Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 24th October 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
skyline_glenn
lsb member

what cant pigs eat?

I have just been to the local markets and have got 6 banana boxes full of fruit and trimmings. I have bananas, nectarines, oranges, plums, pumpkin, lettuce and celery trimmings. I vaugley remember celery causing mouth ulcers so will compost that, but is the rest alright even with the stones. Do I need to take the small labels off each piece of fruit? I have started but thought I would ask to maybe save a job. They have been mainly feed on bread so far so should I slowly introduce the fruit? I am aiming for morning feed of fruit and night feed of bread.

Cheers

www.freewebs.com/the-travelling-miscalls
skyline_glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
celt
lsb member

Re: what cant pigs eat?

From rearing two lots of devon large black weaners for the freezer I remember that avocado is bad, the stone and skin, and citrus can upset their stomach. I found that they were pretty smart and left stuff not keen on. Common sense says not to feed them large gluts of too much of any one fruit or veg. Oh and raw potatoes are supposed to be bad. But I have heard someone on here say that they never had any problems with the odd raw potato skin. I always picked it out.

I presume you know not to feed them cooked meats. If you can get your hands on cheap milk it is a great way to put weight on them cheaply. They do need to have something like pig tucker as well to make certain they are getting a balanced diet. Hope this helps.
Old 24th October 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
celt
lsb member

I forgot I never took off the labels on fruit but I made sure there wasn't any plastic wrap or styrofoam in it.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
skyline_glenn
lsb member

Thanks for that. We ended up taking all the labels off anyway. There were a couple of avocados in there, will have to watch for them(I took the seed out) there was also grapes, a couple of rockmelons, pears and a couple of cucumbers. We now have 8 20l buckets of fruit and lettuce to go with the bread and colostrum milk.

www.freewebs.com/the-travelling-miscalls
skyline_glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 05:03 PM   #5
The Kats Place
lsb member

I was told, raw celery, leeks, onions, parsnips, and green potato (all of these are OK cooked and I throw in a hand full of rice or pasta when I cook them up)) . also watch scraps for tea bags they are bad. pumpkin is OK but not rotting pumpkin. Mine eat avocados all the time not problems. A catcher full of grass clipping now and then especially if their area is getting a bit bare.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:09 AM   #6
kindajojo
lsb member

dont feed them cabbage in the weeks before they go to the butcher as it taints the meat.

What is wrong with cooked meat...
kindajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:13 AM   #7
LongRidge
lsb member

I understand that it is raw meat that they must not have, but cooked meat is OK. Can anyone confirm, please?
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Ronney
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRidge View Post
I understand that it is raw meat that they must not have, but cooked meat is OK. Can anyone confirm, please?

Short reply for the moment. All meat, which includes previously cooked meat in waste food, processed meat such as ham, and raw meat has to be cooked before being fed to pigs. If this is done (and it is a legal requirement) there is no reason not to feed meat to pigs.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Elkrab
lsb member

Hi there. Virgin poster, but avid reader. Planning on doing the LSB thing in Tikokino as soon as our house sells in Napier.

Anyway......i have read varying comments on feeding acorns to pigs. Some say they are a natural feed in the wild and others say they are toxic. Can anyone confirm.
Elkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 10:16 AM   #10
DrVee
Non Re-Memberer

Raw meat carries a parasite that lives in the muslce fibres and can be passed onto humans. It's actually illegal to feed raw meat to pigs in NZ.

Google 'Trichinella spiralis'

Last edited by DrVee; 26th October 2009 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Google really is my friend
DrVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Yakut
Neverending Stories

When getting dinner ready, I have a saucepan to peel the vegetables into and any other bits like leek bits, I bring this to the boil and add it to the pig tucker, water and all, then mix in a bit of cold water so it goes into a sort of porridge. Seeing as we are only looking after two small Kunekune I found that getting stuff from our friends at a local cafe was a bit of a waste of time and a hassle, cos the piggies sure don't need it, they are well covered!

I was feeding them way too much pig tucker and it was surprising how fast they put on weight.

The pig tucker has all the right things in it to keep them healthy, vitamins and minerals and they mug me for their feed bins every day.
I also found that going in every day to muck them out makes them realise that they are not going to be fed every time someone walks through the gate.

They now wander up and say hello and I give them a bit of a scratch and they wander off again and I can get on with mucking out without their help.
Same with most animals I suppose, if they only see you at feed time, you're probably going to get mugged when you do go in to them for any other reason.

If they were our pigs, I'd probably put a post in the ground, maybe with some old yard broom heads nailed to it for them to scratch on cos they love to get a good swing going with their hips and shoulders against anything that will stay still. The blissful look on their faces is hilarious.

I guess your pigs aren't pets as these ones are. These two will not be made into dinner. Life of bloody Riley! Ha ha.

Yakut
Old 26th October 2009, 12:53 PM   #12
moggy
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronney View Post
Short reply for the moment. All meat, which includes previously cooked meat in waste food, processed meat such as ham, and raw meat has to be cooked before being fed to pigs. If this is done (and it is a legal requirement) there is no reason not to feed meat to pigs.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Does that only apply to pigs raised commercially? It would be one of those laws completely impossible to police if they applied it to people with only a couple of pigs for homekill.
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Kate
LSB web goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkrab View Post
Hi there. Virgin poster, but avid reader. Planning on doing the LSB thing in Tikokino as soon as our house sells in Napier.

Anyway......i have read varying comments on feeding acorns to pigs. Some say they are a natural feed in the wild and others say they are toxic. Can anyone confirm.
Hi Elkrab and welcome to the posting side of lsb

As I understand it, acorns are not poisonous to pigs but as with all things they should part of a varied diet

Excuse my ignorance but where is Tikokino?

Cheers
Kate
Old 26th October 2009, 02:02 PM   #14
Elkrab
lsb member

Thanks Kate. Tikokino is nearly half way between Napier and Dannevirke.
Elkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 02:56 PM   #15
chicken_itis
advanced member

my pet pig (wild breed) who i just recently re homed ate what was appropriate and left what wasn't. Admittedly we fed her raw meat (whole skinned possum when the dogs had one to spare) and she loved it!!
Other foods just went in the bucket edible or not and never had a problem over the 2years i had her. She also loved eating nectarine/peach stones (crunch, crunch) and never had a problem eating them ad-lib.
Tame breeds may be different though as they may have not so strong instincts in them.
I have heard also the raw potato skins are not good, but she had them many a times by accident and nothing much happened, I still tried to avoid feeding them it though.
chicken_itis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 06:35 PM   #16
LongRidge
lsb member

Trichinosis is really nasty ..... up with hydatids ..... and has been reported in NZ, but only once. Because wild animals can transfer it, I personally would cook the possums.
I understand that pigs are the only animals that can eat acorns. Oak trees should be a noxious plant because of the number of poisonings each year.
LongRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 07:09 PM   #17
moggy
lsb member

from what i know acorns are not poisonous at all. Un paletable yes. but poisonous no. I have a recipe book including acorn pancakes
Old 26th October 2009, 08:07 PM   #18
The Kats Place
lsb member

I collect acorns for my pigs they love them
Old 26th October 2009, 10:32 PM   #19
Ronney
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggy View Post
Does that only apply to pigs raised commercially? It would be one of those laws completely impossible to police if they applied it to people with only a couple of pigs for homekill.
No Moggy, it applies to all pigs. And like all laws, you are right, it is impossible to police. However, although I personally think that many laws are an ass, this is one that I do go along with - and as a Pom, you should remember the FNM outbreak in the UK that was allegedly caused by a pig farmer feeding untreated waste food and the cause of the outbreak was the meat. We don't have FNM in NZ - yet! It isn't a question of if but when and since much of our meat is now imported and imported from countries where this disease exists, it makes sound commonsense for everybody to cook all waste meats.

[QUOTE=kindajojo;285591]dont feed them cabbage in the weeks before they go to the butcher as it taints the meat.[QUOTE]

Kindajojo, a pig is what you feed it. If you feed it apricots prior to killing it will taste of apricots, if you feed it raw fish it will taste of fish...... Another good reason to cook all food.

I cannot stress strongly enough (although it doesn't seem to get through) the importance of cooking all waste food to be feed to pigs - and it doesn't matter whether they are a commercial breed, a wild pig or a Kune, they are all pigs. There is more than one reason for doing this.

1. Cooking food will kill most bacteria and other diseases that can accumulate in waste food.

2. It makes raw and unpalatable food edible i.e. onions, parsnip, potato, celery.

3. Pigs use a lot of energy converting raw food into energy. Sounds double dutch? Well, think about it. They use up to something like one third of what they consume converting to energy so this is a huge wastage of food. When cooked the food is much easier to digest and in terms of grower pigs they will need less to grow, in terms of adult pigs they need less to maintain them.

Below I have attempted to list the foods that should and should not be fed to pigs. Most food can be fed if cooked.

Potato: Fed raw in large amounts causes toxicity and will often result in death. One or two potatoes or skins from last nights dinner preparation won't hurt them. To be safe, cook all potato which renders it quite safe for pigs.

Parsnip/Celery: While pigs will often not eat this in the raw state, some do and although it is not toxic to them it can leave lesions around the mouth similar to that of FNM disease. While this is uncomfortable for the pig it is not a disease in itself and can be remedied by cooking.

Citrus: While some pigs don't mind citrus fruit, most will spurn it and it doesn't improve with cooking. Throw it out.

Avocado: A fruit that is feed to my pigs in medium volumes but again, always cooked. I have found no realistic data that shows that it is toxic to pigs so would excercise commonsense and feed little in any one go.

Milk: Pigs love milk and it can almost be a food in itself. It is also thought to have worm inhibiting factors. However, it needs to be fed with care. Pigs that have never had milk as part of their diet need to have it watered down - I use a 50/50 ratio - and introduced gradually. Pigs can "blow their ring" (prolapsed rectum) if suddenly fed too much milk and it usually results in high vet bills or death. I can assure you it is not a pretty sight. If being fed to grower pigs, reduce the amount of milk towards killing as it is very good at putting on fat.

Tea Leaves, Tea Bags, Coffee Grounds: No nutritional value and can result in the death of the pig. They will not pass through the gut and can sit there clogging up the system.

Bones: A no-no. Large bones such as mutton shanks won't/can't be eaten and just clutter up the paddock asking for rats. Chop, fish and chicken bones have a happy knack of getting stuck in the throat or perforating the gut both of which will mean a painful death for the pig.

That's enough for one night

Cheers,
Ronnie
Old 26th October 2009, 10:46 PM   #20
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Quote:
from what i know acorns are not poisonous at all.
Oak tree leaves and acorns, especially green ones, are most definitely toxic.

Our farm veterinary practice sends out a newsletter warning farmers and lifestyle block owners every year, trying to reduce the number of callouts they get, but still they are called out to animals that have been poisoned by eating oak leaves and acorns.

I believe animals have to eat a lot of acorns, but when you think about the number of acorns that a tree can shed, it often is a lot of acorns.
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 07:34 AM   #21
moggy
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronney View Post
No Moggy, it applies to all pigs. And like all laws, you are right, it is impossible to police. However, although I personally think that many laws are an ass, this is one that I do go along with - and as a Pom, you should remember the FNM outbreak in the UK that was allegedly caused by a pig farmer feeding untreated waste food and the cause of the outbreak was the meat.
If i remember correctly the outbreak in 2001 the main cause was the horrendous conditions the animals were kept in, it spread by air and direct contact, not by food. they had had several visits from the RSCPA before it happened. The last outbreak came from a government laboratory. I think you are confusing it with BSE (aka mad cow disease) which was definitley linked to contaminated food.
Note I am not saying therefore people should feed raw meat to pigs, there are other reasons why it is not a good idea, however feeding raw meat to pigs is not likely to give them foot and mouth disease.
Old 27th October 2009, 08:00 AM   #22
Ronney
lsb member

Moggy, this is what I am referring to and I have always understood that this was the cause of the 2001 outbreak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-and-mouth_disease

I'm not too good at this pasteing business so you will have to scroll down a little way to find it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Last edited by Ronney; 27th October 2009 at 08:03 AM..
Old 27th October 2009, 08:22 AM   #23
moggy
lsb member

Yes I know the disease. It was transmitted predominantly by air and direct contact birds picking at the piled up carcases waiting to be burned were thought to be a huge contributor to it. And also one of the main criticisms were that animals in the UK were shipped great distances to be slaughtered carrying the disease a lot further than it would have done naturally. It started a campaign to have more local abbatoirs once again.
The farm where the outbreak was had had many problems with hygiene and had had many complaints made against it prior to this. They never found a definitive cause of the outbreak at the first farm, the rest was fairly obviously by air and direct contact.
I remember the outbreak very well, half the countryside was shut down, laybys were closed, wheel disinfectants were everywhere and farms banned all visitors, including even the postman.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:45 AM   #24
Shropshire Blue
advanced member

Quote:
If i remember correctly the outbreak in 2001 the main cause was the horrendous conditions the animals were kept in, it spread by air and direct contact, not by food. I think you are confusing it with BSE (aka mad cow disease) which was definitley linked to contaminated food.
Note I am not saying therefore people should feed raw meat to pigs, there are other reasons why it is not a good idea, however feeding raw meat to pigs is not likely to give them foot and mouth disease.
Taken from Wikipedia

The consensus today is that the FMD virus came from infected or contaminated meat that was part of the garbage being fed to pigs at Burnside Farm in Heddon-on-the-wall. The garbage had not been properly heat-sterilized and the virus had thus been allowed to infect the pigs. Seeing as FMD virus was apparently not present in the UK beforehand and given the import restrictions for meat from countries known to harbour FMD, it is likely that the infected meat had been illegally imported to the UK. Such imports are likely to be for the catering industry and a total ban on feeding of catering waste containing meat or meat products was introduced early in the epidemic.

An awful time for all of us in agriculture and one I wish I never see repeated anywhere.

We are about to get some weaners and will not be feeding them any meat at all.
Shropshire Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 11:05 AM   #25
moggy
lsb member

As i said previously the action of feeding meat to a pig will not give it FMD, no more than feeding beef to a human will give you BSE. For either of those to occur, the disease first has to be present in the food. (please don't anyone quote that first sentence out of context). As NZ does not have FMD, chucking dead fido or a possum over the fence is not going to give the pig FMD. I am not saying feeding fido to the pig is a good idea, but it will not give it FMD in NZ Similarly eating beef in NZ is not likely to give you BSE.

It should be noted that cats and dogs can get FMD, but we still give them raw meat.
The epidemic (NB, I mean specifically the rapid spread and the resultant devastation it caused), was not caused by contaminated food. With the exception of the first farm, there were no suggestions that any ainmals had been fed anything dodgy. There was a catalogue of factors at that first farm to do with animal welfare. Their food had been illegally imported for a start, it was not as if they were acting within the law to begin with. Locally the farm investigation featured a lot on the news and it went into alot more detail that is available on the net.

It is the same with any animal food, if you know the company selling it is reputable, then the food you buy should also be fine. If you go around randomly getting food from dodgy suppliers who import illegally what do you expect? Besides, even if you picked up some dodgy meat from a blackmarket supplier, if you handled the meat whilst processing it and it was infected with FMD, you would probably transmit it to your animals on contact due to the virulent nature of the disease. So cooking it would not get rid of the risk. (Of course it gets rid of the risk of other pathogens though)

I am all for food safety, but I think people should know the correct reasons behind the laws