Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 26th October 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Isla
Advanced mumbler

House-cow milking stall plans?

Imagen is about to give birth to her (I really hope) Jersey-sired heifer calf. That means that within a week or so there'll be a bucket under her udder again and we'll have real milk in the fridge for a change.

Last year we milked her wherever she stood, with a container of molasses in front of her nose, but when it rained, that wasn't very satisfactory. The other issue is that we want to be able to halter-train the calf because she's (where's the fingers-crossed icon?) the intended successor to Imagen, who's really supposed to be producing pedigree Angus calves and not being interfered with in regard to her milk production.

What set-ups do people have for their hand-milked cows?
Isla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
eelcat
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: House-cow milking stall plans?

We would love to have a little milking shed, but OH just milks our girl in the barn. She stands quite still as long as her nose is in the food. She has started swiping at the young shelter belt trees as she passes on her way to the barn so OH is talking of milking her in the paddock again.
1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees

www.martinboroughmanner.co.nz
http://martinboroughmanner.blogspot.com/
http://mycountrylife365nz.blogspot.com/
eelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 09:28 PM   #3
sod
lsb member

We dont hand milk but ours would work for that and very simple, wall inside shed make rails on an angle of 30deg out from wall most important!!!! feed bin Cow walks into shed along wall ends up in bail rope around bum then milk then back her out, to train we bring calf in put at front of bail cow follows same as above, hope this helps. eelcat ours is just lean to off shed
Old 26th October 2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Ronney
lsb member

The Americans call them stalls, we call them bails Are you wanting to use one of the outbuildings or have a purpose-built cow bail. Either way, next time your out this way bring a tape measure and paper and measure up my cow bail. Not that your going to want as anything as elaborate but the actual bail is bang on for useage and is milker friendly.

Why do you want to halter train? I have only done it once and that was by accident rather than design when I sharemilked a cow and calf in the paddock. I needed some way to restrain the calf while I milked his mother so he got a halter and rope so I could tie him to the fence. He was a Jersey bull calf and at 15 months of age I could walk him anywhere on a halter so not hard to do. Personally, I don't see the point of halter training unless showing or needing to walk them off the property via a road for some reason. If I want my cows I just yell and they come home. Some even want to ride in the Mule with me

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Going to build special new shed thing.

Halter training Bella last year was great, when Imagen was out in a big paddock and I wanted to get Bella out overnight. With a halter on her, I could lead her easily away from her 'mother'.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sod View Post
We dont hand milk but ours would work for that and very simple, wall inside shed make rails on an angle of 30deg out from wall most important!!!! feed bin Cow walks into shed along wall ends up in bail rope around bum then milk then back her out, to train we bring calf in put at front of bail cow follows same as above, hope this helps. eelcat ours is just lean to off shed
Why is the 30 so important? Plans are progressing, trying to think of everything ...
Old 29th October 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

Isla, I have a jersey house cow and milk here in a very old broken down milking shed which I have partially resurrected and it works just fine.

The dimentions are approx. 3.2 m. of wall to the head of the bale where I have a third of a plastic drum as a feed trough. Then it is 600mm wide and comes back on an angle which is 1200mm long and 800mm wide out from the wall. From there I have a little gate to get to the head of the bail and that is about 1000mm.

I hope you can figure this out because although I measured it I am not all that too sure meself.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 08:46 PM   #8
sod
lsb member

It's not just to give you an idea sorry, our cows fit in it with bin at front for goodies
Old 29th October 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Cool, thank you both. I would have liked the 30 to be vital! Then I could give orders. Oh, I'll do that anyway.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

As women do!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 09:57 PM   #11
sod
lsb member

So say it is just don't blame/name me, most men are used to it any way a Jack I will try take photo to morrow but ours is in need of lots of work at moment as bulls got in on way to their "'ride into the sun set"
Old 30th October 2009, 12:08 PM   #12
sod
lsb member

Here is a photo taken from cows eyes view

Last edited by sod; 10th August 2010 at 12:57 PM..
sod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Midge
lsb member

Isla, if I was doing it all again, I'd have a stanchion like the Americans use. A stanchion locks the cows head in above her feed tub and has side rails similar to the set-up in Sods pic.

My milking bail is great for cows trained to milk, but creates danger and excitment for cow and me when training heifers to milk.
Old 30th October 2009, 01:19 PM   #14
sod
lsb member

Just saw the pipes on the left so will show what they are and how they workzs

Last edited by sod; 10th August 2010 at 12:57 PM..
sod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 01:50 PM   #15
Isla
Advanced mumbler

Good recycling of some scaffolding?

The angle in there looks rather like that we achieve in the head-bail at the yards when we have to restrain cows to milk them.

I don't much like the idea of head-restraint, particularly for a cow which has been accustomed to being milked in the paddock with the only restraint her dependence on molasses. All these ideas are very helpful though, in helping us think through what we actually need.

I believe we may need to invest in a molasses lick ball, because Imagen has become exceptionally good at slurping up molasses far quicker than the milking is able to be done.
Old 30th October 2009, 06:39 PM   #16
max2
Lost in translation
Friend of LSB

I use the old cow shed with pit that my father in law had built many many years ago, however as the zig zag was taken out by following owners, our girls just walk up into a smaller yard that leads into a narrow alleyway (so to speak) with a crush (I think its called) at the end.

I don't lock their heads in, but the gate remains closed and have a feed crate hanging at the end where I give them a scoop or two of dairy meal with a teaspoon (shared between the mix between the two of them) of magnesium, and then watered down a little.

We were using electric leads from the house (very dangerous) however today SOH got our digger man in to dig a trench that he has laid a new power cable (someone cut the original overheads) and a replacement water line at the same time.

I will try and remember to take a photo this weekend.

it seems to work well for my purpose and single milking plant. And I mainly stay dry and its well drained (thanks Pa!).