Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 9th May 2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Carlton2000
lsb member

Feral Roosters How to get rid of them??

We live on a lifestyle block which is in an area of alot of other lifestyle blocks.
Sadly because we have poultry other lifestylers seem to think our place would be a good place to dump their unwanted roosters.
This has been an ongoing problem and in the past I have had a neighbour come shoot them.
Unfortunately I donot have that option anymore and yesterday some B dumped 5 young and very wild roosters off.
They are currently camping in the shelter belt and I don't want them joining any of my flock which will make getting rid of them all the more of a problem.

So any ideas on how I can dispatch them quickly?
Don't suggest I coax them anywhere further onto my property closer to my henhouse and flocks as I don't want them there and that would be the only way I can trap them IF I can coax them in.

I have tried this method on past dumpees and it made things 10 times harder to get them as they mixed with mine fighting with my cockeral, stealing hens and making get rid of them a real mission.

The dumpees are always very feral and untamed and suspicious and when I try to chase them away from my own hens I make my own scared and nervous.

SO I want to contain them around the shelter belt where they are and dispatch them there.

At this point without the shooting option the only thing I can think of is poisoning them. I know hardly humane but I am at my wits end with this happaning. No sooner do I get rid of one lot of dumpees before another lot arrives.
It is getting totally out of control.

So other than poisoning anyone got any other ideas? Shooting no longer an option as the shooter no longer available.
Carlton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 10:23 PM   #2
DiDi
lsb member

Re: Feral Roosters How to get rid of them??

Carlton if you vaguely put up where you live, someone on here may be able to locate another shooter for you. That would be the best option presumably.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Sue
Moos and clucks
Friend of LSB

How about getting some netting or shade cloth or scrim, making a funnel down which to drive them towards food and a totally enclosed capture area, pen, box, netting trap?

Throw a bit of grain etc in the vicinity of the capture pen for a few days, then drive in and close off the escape route and dispose of in the 'normal way' when driven into the pen. The pen and immediate capture area will need a roof to prevent them flying out.

Shade cloth/netting could be held up with wire, bamboo stakes, electric fence standards. We used the widest stuff as catching nets-admittedly inside a shed, but the shed was 300 feet long and 40 ft wide, so a fair area to catch birds in!
Old 9th May 2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Stikkibeek
lsb member

Easy to see how this could be a really big problem. The last thing you would want is for outside birds to bring disease to your flock. Some-one I know got so fed up with dumped roosters coming mostly from town (Not allowed roosters in town) and the noise and problems they created, that for a while he fed them and took note of where they were roosting. Then one dark night he and a neighbour, snuck up on the birds, caught the lot, and then spent the hours of darkness, dumping them all over the town. Irresponsible???

Well yes, but pretty funny, considering he knew where at least a few of the roosters had come from and oh dear! They all flew home again! Six miles!
Stikkibeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

Try the crockpot.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Carlton2000
lsb member

If they were catchable I would not even bother with a crockpot. This last lot are Game variety. Long legged skinny things which would have hardly make a meal even if catchable.

I will not try to catch them or coax them anywhere near my sheds. It would be impossible to do so without them mixing with my own flock and that is the last thing I want to do.

They are currently well away from them at the front of the property in the shelter belt and I don't want them coming any closer than they already are?

Quite apart from that they are very wild and feral. Trapping them would be extremely time consuming and I doubt I could get them all in one go.
I have tried this before with ones and twos and it was near impossible.

The shelter belt has large trees which I would imagine they are roosting in but they are very high.
I have been through getting feral roosters out of large trees before and even if you manage to get one the rest are so spooked you can never get anywhere near the rest. The others just tend to roost higher and higher and then you are stuffed.

This is why I had to resort to getting a shooter in the past.
Shooting is the best option but without a shooter I am thinking poisoning
is the next best option unless someone can suggest anything else.

I am so sick and fed up with this happaning. In the past 13 years of living here I have had at least 30 roosters dumped. Yesterday I went out for an hour to pick up a new chook house to house my overflow of youngsters to keep them contained and tame until I can move them on and imagine my horror to arrive home and find 4 newcomers in my driveway.
To say I was pissed off was an understatement.

I have homed several of the quieter roosters that have arrived but no way with this new lot and frankly I am rather over the whole situation and want a quick dispatch before they become more of a problem.

I am in North West Auckland.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:27 PM   #7
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Why don't you buy an Air Rifle and do the shooting yourself? Just a thought...

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather
GrantK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

Then go for a 12 gauge.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:39 PM   #9
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Indeed, a shotgun would be the ideal weapon, but it requires a firearms licence and some people aren't comfortable with having firearms around the house.

