Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 27th February 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
itlldu
advanced member

Whats the going price for weaner pigs?

Hi All

Looking into getting some weaner pigs and just wondering what a reasonable amount is to pay each and how much is too much. what sort of things should we be looking for in the way of animal condition?
itlldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 03:09 PM   #2
charlotte1
lsb member

Re: Whats the going price for weaner pigs?

We paib $85 each for 3. Our stock agent saw them an was most impresseb. Saib that they are massive for weaners an got them at a goob price. They are our first piggies, so fairly new at it. The seller hab saib that these were kept longer than he normally woulb.
charlotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Inger
Rare Breeds Matchmaker

We were selling ours for $120. That only just covered the cost of feed. They were 8-10 weeks of age and about 20 kgs in weight. Some were heading towards 25 kgs if they were from a small litter. It also depends on the breed of pig. Ours are Large Blacks, so grow bigger than most bloodlines of Kunekunes. There are some very big Kunekunes as well as some very small Kunekunes (as adults).

Berkshires are a smaller breed than Large Blacks, but Landrace or Large Whites are big breeds as well.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry.
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Gotland Sheep and Polled Wiltshire Sheep.
LOTS of wild birds incl. 10 Kiwi and lots of Weka. We also have frogs.
Inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Ronney
lsb member

The price varies all over the country and, like everything, depends on supply and demand. The average price seems to be around the $80.00 mark so be prepared to pay at least this. At this price they should be 8 weeks old - any less, you should be paying accordingly as you will have to take them through for that much longer.

If possible, watch your piglets before purchase. They will be wary of a stranger of course but should still be a little bit inquisitive. They should be "square" looking i.e. nicely rounded, with clean bodies and hair. Their eyes should be clear and bright with no weeping or gunk, the same for their mouths and nostrils. Look for limping and broken hooves. Don't worry too much about the curly tail as it tends to be a bit of a myth. I scalded a pig yesterday which still had a curly tail and I bet he wasn't a happy pig. I also own a 14 year old sow and I've never seen her tail with a curl in it - she just wags it like a dog when she eats.

Ask if they have been wormed. If they haven't, ask the seller if they will do it for you. If they won't, you should arrange to do it yourself as most piglets are full of worms and it slows their growth down and costs you a fortune trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear

The breeds you are most likely to come across are Lge Whites, Landrace, Duroc, maybe some Saddleback and Berkshire, and definately crosses of any of these. These are all good breeds to take through to porkers as are the crosses.

And before you even consider bringing them home, ensure that where they are going to be living is absolutely escape proof. Pigs are the houdinis of the animal world and will get through a hole that you thought wouldn't let a mouse through.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 10:20 AM   #5
LongRidge
lsb member

Following on from Ronnie's final comment ..... you know the childrens story of the little pig that went to Farmer Brown's orchard to steal apples one hour before Mr Wolf turned up. Well, yes, pigs really can climb ..... The neighbour's pigs could climb sheep netting until they got high enough up the fence to squeeze through the mesh. A good hotwire 100 cm above ground works to help keeping weaners in. With that, they tend to not burrow under the fence, too. Remember that a lot of ploughing will happen, and it will be the most valuable thing that gets damaged.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
thevarneys
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Ronney - should we worm our piggy from the bush too? I hadnt thought of that.
thevarneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 06:14 PM   #7
LongRidge
lsb member

Our bush pig .... "Miss Piggy" if you've forgotten .... was very young, perhaps 7 days, when we got her, so I don't think that she had worms. But she did have lice eggs, which hatched about a week later. So she got a dressing of fly-strike powder. If yours was older when you got her, or had been reared somewhere that pigs had been raised, then I would give yours a worming.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Ronney
lsb member

Varney, definately worm your wild piglet. The only differance between a ferral pig and a domestic pig is that the ferral is better able to cope with a worm burden and their nomadic lifestyle tends to make it self-limiting. Now that you have brought this pig into a domestic (confined) situation, the worms need to be dealt with, more particularly if you are also running other pigs. If you have them running in a large area you may only have to do them the once or maybe annually.

LR, the age has nothing to do with it and if you never wormed your Miss Piggy it could well have had something to do with her awful behaviour. Worms are a real irritant to animals and bring out the very worst in them - they become feisty, bad tempered, hungry and into everything, forever on the move and picking on anything and everything around them. Most of the weaner pigs I buy in have never been wormed and it's interesting to watch the the change in their behaviour (and growth) within 3 days of worming.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
LongRidge
lsb member

That observation of yours is very interesting !!! I assumed that because she was very young she would not have had a chance to eat worms, or food with worms in it. Also, because she was growing well and had lots of get-up-and-go, that would also suggest that she was worm-free. Quite different than the other animals we have, that get lethargic when they have infestations.