Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 18th May 2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Liquid Amber question

Can anyone tell me if Liquid Amber trees are toxic to stock. We may be off on a wee buying trip and they are available in the sale stock.

TIA
Yakut
Old 18th May 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Re: Liquid Amber question

No, not toxic at all, and our goats find the autumn leaves quite tasty.

Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Oh good, thanks Andrea. I refuse to plant anything anywhere near the goats that may poison them, even if it is wired off, wiring off plants can be like trying to stop a flood with one used paper towel.. with a hole in it. Just when you think you've got the trees locked up safe and sound, ONE of them will find a way in..... until the tree is dead and the branches are chewed.. then they don't want to know about it, not even a guilty look from any of them.

I've said we can get up and go get them in the morning so Kim can get on with work.... she did a double take on that remark. My reputation for early mornings is non existent. References to lack of over night bladder control are made if I get up early. Bloody cheek!

Yakut
Old 20th May 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Alan Gilbert
advanced member

Just to help with any Internet searches etc., you may do - the correct spelling is "liquidambar". The phonetically obvious "liquid amber" is a very common mistake - you'll even see it in some garden centres, so you're in good company!
Alan Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Bought a twisted willow, a weeping willow, two liquidambar (thanks for the spelling) and two Pittosporums..... for a total cost of $27 !!!!! The nursery is clearing out their stock for the next lot.

Three planted, three to go.

Trying to get the first Liquidambar into the paddock and over past the hot wire to safety was a laugh. 10 goats all crowding the gate licking their lips.... so I went into the next door neighbours paddock and lifted it over the fence while the goats watched. Yakut pushed her way through the hot wires, gave a little jump when she got a belt but kept going. She was shown out of the shelter belt area! Nigella had already jumped over it twice. They don't usually bother but because I was doing something it became THE thing to do.

Second Liquidambar was planted in the same paddock along the shelter belt. I managed to grab the bag and tree and get it into the paddock without being mugged. Maybe the novelty had worn off?

The Weeping willow went into the paddock on the other side of the driveway in the lower corner. I went to check out the proposed site and blow me sideways if there weren't some mushrooms there!!!
The ground slopes down in that corner so they weren't visible until I got quite close. There's not many, a couple were wormy but I came inside with a fist-full of nice clean mushrooms.

The Twisted willow is going in the shelter belt in the back paddock so when the sun sets, the branches will stand out against the sky and look quite dramatic.

The two Pittosporums are still quite small but they are replacing the ones the pigs ring-barked in the vegetable garden so size isn't so important.

The other trees are around two to three metres tall. Good job most of the leaves had fallen off cos they came right up between the front seats.

Even though the willow is really just a stick with small branches at the top and a few determined leaves still clinging, it already looks great where it is!!!! It will look FAB!!!! when it's grown!

Yakut