Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 21st January 2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Lottie
lsb member

Red face Planting a crop for pig food

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on a quick growing crop to grow to help feed pigs? Our pigs have just gone away and we will replace them in 2 - 3 months but would like to have some sort of fresh feed available for the new pigs - would cabbage be a good idea?
Lottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Jen - Featherston
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: Planting a crop for pig food

Peas? good legume so has protien
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Stikkibeek
lsb member

Kale might be easier in the cabbage family, Silver beet also good.
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:25 AM   #4
thevarneys
lsb member
Friend of LSB

We were thinking of doing a similar thing - maybe turnips/swede like for cattle?
thevarneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
The Kats Place
lsb member

Mine don't like cabbage much, I grow Kale and silverbeet in the veg garden for winter picking for the pigs and goats. What about planting some in their forage area won't last long but for a $3 pack of seeds it could make a reasonable snack.
Last time I moved the pigs out O raked in all my old seed to the bare areas and a fair bit came up and the new piglets loved it.
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
canajanz
advanced member

Pumpkins? Swedes, sugar beet, carrots, turnips, parsnips, potatoes can all be grown where the pigs can dig them up as they wish
Confrey, marrows and brassicas...
barley is the best all round feed but you need to harvest it

And funnily enough ... if you can work out how to manage it ... dishwater. The pre-wash (soap free) rinse water can all be recycled to water the pigs but it is a nuisance.

And of course if you have a cow ... pigs do well on left over milk.
Old 22nd January 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
The Kats Place
lsb member

I've been freezing surplus goat milk for later use with the pigs as i have pleanty of feed at present. Yes pumpkins are a great feed crop for pigs. Any garden surplus is good, except raw onions, leeks, celery and parsnip or green potatoes but they are all OK cooked.
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Ronney
lsb member

Hi Lottie and welcome to the site

thevarneys have the right idea - turnip and swede make an ideal crop to grow for pigs and both the tops and the vegetable are edible. Spring and autumn planting varieties are available which ensures an nearly all year round access. Leafy vegetables are ok but take up a lot of room for little benefit. Certainly plant a bit extra in your vege garden but I wouldn't go all out to grow a crop of cabbages for pigs.

Stay away from crops that pigs are not keen on, are toxic or are too hard to grow. They are not overly fussed on carrots, parsnip are difficult to grow, pigs don't much like them in the raw state and if fed raw can cause lesions to the mouth not unlike FNM. Raw potatoes, green or otherwise, fed in largish amounts are toxic to pigs. One or two are fine, half a bucketful is likely to kill them so for safetys sake, they should always be cooked.

Anything in the squash/pumpkin/buttercup family is a good option and has the benefit of being able to be stored against a rainy day. Chokos are a good filler and grow like a weed in some places. I use them along with rolled barley cooked up with waste food.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 09:13 AM   #9
igor
lsb member

My wife planted potatoes last season in what is now the boar pen. After the potatoes were dug and the boar was put back in I gathered several meals worth of potatoes that the boar dug up but did not eat. Each time I went to feed the pigs I would pick up a few more.
Artichokes have been suggested elsewhere as very good pig fodder. Beware though that once you plant them you will have them for ever. Neither you, nor the pigs, will find all of them and the few you miss will grow.
igor is offline   Reply With Quote