Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 10th September 2010, 09:48 PM   #1
CEW79
advanced member

Question How do you tell if a Ewe is pregnant?

Probably a silly question, but we have been adopted by two Suffolk Ewes (they wandered into our place & after lots of ringing around the neighbourhood we still can't find their original owners). Is there a simple way to tell, or do you just wait and see? They're being well fed on nice fresh grass and a few Multi feed nuts/pellets and seem quite happy.
CEW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
LongRidge
lsb member

Re: How do you tell if a Ewe is pregnant?

Very difficult. Before we scanned, we were left guessing with the last few. One time I couldn't work it out so got the expert with 50 years experience in to see if he could tell me. He couldn't.....
If they are true Suffolks and are pregnant they will have lambed before Christmas. If not by then then they won't.

Last edited by LongRidge; 10th September 2010 at 09:59 PM..
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 09:58 PM   #3
DiDi
lsb member

Nope - you won't know until they do their thing. You MAY notice if their udders swell but even that in not a guarantee until the day before or a few days before.

Just relax and see what happens as there is nothing else you can do. Well you could vaccinate etc but I wouldn't personally. Given that there is 5 months between mating and birth (roughly) it also depends on how long ago they adopted you.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

may or may not be correct , but the older builder at the Olive grove last year ( when i had no idea if Trixy, Milly, Molly, were pregnant, as it had only been 2 ram lambs that came out for a holiday) told me , if you tip the ewe up and give her teat a squeeze you will get some sticky stuff ( colostrum i pressume) come out if she is pregnant, wont get anything if she isnt ... well he tipped up my 3and did that , and reckoned all 3 were preganant .. and they were
I have no idea if his theory is correct or not , but it was right here last season
Old 11th September 2010, 09:59 AM   #5
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

That's not actually a good idea Stu - it breaks the seal and bugs can get in.

Sometimes it's obvious from their body shape, other times not. And as others have said, the udder is a good sign but you may not see that until they're fairly close. But if they've been wandering around the neighbourhood I'd say the chances are they're in lamb LOL.
Old 11th September 2010, 03:19 PM   #6
CEW79
advanced member

Thanks for that everyone! Maybe it wasn't such a silly question after all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRidge View Post
If they are true Suffolks and are pregnant they will have lambed before Christmas. If not by then then they won't.
What's a true Suffolk? How do you tell? These ones feet and head are more brown than dark black!
Old 11th September 2010, 03:31 PM   #7
CEW79
advanced member

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9467.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	5959

Here's a pic of my two girls. Do you recon they are true Suffolk?
Old 11th September 2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

No expert here on breeds
but at a guess i say theylook preggers to me so i think your about to be a grandma/granddad
Old 11th September 2010, 03:37 PM   #9
CEW79
advanced member

Oh I do hope so
Old 11th September 2010, 04:51 PM   #10
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

They're nice looking sheep and most NZ sheep are seasonal breeders so whether Suffolk or a mix, if they're going to lamb, they should do so this side of Christmas.
Old 11th September 2010, 04:54 PM   #11
terralee
Aged Animal Accumulater
Friend of LSB

Hi CEW79 ... I would say your girls are ...predominately suffolk but not pure with the white on their faces and their longish fleece ..they are lovely looking girls Hard to say if they are pregnant but they sure are round and in excellent condition ....look out for udder developement and of course
*mushy tushies*
Cheers
I can't remember how to spell mushy tushies
Old 12th September 2010, 01:47 PM   #12
PalmyCol
advanced member

It's very easy to tell if a ewe is pregnant. You will get up one morning after a night of complete crap weather and you will have small sheep in with the big sheep

Only way to guarantee it is to get them scanned but I would take the wait and see approach as it's much cheaper.
Sometimes ( and I emphasise sometimes, cause there is no allways with sheep ) The sheep about to lamb will separate itself from the others a day or 2 before it lambs, so that may give ewe a bit of warning. But then I have had some that do and some that lamb right in the middle of all the other sheep so it's a bit of a lucky dip.
Good luck
PalmyCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 03:54 PM   #13
LongRidge
lsb member

If you give the fleece a bit of a tug and it breaks off, then that would suggest they are pregnant.
I too think they are part Suffolk, and probably at least half. My lambs from a Suffolk ewe and a Romney father tend to be more Suffolk coloured, and vice versa. So the parentage of yours could well be Suffolk mother, Romney father in which case they will definitely lamb before Xmas ..... if they are going to lamb. Don't overfeed them before now and Xmas. If they are pregnant and especially if with singles then you risk dystocia (ie lambs too big to get out easily).
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 04:03 PM   #14
DiDi
lsb member

I agree with your guessed genetics Longridge. When I opened the first picture, I had a coloured Romney looking at me. The only question would be (and maybe it is the angle) the second ewe seems to have quite a pointy jaw x Perandale?
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote