Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 16th March 2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Xartep
lsb member

Thumbs down Cluster Flies

Apparently they have hatched !!!

I just dustbusted the daughters bedroom window sills and opened the windows so they couldn't build up again today and WOW the swarm that was in the crevasses around the windows.

Doors and windows now all open.

Is there any way to break the cycle? I know they lay their eggs in earthworms, but have also been told they hibernate in the ceiling cavities????
We have more here than we did last year, and it is slowly getting worse each year.

Any thoughts?

Pest-Advice?

Xartep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 03:07 PM   #2
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: Cluster Flies

Last night I was working in the study foolishly with the window open. When I had finished the ceiling was black with the little monsters. I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed and then shut the door and left - this morning I vacuumed up the corpses by the dozens. The windows have been shut in here today and there are more of them already on the inside of the window frames - yuk yuk yuk yuk.
2 Border collies, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk sheep and two arapawa crosses, a ram, lambs, an East Friesian lamb, 7 cats, 15 ducks , 2 roosters and 10 hens, 4 geese, 8 goats, 2 house cows, one cow, one bull calf and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Clucky
lsb member

What are cluster flies?
Clucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Xartep
lsb member

They are a type of beetle, that looks like a fly. And they all hatch at the same time and come into your house to die.

Old 16th March 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
4trees
4trees

Hi, we got them bad last year and I sprayed the house with Fendona (from Farmlands) you just need to be a little careful as it is a white solution and depending on the colour of your paint as to whether it leaves a residue. It has kept the spiders off the house for 12 months, plus it has kept the flies at bay and is just starting to run out so I will be out again to sort them. Cheers.
4trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 08:31 PM   #6
tonic
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xartep View Post
They are a type of beetle, that looks like a fly. And they all hatch at the same time and come into your house to die.

they are a species of fly rather than a beetle...

http://kiwicare.co.nz/index.cfm/1,15.../Cluster-Flies
tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Xartep
lsb member

That's interesting, I'm sure I saw something that Ruud Kleinpaste wrote that said they are a beetle.

Old 17th March 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Ugh, they make me itchy just looking at them.... The image on that website really inspires me to get a can of spray and 'get them!!!!'

The goat shelter roof can get pretty thick with flies at night but they don't cluster like that, so I don't know if they are actually cluster flies... they're bloody annoying though. If I disturb them they tend to zzzzz in a loop and try and resettle somewhere, usually my head or if I'm reaching up, my hands.... they drive me nuts!!!

I rest my head on Athenas side when I'm milking her, it's like a big hug, a really nice relaxing way to milk her, she's so good and doesn't move at all so I can shut my eyes and carry on milking without worrying about any hooves near the bucket..... until a low flying fly starts to buzz my ears and goes in for a bit of landing practice. They are really dopey and just seem insistent on landing in the same place no matter how many times you shoo it away.

I'm always a bit reluctant to use anything toxic in the goat shelter. The goats like to rub up against the wooden sides of the shelter for a scratch and I'd hate to use anything that would be dangerous. The floor in there is just the bare ground (covered in post peelings) so any washing the stuff off would just go into the ground, plus the whole thing is wooden apart from the roof so I don't really want to get it too wet.

I just pray the silly sods are clinging to the roof when a good hard frost hits.. all of a sudden, like.

I've been hearing heaps of people say there are more flies this summer.
Blardy things!!! We've had a few crane flies as well... I know they don't do any harm but they do tend to fall apart and in the thick of crane fly season I seem to be constantly wiping their body parts off the bench. Legs mostly.

Yakut
Old 18th March 2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Cate
lsb member

The house we have just moved into had been vacant for a few months and we have a swarm. I have rung the pest man and he is coming tomorrow to spray them inside and out. They are an inch deep on the windowsills in the garage
Old 22nd March 2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Pest Advice
lsb member

Hello All,

I just wrote an article on my blog (The Pest Advice) regarding cluster flies. This was prompted by more than usual enquiries about them at Ellerslie Flower Show and via phone calls from rural supplies stores and others.

I have also noticed a huge increase in searches on Google over the last fortnight and visits to a website which I manage are already greater than the peak for last year. The flies seem to be clustering a month earlier than last year and the numbers seem to be larger than last year. All this is worrying if you live with pasture or grassland around you.

I suggest being pro-active. Don't wait for the cluster flies to start clustering before spraying. If you spray your roof voids, cracks and crevices around the home and sheds now, using a residual (long lasting) surface insecticide containing permethrin or deltamethrin, you can prevent the clusters forming.

These slow moving black flies are about the size of blow flies. Their larvae feed on earthworms in grassland (lawns or pasture) before emerging as adult flies in summer. They then congregate in warm, dry dark places to try and survive winter. They seem to love, roof voids, gaps around windows, eaves, even just a dark corner of a room.

Each fly releases a pheromone (smell) that attracts other flies to the cluster. When you kill the flies, make sure to sweep them up and dispose of them in a sealed plastic bag. Also spray the area where the cluster formed. The pheromone lingers where the cluster formed and dead flies will still attract others.

And next spring use a soil insecticide around your property to kill the larvae and reduce the risk of clusters of adults next autumn.

Last edited by Pest Advice; 22nd March 2010 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: extraneous characters appeared
Pest Advice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Xartep
lsb member

Only problem I have with that is I have insulfluff in my ceiling cavity and I can't sweep of vacuum the dead flies up without taking out heaps of my insulation

Is there any way of diluting the pheromone?

Old 23rd March 2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Pest Advice
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xartep View Post
Only problem I have with that is I have insulfluff in my ceiling cavity and I can't sweep of vacuum the dead flies up without taking out heaps of my insulation

Is there any way of diluting the pheromone?
Hi Xartep,

The flies continue to release odour for a few days, so if they have been there for more than a week they are not likely to be a problem. Especially if you have sprayed the areas where the clusters had formed.

I am not sure about your chances of 'diluting the pheremone', you could try a odour neutralization spray or gel. One of the type that contain a chemical that binds with the odour molecules not a perfume that masks the odour.
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:55 AM   #13
gemini kiwi
Apprentice Goat-herder

A few weeks ago I went around the outside and sprayed that Raid outdoor surface spray all around the closed window frames, its worked well so far, we do have them because I noticed loads on the barn the other day, but none bothering me in the house. yay!!!!
GK
gemini kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:49 AM   #14
Beltie
lsb member

Just had a look at your article Pest advice - When should the lawn prills be used? we are surrounded by farmland, is there any point in using it just around the house area? does it also kill the worms that the eggs are in? thanks.
Beltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

Good program on cluster flies on National Radio today. Enjoy
Old 25th March 2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Pest Advice
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltie View Post
Just had a look at your article Pest advice - When should the lawn prills be used? we are surrounded by farmland, is there any point in using it just around the house area? does it also kill the worms that the eggs are in? thanks.
Hi Beltie,

The Lawngard Prills should be used in spring/summer when the fly larvae hatch from eggs and go in search of earthworms which they parasitise. So this is the prevenative measure.

PA
Old 25th March 2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Pest Advice
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organix View Post
Good program on cluster flies on National Radio today. Enjoy
Hi Organix,

Thanks for the heads up on the Radio NZ discussion of cluster flies and black field crickets. If anyone wants to know how to deal with black field crickets let me know.

Cheers