Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
smurfette
advanced member

Ducks with sore feet

I hope someone out there can help. One of our muscovy ducks started limping and then about a week later she wouldn't walk at all without the help of trying to fly. We separated her to another pen an eventually she came right. She was not acting or looking sick and still eating and drinking well. We thought it may have been something on the ground but all the other ducks were fine and she had no abrasions or sores on her feet, was a complete mystery. We have been told that their legs are their weekest part and we had't been catching them that way.(this was about 6 months ago) Now we have another one down and 3 more that are limping. One isn't even in the same pen as them so it can't be anything in that pen. I'm trying to give you as much info as I can think of so as to get some answers as we don't like seeing them like this. I have googled/yahood for answers but to no avail then I thought of here. Hopefully someone can help. I will answer any questions in case there's something I've missed. I'm new to this website and finding my way around it takes me a while so I hope I've got this in the right place. Thanks.
smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Kate
LSB web goddess

Re: Ducks with sore feet

Hi smurfette and welcome to lsb

I've moved this thread to 'Your Place' as that is the place to ask for help. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you.

Cheers
Kate
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
spoook
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Hi Smurfette and welcome. Hacve you come across bumblefoot?
Bumblefoot
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/38...7e72a9f0_m.jpg
Bumblefoot is caused when a bird's feet get scuffed or cut and infection sets in. The most common cause is too hard of a living surface (such as concrete). It is very common in indoor birds with poorly-sized perches or caged rats, guinea pigs and hamsters whose cages have hard surfaces. The feet pads swell and redden, and may feel warm to the touch. In all cases, antibiotics are usually recommended. In severe cases, the "bumbles" need to be opened up and cleaned, then dressed and kept dry.

Google it for further info. Good luck
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

If there are no apparent abrasions on the feet, it's not likely to be bumblefoot, which is very obvious (at least in our experience).

Are there too many males to females? This can lead to over-mating, and more than one drake on a hen, and can injure the legs rather than the feet and they do come right when the hens are separated from the drakes. I tend not to pen my ducks for this reason, as the hens can never be cornered by the drakes, but I know this isn't an ideal situation from everyone.

I don't know if this will help you, but may give you something else to consider.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:52 AM   #5
smurfette
advanced member

Thanks Spook, I was reading about that the other day but the ducks don't seem to have any swelling on feet (or joints) and no abrasions. Everything looks normal. Will be going out there later on so will do another good check. They have dirt as their base in their run and we also use wood shavings and hay which we throw out of their nests, which they like nestling in outside. At the mo everything is really wet even though we have a tarp over their run. Will get back to you later.

Last edited by smurfette; 3rd December 2009 at 08:05 AM..
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
smurfette
advanced member

HI Andrea. We were worried about that as well and have been watching, as he has a few ladies to keep him occupied and the other drakes don't seem to bother,(3 of them are still babies, but that dosen't explain the duck in the separate pen that started limping as well.(she's job sharing eggs with another muscovy, or so she thinks)
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Sue
Moos and clucks
Friend of LSB

(iii) Ducks can also tell you that they have bad legs (by sitting down, or limping) when they appear to have nothing wrong when you examine the leg. The leg also feels the normal temperature. The cause of this condition is not known. It usually takes up to three weeks for the bird to recover. Calls are more prone to this condition than swollen joints which seem more likely to affect Indian Runners and light ducks.

I found this whilst I was searching for some help, as I had a feeling that ducks were prone to a weird limping disease of unknown origin-I'll keep searching!
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Gumboot Gal
advanced member

My ducks often develop a limp especially the appleyards if they exercise too much..they are a heavy breed.I usually restrict their movement for a few days to rest them if I notice this.
My runners do not seem to get this problem .
Gumboot Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:27 PM   #9
smurfette
advanced member

Thanks heaps people.
Andrea: I've put in a reply to you but I don't see it yet.
Sue: I'm glad that some one has more resources. Hopefully that's the case.
Gumboot Gal: Our pekins/cayuga x and Khaki's don't seem to have this problem either.

Will get them altogether and put them in a separate pen and see how they go, once we do a shuffle around with the chooks.

Thanks again
Old 3rd December 2009, 03:54 PM   #10
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

One of our pekins has been doing this lately - again, no apparent reason
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Gumboot Gal
advanced member

I have this totally self opinionated theory not proven by any scientific evidence that it has something to do with the heavy ducks (in my case) straining their legs/feet due to their weight.My cayugas,and runners run..Appleyards waddle!! ) and they do not seem to cope with much running about for long.
Gumboot Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:19 PM   #12
smurfette
advanced member

I can see the logic in that opinion.lol
Old 4th December 2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

For us it's the Indian Runners come up lame, and it's usually because of the spring and autumn time mating frenzy. Often one hen gets picked out by the drakes and mated far more often than the other girls, to the extent that she'll end up with hurts legs. I've never found any cuts or abrasions to the feet, and if I keep her separate for a week or so, she comes right and stops limping.

We've never had a limping Muscovey so far, except one very old boy (I think he was about 9 when he finally died) who developed a pronounced limp when he was about 7 years old and it stayed with him till he died. I could find no source to his limp.

Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 10:33 AM   #14
BillyTheTractor
lsb member

bringing up this thread again as one of my appleyard girls is limping and I can see nothing wrong with her. Would opinion be that I separate her from the group for a wee while, they are free range so I could put her in with the chickens?

Wee Farm
BillyTheTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Nora
lsb member
Friend of LSB

I have also had several ducks at different times limp for a few weeks at a time and then completely recover. I separated one once and she got so agitated and distressed by it all that I let her out again. I just check them over for obvious problems and keep them all together if I notice it now.
Nora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:56 AM   #16
BillyTheTractor
lsb member

thanks Nora, I've checked her all over and there is nothing obvious, so maybe I'll just keep a close eye on her.

Wee Farm
Old 26th July 2010, 12:27 PM   #17
BillyTheTractor
lsb member

Still limping so I checked her again and now it appears she has a lump on her foot. I checked out google images of bumble foot and it doesn't look like any of them but I'm taking her to the vet this afternoon. Unfortunately one of the boys has just started limping today as well. They are free range and it's really all grass that they're on. They sort of live in the banana grove but it is also soft ground.
They feed free range but I also give them layer pellets and kibbled corn. Could it be a deficiency? It just seems odd that 2 are now limping.

I'll let you know what the vet says. 'Hoppy' is in a crate just now for taking to the vet but I've put her beside her pals and they are all curled up round the crate. It's very sweet.

Wee Farm
Old 13th March 2012, 06:35 AM   #18
Duchylady
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheTractor View Post
Still limping so I checked her again and now it appears she has a lump on her foot. I checked out google images of bumble foot and it doesn't look like any of them but I'm taking her to the vet this afternoon. Unfortunately one of the boys has just started limping today as well. They are free range and it's really all grass that they're on. They sort of live in the banana grove but it is also soft ground.
They feed free range but I also give them layer pellets and kibbled corn. Could it be a deficiency? It just seems odd that 2 are now limping.

I'll let you know what the vet says. 'Hoppy' is in a crate just now for taking to the vet but I've put her beside her pals and they are all curled up round the crate. It's very sweet.
I know this is an old thread but.....what did the vet say

I have a 4 month old Pekin duck that has started limping, with no apparent injuries. She free ranges with the chooks and tries to get them into her pool for a paddle. I want to stop her following the chooks all over the place but I think she will kick up a right racket
Duchylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Nora
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Duchylady, have you the capacity for another ducky friend for her?
Old 14th March 2012, 09:57 AM   #20
igor
lsb member

I have a hopalong hen, not duck, at present. I noticed her on Saturday getting around on one leg. I rolled her over for an inspection of her foot and leg and saw nothing obvious. By the look of her back she has been a favourite with the roosters. I wondered if perhaps the injury is at the hip. I have isolated her from the others and she appears bright enough and has a good healthy appetite. I think the injury is beginning to come right as she now flexes the foot a bit and attempts to walk on it whereas she did not before. Anyone have any ideas?
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Duchylady
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora View Post
Duchylady, have you the capacity for another ducky friend for her?
Hi Nora

Yes, I will get her some ducky friends. We are moving to our LSB this weekend and will sort that out for her.
We rested her a little and she seems a bit better than she was. Still eating and swimming just fine
Duchylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 08:41 AM   #22
Hawkspur
lsb member
Friend of LSB

This makes me wonder whether ducks that not only have access to swimming, but who can spend a large chunk of their time doing so, are less prone to sore feet?
They do seem to be built more for swimming than walking sometimes!
Hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 08:27 AM   #23
BillyTheTractor
lsb member

sorry , coming very late to this as I ddin't see it till now.
Vet found a wee thorn ( or something) in her foot. She managed to do a wee bit of surgery and cut it out. There was also some hard pus that she removed as well. It was all rather ew! All this while I was holding Wee Hoppy. Anyway upshot was foot got all bandaged up and we had to feed her antibiotics twice a day for - I think it was about a week. This was hysterical as we had to grind up the tiny tablet and mix it with some water then put it into a syringe and shirt it down her throat - not the easiest. However it all worked and she made a prefect recovery and doesn't limp now.
Vet said I was the only person that had brought in a sick duck!

Wee Farm
Old 16th April 2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Nora
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Well if it makes you feel any better, a vet told me the same thing. I used to use nylon bird netting to cover the top of my duckling pen to discourage them from scooting out. One day, a young drake got some of this nylon caught in his beak and after freeing him it looked like he had a cut from it across his tongue and jaw. So I took him to the vet -by the time I got him there the next morning there was nothing to see at all, so I really felt like a complete goose!
Old 16th April 2012, 01:50 PM   #25
DiDi
lsb member

OK - question from the Totally non chooky/ducky person. Do you have to have a rooster or drake? Will they not lay without one?

Just curious as I keep reading about all the hens etc being beaten up when mated (no I am not an anti farming, chook or duck person!) and have just always been curious as I am sure my Dad did not have a rooster when he had hens.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote