2011, 11:32 AM   #19
jeannielea
lsb member

The overflow method is good for feijoas and if you don't eat them all over the winter they inprove with time as the syrup gets thicker. Yummy with yoghurt but then I'll eat them any way at all!!
jeannielea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 01:53 PM   #20
Hasbeen
Churned not stired

I pick them up off the ground put them in plastic shopping bags & drop them in the bottom of the freezer.
They keep well for a year.
Defrost for jam, fruit sponge, mix with apple. make chutney when the mood strikes.

This season I have lost 2/3rds of the crop. 3 huge laden branches broke off during heavy rain.

Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 03:24 PM   #21
minnow
advanced member
Friend of LSB

I'm keen to hear more on the microwave method as well Will have to put aside some time to make those chutneys as well nom nom nom Thanks all and my mum has heaps of figs so I might just have to pay her a visit too..
Old 31st March 2011, 04:38 PM   #22
jeannielea
lsb member

The microwave method above seems pretty simple. I usually just put peeled fruit into a bowl with water, add sugar to taste(you can do it without sugar but the syrup thickens up if you do add some) Microwave till fruit is tender but only just cooked. Quarter fill jars of preferrred size with water and microwave till a rolling boil - I do three or four at a time. Take out, discard water, and spoon fruit into jars. Fill right to the top and then screw on lids. Wipe jars down and leave till cold and lids have popped. I sterilise the lids or tops and rings, by covering with water and bringing to boil on the stove top and use a teatowel to hold the lid so no air gets in while I screw tightly. Feijoas are very forgiving and it doesn't mater if you overcook but remember that they will go on cooking a bit after you seal the jar.
jeannielea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 06:10 PM   #23
blimeyvicki
lsb member

Making the sugar syrup for the compot right now and it smells divine!
blimeyvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 09:00 PM   #24
BlueSkyBee
advanced member

Talking Re: Feijoa freezing?

Just the thread I have been needing, got a sack of feijoas coming my way tomorrow

BlueSkyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 01:41 PM   #25
grannie Mary
lsb member

Hard prune your old tree, next year it will resprout on all the cuts & you'll have a lovely big old/new tree, but do prune really hard up to 2/3 off

the following year you will be loaded with fruit again

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."
grannie Mary is offline   Reply With Quote