Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 8th September 2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Calves with watery eyes

We just got some calves (10 days - 2 weeks old) on the weekend. All fine, no foul poops, just really watery eyes, bordering on the goopy, yellow stuff I get occasionally from my 2 old cobalt-deficiency prone Saanens (10 and 14 years old). Does this symptom mean something else in calves? If not, how would they have become Co deficient so quickly? They are on straight goats' milk now, had been on powder where they came from, so we did a transition over the last few days. It just appeared on all 3 this morning. Eyes are otherwise clear, no signs of redness or swelling.

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Ronney
lsb member

Re: Calves with watery eyes

Andrea, I get this in my calves now and again, particularly at this time of the year and put it down to the pollen irritating them. The eyes themselves will be clear, no sign of redness or swelling, just runny and goopy looking. I always keep an eye on them but they clear up on their own, usually within a few days. After having lived in a cobalt deficient area, I would be looking for it in weaned calves.

This is not in calves that have been bought in but calves born on the farm. In your case it could be just part of the traveling experience which seems to have the ability to often upset their whole system.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Bo Peep
advanced member

Andrea I know nothing about cows but our sheeps eyes at this time of the year are a mess, if they get too bad the vet gives us an ointment.
Its the pollen from all those pine trees.
I HATE PINES with a passion
Bo Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

I think you may be right, Ronny and Bo Peep - the pine pollen has just started here, and it's sticking all over everything. After the big blow we had the other night, it's no wonder their eyes are agitated. They look quite a bit better this AM, though. Maybe because of the rain now? Well, as long as they are vigorous, have an appetite and no messy poos, I won't worry about the eye thing. I always watch newly brought-in stock like a hawk for a few weeks, just to make sure the travel stress hasn't set something off.

Thanks!

www.tehuafarm.com
www.canterbury.goat.org.nz/
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote