Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 11th June 2010, 12:16 AM   #1
sundaysbest
Hairless Dog Advocate

Cleaning mould/mildew off curtains and blinds...

Hi guys, wondering if anyone knows a fail safe way of cleaning mould and mildew of curtains and blinds. They are all cream in colour, not thermal backed. The drycleaners said they weren't sure how good a job they would do. Dad said DO NOT wash them, even by hand, as they would stretch and shrink and reshape.

Not overly sure what to do. It's not bad, but I don't want it getting any worse. We live in a tiny place, but ventilate well etc, it's just one of those things I guess I will have to keep on top of annually.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.
Sundays
sundaysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 04:51 AM   #2
beedee
lsb member

Re: Cleaning mould/mildew off curtains and blinds...

I have the same problem and add 5 x cats worth of smooching to them, I just keep the lights down low and in the dim light cant be seen.
you could try the vinegar/baking soda type thing that is meant to cure everything and sponge down.
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
terralee
Aged Animal Accumulater
Friend of LSB

Hmmmm much the same as beedee I just take my glasses off and everything disappears ...mould , mildew, cobwebs
.... drycleaners for the drapes maybe??? not sure with blinds ...venetian blinds just a good wet and scrub on the clothes line on a fine day but material ones ...is there a commercial cleaner avaliable?
hey sundays where you been????
Cheers
Old 11th June 2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

There was a company called Curtain Clean operating at Mt. Maunganui when I was there who did a great job of laundering curtains including customers NZ wide via courier. Maybe find a local agent for them or check out your Yellow Pages for a similar service in your area. I operated a complimentary business cleaning and repairing blinds (sometimes for them) but can't remember their pricing range.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
arnie.m
lsb member

Oil of cloves is a very good mildew/mould remover, and is especially nifty because it kills mould spores.

Mix about ten drops of clove oil into a spray bottle with about 50 ml of water. Shake well and spray onto affected area. Wait for it to dry and spray again. Brush the mildew off in between sprays (when fabric is dry). A few successive sprays/brushings should deal to it.

"As recommended by Shannon Lush"
arnie.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 07:20 PM   #6
sundaysbest
Hairless Dog Advocate

I know what you mean Bee and Terra, but as we are renting from a friend down the road from our farm, I want to keep this place in tip top knick, it's a cute wee cottage, so I kinda feel like I want to keep it cute and in top knick.
Any other thoughts???
My friend who we are renting from got us some "Interceptor Organic cleaner:" (like the weed killer but for mould indoor/outdoor/fabrics etc)... any thoughts??
Old 11th June 2010, 09:53 PM   #7
4trees
4trees

Hi, I heard Shannon Lush last week telling a lady who asked the same question, she suggested using 1kg of un-iodised salt dissolved in a bucket of cold water. Soak the curtains, do not rinse, and hang on the line, they will look crusty as they dry then just brush the salt off them. Cheers hope this helps.
4trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 07:02 PM   #8
ruralkeeper
advanced member

Good ideas - cloves and salt. Has anyone got he Lush book, if there is one. I heard her on the radio too, impressive.

Let us all know how you go, I've had experience in the past and been so frustrated not being to get it out of quality curtains.

Just a note too that living in a damp place isn't great for health, so anything you can do to counteract that is prudent.
ruralkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 05:02 PM   #9
jeannielea
lsb member

There is a Shannon Lush book because I saw it in Whitcoulls in Taupo earlier this week. I didn't get the name though! Sorry. But google her name and you should find it.
jeannielea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 06:32 PM   #10
beedee
lsb member

Oil of cloves would make them smell nice and if you get tooth ache, then you can suck on the curtain.
SB have you done the old google search?
I hope to earn enough money so that the curtains can go to the dry cleaners this summer, esp the ones that the cats have smooched on.
Old 14th June 2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Vikingonmars
lsb member

www.curtainclean.co.nz
Vikingonmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 11:00 AM   #12
SilkyChickenBreeder
lsb member

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning mould/mildew off curtains and blinds...

http://removehousemould.co.nz/category/curtain-mould

This site sells the only curtain and blind mould cleaning product in NZ that I could find. No need to save for expensive drycleaning or take off your curtains and post them for someone to clean.

You can spray the product on while the curtain / blind is still hanging and the mould disappears in front of your eyes within a couple of minutes. You can watch a live video of the Curtain Magic Mould Remover in action.

You can use the same product to clean mould off your ceilings, walls and wallpaper. So I used the mould removing product to clean the mould on my shower walls and shower curtain, too.

I've used the curtain mould remover on all of my thermal curtains 8 months ago and they are still mould free. And I still have some of the mould cleaning product left.
SilkyChickenBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

Hey SilkyChickenBreeder, have you tried that stuff. If it's half as good as the video it pretty bloody good Eh!

Whose got 50 bucks to do a trial?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 04:51 PM   #14
SilkyChickenBreeder
lsb member

Hey Jack,

Thanks for reading my post.

Yep, I've definitely used the mould removing product on my white backed thermal curtains. In fact these crusty, mouldy curtains you see on the video are mine (yuk! I know - not something I'm proud of - but they needed to video someone's thermal curtains and I was happy to be the guinea pig). And the whole clean happened right in front of my eyes - just as you see in the video - I can guarantee that the video was not doctored at all.

The guy brought the product and sprayed it on the curtains and the mould was gone just like that.

You just need to be careful that the curtains you want cleaned have either white thermal backing, are colourfast or have white lining - because the product does have 1% bleach in it so it can bleach any non-colourfast curtains.

I wiped the treated area with a wet sponge after the application - just because I don't like the bleach smell and let them air out. And I still haven't got a spot of mould yet ... I suspect that's only a matter of time - but when that happens I'll hit it up with the curtain mould remover spray again.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:14 PM   #15
sundaysbest
Hairless Dog Advocate

Do you remember how much it cost to buy? Also, I have creamy/white coloured curtains and they don't seem to have, well I'm not sure if they have thermal backing?!? How do I tell...?? Many thanks for answering my post, I am still seeking an answeer.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:03 AM   #16
Pest Advice
lsb member

There is a non-bleach option for your curtains. NO Moss Mould Mildew works on hard surfaces inside and outside and on fabrics. The product contains Benzalkonium Chloride as the active ingredient which works by killing the moulds, mildews and spores and gives longer term protection than bleach. Bleach appears to work quickly but in fact only bleaches the staining quickly and the mould may return.

Even though this product does not contain bleach Kiwicare still recommend testing on a small inconspicuous area first to ensure that dyes in the fabric are not affected.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:09 AM   #17
beedee
lsb member

Thanks TPA, I am not sensitive to BC, so might be ideal for my probs
Old 7th July 2010, 10:05 AM   #18
SilkyChickenBreeder
lsb member

Hi sundaysbest,

I paid $50 for the curtain mould remover eight months ago. But I also got lucky and got a 4lt bottle of the outdoor mould remover for free because I volunteered my curtains for the home video when they invited curtain volunteers. That extra bottle was perfect for me because it cleaned up all the mould splatters on our bright blue cladding of our house, which had been there for decades.

I don't know whether all thermal backed curtains are the same - but I bought thermal curtain material from trademe and used it to make our curtains. That material is fabric on the one side and on the other side it looks like flexible white rubbery paint has been sprayed on the curtain fabric to make it more air tight.

My experience is that the curtain mould remover killed the mould on the back of my curtains, not just bleached it, and the removehousemould.co.nz site says that the products kill the mould and delay its return.

Hope that helps, sundaysbest.