I have shot birds the size of chooks with my air rifle; admittedly it took a few slugs to kill the buggers but I got them sure enough, and air rifle pellets are much cheaper than shotgun shells. Once you have winged them, they can no longer fly, so their means of escape are much more limited, and the game will be up sooner rather than later.

Old 9th May 2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Carlton2000
lsb member

So no one thinks poison is an option??
With the roosters in the shelter belt right on the road frontage and with large trees and shrubs for them to hide in shooting is not an ideal option unless done by someone very experienced.

The last lot I had shot were ones I had tried to coax into pens and all I managed to do was have them join my flock.
They would not go into the hen houses at night and roosted up trees where I managed to pull one down at night but just spooked the others into going higher in the future.

Months later of trying I had to resort to getting the shooter and by that time they had stolen several of my young hens and made them spooky and suspicious too.
When we did shoot them the young hens were with them and as a result the young hens got so badly spooked that they flew off to a neighbours where they remain and are now completely feral themselves and won't even be coaxed by food.

So you can see that I donot want to coax this lot into the open to risk them joining my flock. Poisoning them in the roadside shelter belt seems feasible although I have no idea with what. As I said not very humane but desperation makes quick dispatch necessary.
I thought maybe some crushed up rat or rabbit poison added to some wheat.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Carlton2000
lsb member

Grant are you talking a slug gun sort of thing?? As you can tell I have zero experience with guns but think I could probably deal with a slug gun and not risk any passer bys
Costly thing to have to do buying one though just to get rid of other gutless peoples problems.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:58 PM   #12
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Well, I know how much poison it takes to kill a rat, and how many days they need to keep eating it before they die. Extrapolate that according to the body weight of 5 roosters, and you are looking at a helluva lot of poison, which will have to be put out for probably at least a couple of weeks, and so there is a strong possibility that you will kill unintended animals.

Shooting is by far the best option, and as Jack says, a shotgun would get the job done very quickly and efficiently. Go out at night with an assistant holding a spotlight and yourself holding the gun and you should be able to pick them off while they are roosting. Easy peasy!

Old 10th May 2010, 12:01 AM   #13
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton2000 View Post
Grant are you talking a slug gun sort of thing?? As you can tell I have zero experience with guns but think I could probably deal with a slug gun and not risk any passer bys
Yes, a "slug gun" aka Air Rifle.

SAI in Penrose have a great selection:

http://www.guns.co.nz/index.htm

IIRC, you should be able to find a suitable gun for $150 to $300.

Last edited by GrantK; 10th May 2010 at 12:09 AM..
Old 10th May 2010, 12:17 AM   #14
Carlton2000
lsb member

$ 150-300 I cannot justify spending that sort of money just to rid myself of something that I should not have had to deal with in the first place.
Yes shooting them at night I see would be a far easier option in the trees than what we did with the last lot but I really cannot justify the money to buy a gun.

This last lot are really light Old English Game types. I doubt they would even weigh as much as a rat. Where they are there are no other animals except perhaps other feral pests like rabbits or rats.

My own chooks stay around my barn which is at least 100 metres away.
I have rat and rabbit poison in my shed so I think I will just go with that
option initially and if it does not work will have to try and find a willing local with a slug gun.

What really shits me is that whoever dumped them must have had them penned to have caught them in the first place. Had they brought them to me in a box I would have been happy enough to break their necks and dispatch them on the spot. It would have saved me a huge amount of problems.

Last edited by Carlton2000; 10th May 2010 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 10th May 2010, 04:45 AM   #15
beedee
lsb member

Birds dont get poisoned by rat poison, their blood make up is different, so save yourself that money..... IF you can note where they are exactly roosting, they go back to the same place most night and I am not sure which county you are in, but it will be full of redblooded gun toting teenage peeps who would luv to come on out and get them.. You could if you are on the right side of the law, ask da boys in blue as they like to have some live practice at times..or ask a gun club, apart from the folk on here I have had ex-police, vets, doctors, farmers' sons, family... all happy to come and shoot.. and of course me with my little pop gun.
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 06:32 AM   #16
Mich
Polwarths are my Passion
Friend of LSB

Hi Carlton. IMHO trying to find someone to shoot them is a better option than poisoning, if only for the birds sakes. As has been pointed out, the dosage to kill them would need to be quite large, it would take longer and there is always the risk of killing other birds and animals that might venture unwittingly into your shelterbelt.

Beedee's suggestion of your local gun club is a good one. They may have members that live close to you that would be more than willing to come and help - that way you could build up a relationship for the next time this happens.

But I really understand your frustration with this. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers, Mich.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 06:40 AM   #17
Isla
Advanced mumbler

My local PGGW store used to have, may still do, poisoned wheat for birds. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it knocks the birds out so they are unconscious, but doesn't kill them. If you put any non-target victims safely in a warm place, they recover, but others you can then permanently dispatch. Sue, presumably this will work on poultry?

We tried whisky- (or brandy-) soaked bread on roosters once when I was a child, and it slowed them down and made them wobble, but they could still fly up into high places.
Old 10th May 2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Simkin
Chookaholic

As Isla says - there is poisoned wheat available at PGG-W. It will make poultry unconscious. You need to feed it to them on a chilly morning as it does not work when it is warm. Collect them when they lie down and break their necks.

We had an OEG x Brown Leghorn cockerel which I had hand raised. He escaped from his pen (I lifted the lid to feed them and although he had never been free ranging he just flew out) and although there were plenty of pens to feed him in - he never ever went back into such a pen, no matter how hungry he was.

At night he roosted right in the top of our highest shelter belt trees, maybe 7 or 8 metres up, in thin branches, unreachable by a human being.

In the end, after trying to recapture him for several weeks, hubby shot him which wasn't easy either. Hubby isn't such a good shot and a moving target more than 50 meters away was quite a challenge for him.

So, Carlton, I can understand your problem, especially with such birds that haven't even been raised by you. I think trying to find someone who'd like a bit of shooting practice (and the birds to take home?) is the best option. Next best option is the poison wheat. Start to feed them good wheat now so that they get used to it in a certain place. Replace with poison wheat once you got some. Hang around to collect them straight away (and any other species which you then put in a warm place where they'll recover).

Good luck. I hate people who do this. Usually they are the kind who don't want their beloved pets to end up in someone's pot
Simkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

While that poison would work well, I would urge caution in its use. All birds find it palatable and if you don't pick them up and keep them warm, the birds tend to die of hypothermia and/or shock or get predated. It could be a tui, it could be a fantail.

I know you want to kill the roosters but you have to be humane about it, and that poison is not humane to the birds you don't want to kill.

Why not ring the local air rifle club (or ask on their forum) and see if someone wants a project? If the air rifle chaps I've met are anything to go by they'd relish the challenge! It's a win-win situation, you get rid of roosters now and in future, and the air rifle chaps get target practice and the opportunity to hunt something.

Last edited by Pumpkingirl; 10th May 2010 at 09:48 AM..
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Tui don't eat wheat. Nor do Fantails. They probably wouldn't want to hang around with a load of poxy old roosters on the ground either.
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:02 AM   #21
tonic
lsb member

i would feel inclined to go with the poisoned wheat. i do not think being knocked unconscious would cause much suffering and if you are up to wringing necks then it should be over without any problems. probably less chance of suffering than being shot a couple of times...

the main birds that would also be effected would be sparrows i think.... maybe a few finches also if they are used to stealing your chicken food but we only have hungry sparrows bothering us. you could easily pick these up if you found any and put them somewhere warm if you felt like it.
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:18 AM   #22
ravenseyes
lsb member

Hi - where abouts North West Auckland - have a friend who is an experienced air gunner/pest exterminator who lives in the Waitakere's and maybe willing to come do them for you if you are around that area

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.
ravenseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:49 PM   #23
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla View Post
Tui don't eat wheat. Nor do Fantails.
That is a good point I was over-reaching in my dislike of that poison.
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 12:58 PM   #24
GrantK
Gadget Guy
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkingirl View Post
While that poison would work well, I would urge caution in its use. All birds find it palatable and if you don't pick them up and keep them warm, the birds tend to die of hypothermia and/or shock or get predated. It could be a tui, it could be a fantail.

I know you want to kill the roosters but you have to be humane about it, and that poison is not humane to the birds you don't want to kill.
We lost some of our New Hampshire Red hens to poisoned wheat, and also some Pukeko, and a wild duck. It does work, but the risk to unintended victims is so great, we are loath to use it, except as a last resort for Sparrows, Mynahs etc. The Pukeko have since grown wise to it, and won't touch it anymore, and we minimise the risk by placing it in trays on a rooftop where the chooks and ducks don't habitually go.

Old 10th May 2010, 04:15 PM   #25
Carlton2000
lsb member

I tried to give them some wheat mixed with rat poison this morning but it looks like even that is going to be harder than I thought. Getting closer to 10 metres to them sends them scattering in all directions.
I am going to try to get thier confidence a bit more. Poisoned wheat sounds like the go. I am not sure whether shooting would be much use either. They are very scatty and feral and you'd have to be a very good shot I think to get them.

I am extremely Fff'f off. These are the wildest we have had dumped and its not going to be easy.