Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 29th November 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Current fencing cost per metre?

All materials and labour supplied, what's the current rate? Is it priced differently if done by hand or tractor etc.? Seven-wire, post and batten, boundary fence. Have to work out a cost for the 50/50 split proposal to a neighbour who wants nothing to do with the job.
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 10:43 AM   #2
FencerMan
lsb member

Re: Current fencing cost per metre?

Pick a number....lol. Maybe somewhere between $15 - $20 metre? Really depends on terrain, vehicle access, number of corners etc. You really need to ask a few fencers to come and see the job...

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'
FencerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Cool, thanks FM. Not too many fencers around up here - just the quote we've had was a little less than I'd thought it would be per metre, but in that range. The fencer is chosen on reputation, acquaintance, and belief that the guys are fair people and good fencers. And we can work with them on how much we end up getting them to do and how much we (that's the Royal we) do ourselves. Fortunately he can tractor thump far more than we thought would be possible.

Getting the money out the other end is going to be another job for the bloody Disputes Tribunal process. What a pain. You'd think a boundary 50/50 split would be straight forward, but some people, for some reason, think that they don't have to come to the party! Stock grazing both sides of the fence too. Stupid.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:14 PM   #4
OakhengeFarm
Underwater up the hill

Gee, can I hire you FencerMan? The last fence I put in a couple of months ago cost nearly $24 per metre , done by our neighbour at what I thought was "mates rates". It was done by hand, about 75 metres, including a gate.

And that was the cheapest quote we got, so we thought we got a good deal!

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...
OakhengeFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

I was interested that there didn't seem to be too much difference in price between my first fencers, who did posts by hand, and the more recent ones, who have a big red tractor. Terrain and ground condition have an influence though and for a flat straight line, I think the tractor would win. Here positioning it for each post requires lots of complex manoevring, and that slows things down.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:28 PM   #6
celt
lsb member

$15 incl here but that is definitely if tractor can be used.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Isla
Advanced mumbler

I had a figure around $25/m in mind too, but I can't remember why. Must have been a discussion in here sometime. These guys would do it at about $15/m if it was all straight tractor work, but figured it up to around $18/m because of some hand work being necessary in places. We may do that ourselves, but it still needs to be charged to the job and half of the cost covered by the other party.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
BillyTheTractor
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhengeFarm View Post
Gee, can I hire you FencerMan? The last fence I put in a couple of months ago cost nearly $24 per metre , done by our neighbour at what I thought was "mates rates". It was done by hand, about 75 metres, including a gate.

My thoughts too! ( see my other thread on fencing!) FM we have a lovely cottage - you could come stay for a week - and just give us a couple of days of your time

Wee Farm
BillyTheTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
hilldweller
...neither up nor down...
Friend of LSB

If you really think it's likely to end up at the DT, I'd imagine the most difficult thing to prove might be that the job needed to be done at all. Might be worth getting some photos of the old fence in its present state before the fencers tear into it.
Old 29th November 2009, 01:12 PM   #10
FencerMan
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTheTractor View Post
My thoughts too! ( see my other thread on fencing!) FM we have a lovely cottage - you could come stay for a week - and just give us a couple of days of your time
Where abouts in Northland? I need a holiday...haha

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'
FencerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

I used to charge labour only at 30 shillings a chain.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilldweller View Post
If you really think it's likely to end up at the DT, I'd imagine the most difficult thing to prove might be that the job needed to be done at all. Might be worth getting some photos of the old fence in its present state before the fencers tear into it.
NZ Lifestyle Block magazine, November 2009, the photo on pages 60-61. The bit propped up in the picture fell over in the last big wind!
Old 30th November 2009, 09:32 AM   #13
GloPony
Horse Hippy

We got a quote a couple of months ago for $14 per/m for 8 x wire post & batten. It's the same guys that did our boundary fences & they do an awesome job! Everything is dead straight & properly finished.
GloPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 10:03 AM   #14
jerry leadbetter
lsb member

not sure on the per metre cost - as we supplied a lot of the materials - but fencing we had done recently was $30 an hour for labour ($75 an hour with the tractor hire).

basically got a weeks worth of fencing (moving post and rails around and putting in a small yard, race, couple of gates and 50m of 7 wire batten) for $3500.

We got a leg of lamb given to us and the offer of a ram whenever we needed it too - so not a bad contact to have now either!

Considering another quote we received was for nearly $7k for the same job I was happy with that.

I think the bloke who wanted $7k saw us coming and thought - they don't know what to pay, have a nice block in a good bit of the area etc etc...can charge what I like. That or he didn't really want the job and priced himself out.
Old 30th November 2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

$17 a meter plus GST for 7 wire post and batten where I am.

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:26 PM   #16
eldenwood2
Lurker from Perth

16.95 per metre incl GST for us in Whitford - and not for flat work either! also included some digger work to even out some areas, and make a small track in one part...it was around 250 metres worth.
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:21 PM   #17
Whitford Park
lsb member

Smile Re: Current fencing cost per metre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldenwood2 View Post
16.95 per metre incl GST for us in Whitford - and not for flat work either! also included some digger work to even out some areas, and make a small track in one part...it was around 250 metres worth.
Hi there, we have just purchase 5 acres of bare land in Whitford and would like to know if you still have the contact details of the fencing contractors you used. Also due to a long settlement date on the property, the old owners left the grass to grow to waist height and its quite dry, so would like to know if you are able to recommend a crowd that can come in and tidy the land up i.e. graze stock on it, clear the weeds? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers newbies to Whitford
Whitford Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:52 PM   #18
arnie.m
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla View Post
Cool, thanks FM. Not too many fencers around up here - just the quote we've had was a little less than I'd thought it would be per metre, but in that range. The fencer is chosen on reputation, acquaintance, and belief that the guys are fair people and good fencers. And we can work with them on how much we end up getting them to do and how much we (that's the Royal we) do ourselves. Fortunately he can tractor thump far more than we thought would be possible.

Getting the money out the other end is going to be another job for the bloody Disputes Tribunal process. What a pain. You'd think a boundary 50/50 split would be straight forward, but some people, for some reason, think that they don't have to come to the party! Stock grazing both sides of the fence too. Stupid.
My STRONG advice is to get agreement in writing before you start the job as there WILL be problems if you don't. If they don't like your price tell them to get a second one in writing.
arnie.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:55 PM   #19
arnie.m
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakhengeFarm View Post

By hand these days is the most expensive, just had some quotes for a little more extensive fence and using Machinery was by far the cheapest.
arnie.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:59 PM   #20
Ruth
Formerly known as Isla

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie.m View Post
My STRONG advice is to get agreement in writing before you start the job as there WILL be problems if you don't. If they don't like your price tell them to get a second one in writing.
The problem with people dragging up long-dead posts, is that they look like new ones.

Arnie, that fence was finished two years ago. The contractors billed the other party for their half and it was paid. Lovely fence, and I've been glad of it ever since.
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:30 PM   #21
LongRidge
lsb member

Whitford Park, if you are doing boundary fences then get a written agreement with the neighbour to share costs. If they won't give a written agreement then you will need to get a court order. I think the details are in the Fencing Act. Remember that if you want to keep elephants in, and they want to keep farmed mice (or freerange mink) then you pay the part that you need, and they
pay the part they need. But if they ever run elephants next to yours, you will then be able to invoice them for half your costs).

Ruth, old posts work fine so long as they haven't been damaged by their age :-).

Last edited by LongRidge; 23rd February 2013 at 08:34 PM..
LongRidge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 03:46 PM   #22
MurrayR
advanced member

I am sitting on a quote of $16.50 per metre (gst inc) for five internal (not boundary) fences totalling 200m. All will have a larger strainer post at each end. Not using battens. Will have two fixed wires at the bottom and 3 electric wires above. Posts will be a smidge closer together than if battens were used.
We have both cattle and crazy Arapawa sheep so look at these fences as a deterrent only.
4m high sheet piling might keep the sheep in but I doubt it.
MurrayR is offline   Reply With Quote