Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 18th January 2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Clods
lsb member

Goat with "swollen" udder

Last year I asked about my goat, whose udder was swollen on one half only, the teat getting bigger as well, but the other half stayed completely normal. She has never been pregnant. The concensus was that it was hormanal.

This year it has happened again, and bigger than usual. I realised last night that there is actually milk in there. So theoretically, I could start milking from that side? Is there any harm to not milking her?

Does this mean that if she were to fall pregnant at some time in the future, that she would have only one working half of here udder?
Old 18th January 2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Re: Goat with "swollen" udder

The only problem with milking a maiden milker who only fills up on one side is that you run the risk of a goat with a permanently lopsided udder. What you can do is try to bring milk on in the other half of her udder. If you're going to milk the full side, go through the motions on the other side for a wee while, and usually in a couple of weeks milk production will kick in.

When/if she ever gets in kid and has babies, she should fill up normally on both sides. This is a pretty common occurence in good milky lines of dairy goats.

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 07:18 AM   #3
beedee
lsb member

Ditto to what Andrea has said.. IF you watch her she probably lies on the side that is 'flat'.. and why get her preggers if the milk supply is established without such a problem.. many years ago my friend had a goat that she had been milking continuously for 3yrs with never a kid dropped.. I think the buck Mostyn Mull used to throw maiden milkers..
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 12:14 PM   #4
cowvet
lsb member

and if you are not going to milk her then best not to pfaff around with her udder. Looking for milk will open the teat canal and give bacteria opportunity to get in and cause mastitis.
If you are going to milk then go ahead and do it - i haven't a problem with that idea if she is in good condition and can handle it. But best not break that seal on the teat unless you plan on milking her.

I love animals...they're delicious
cowvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Clods
lsb member

Thanks for the advice, I am going to give it a go at milking and see what happens.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Luckys Girl
lsb member

We have a goat that has the same problem but her udder has gradually become even again without intervention over a period of 3 - 6 months. Rung vet and they said as long as she was acting normal then it was nothing to worry about.
Luckys Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Yakut
Neverending Stories

Ha, BeeDee, my grandfathers name was Mostyn! He didn't throw maiden milkers though.

Yakut
Old 19th January 2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Clods
lsb member

I milked her yesterday, and there was heaps - well considering it was just one side. Today though her udder hasn't really filled up much - and there was only a drop. But actually milking on both sides, though one side still bigger than the other. I presume the milk will build up if demanded - ie if its milked off, then more will be produced. I am not worried if it works or not - but as I got her originally because I wanted to milk goats, and make cheese, and that was put on hold when I lost her mum.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Even if it doesn't fill up all the way, go through the motions every day to bring her into milk. Good luck!

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:49 AM   #10
Clods
lsb member

I have been trying this for a while now. I am getting a very small amount of milk - probably enough to put in 2 cups of tea. What is there comes out very easily and quickly, but its not a lot. The udder is quite slack, and the small side is still small, though I can get a few little squirts out of it.

Goat is funny, as if she finishes eating before I've finished milking, she proceeds to wash me as I'm doing it.

Do you think its worth carrying on with. The goat is good, and I quite like it, but there isn't enough milk yet to do anything with.

There is no goaty taste to the milk, which I was worried about, after previous experience. But it is a bit salty. This would be OK for cheese making, but there isn't enough milk yet to make any.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:02 PM   #11
sandramiro
lsb member

Goat is washing you because she thinks you are her baby , some of my girls do that i so love it, it makes me feel special

Sandra
sandramiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:35 PM   #12
klpeters
advanced member

Oh my goodness. I never fail to be surprised at what I learn in here! A animal producing milk that hasn't had a baby. Is this occurance unique to goats or other mammals too?
I realise it's probably quite rare.
klpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeters View Post
Oh my goodness. I never fail to be surprised at what I learn in here! A animal producing milk that hasn't had a baby. Is this occurance unique to goats or other mammals too?
I realise it's probably quite rare.
It's not too rare, some breeds of goat are more likely to have maiden milkers (so I'm told).

It can happen theoretically any animal, although the examples I've heard of most have been goats (but then, I'm most interested in goats so this could be why).
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote