Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 8th September 2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Jan
multi tasker whizz

Unhappy Ouch just got stabbed by a Canary Island Date Palm

About 4pm today i managed to stab myself with one of those short but very sharp spines off our Canary Island Date Palm. We has been pruning in the weekend and hadn't got around to shifting them from the ground.

It got me in the lower leg and boy did it spurt and pump out the blood..managed to stop it with pressure but ooh its sore.

A friend mentioned that they can be poisonous and i should get it looked at. But i felt silly going to A&E with a tiny puncture wound. Guess i will see how it is tomorrow.

But my question is...is it poisonous or is it just like any other twig or stick that may poke you. Not sure how far it went in as i couldnt see which one is spiked...to many..

Im not 100% sure its a Canary Island Date Palm but some sort of Phoenix with short very sharp spikes!

Old 8th September 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
GloPony
Horse Hippy

Re: Ouch just got stabbed by a Canary Island Date Palm

Go! Yes, they are poisonous & yes, don't they hurt like heck?!

My mum had one stab into her lower leg & it ended up causing a melignant tumour which she had to have cut out, so yes, they can be as awful as they feel.
GloPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Jan
multi tasker whizz

oooh now you have me worried...ok visist to doc tomorrow i guess..eek

Old 8th September 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Jan, get it checked out. I know this plant as Phoenix palm, and its a nasty one. There is a risk of a bit broken off in the wound that can go septic...

From a medical journal article relating to injuries to kids admitted to Starship over a five year period:

Results: Of 250 patients admitted with foreign body injuries, 21 cases were identified as caused by the Phoenix date palm. The age range was 5 to 12 years. There was a median delay of 43 days between the time of injury and presentation to hospital. An average of 1.3 operations were performed on each patient. Ultrasound was used in 12 cases, foreign body was identified in 10 patients— a sensitivity of 83%. Intraoperative ultrasound was also found to be beneficial in three of these cases.
Conclusions: Phoenix date palm injuries often have a protracted course. The initial diagnosis and treatment of such injuries is often delayed. Fracturing and fragmentation of the barbs may occur and multiple surgical procedures may be required to remove all of the foreign material. The Phoenix date palm barbs may cause a severe tissue reaction with sterile granulomatous synovitis and bony pseudo-tumour formation. A high level of suspicion on history taking and surgical exploration is needed. Total synovectomy for delayed joint or tendon sheath involvement may be required when fragmentation has occurred. Ultrasound has higher sensitivity for detection of thorn foreign bodies than magnetic resonance imaging.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Sorry to scare you, but I had a similar injury as a child from falling onto a bamboo spike in a lawn that broke off in my upper leg and had to be removed two weeks later by minor surgery once they realised the spike was still in there and was moving up my leg. I still have the scar and the wound was very painful...

I've not heard of it being poisonous per se, but any infection is from the spike itself...hopefully if it bled a bit it cleared it out but still, get it checked sooner rather than later.

I have another reason to dislike this species, as it is starting to go weedy (already has in some areas).

Last edited by reggit; 8th September 2009 at 08:28 PM..
reggit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
4trees
4trees

Hi, Our daughter was working for the local counil and got a spike in her finger, it went black within about 24 hours and was very painful. Had to get it cut out in the finish next day. That was more painful than the spike going in. cheers & good luck.
4trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Jan
multi tasker whizz

Im pretty sure nothing got left behind in my leg, im sure the blood would have washed it away the way it spurted...so fingers crossed i will be ok....

Old 9th September 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Louise W
Crazy Horse Lady
Friend of LSB

Location: Talisman Farm Sport Horses, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand.

How's your leg today Jan???

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK
Louise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Jan
multi tasker whizz

well i saw a nurse at the local docs and she had a prod and a poke. She was pretty sure there was no foreign bodies in it, i got a tetanus jab (was due anyway), some ointment stuff slapped on it and was on my way... but she did say that if it did start to get infected pop back it...

But it is a bit sore still and bruising is coming up, also a wee lump but thats to be expected I think, the way it spurted out the blood. So i recon i have been very lucky..phew Fingers still crossed and im watching the area carefully.

Old 9th September 2009, 08:32 PM   #9
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Good on you for getting it checked, Jan. Best be safe than sorry
Old 9th September 2009, 10:17 PM   #10
GloPony
Horse Hippy

It's amazing how much they bruise eh!

Good on you for getting onto it quickly.
GloPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

I got one in my arm once. It took 3 opperations over several weeks before it started to come right. Keep an eye on that lump cos that is how mine developed. The amount of bloody has nothing to do with what went inside as just tiny minute bits can come off and lodge in you meat to cause severe reactions later.

Yes, Bloody hurts alright.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Kiwi303
LSB's Token Mad Gunman

My youngest sister got a piece of phenoix palm in her foot once, stubbed her foot on a fallen frond of one of the big trees at Raglan beach, it went in between the toes and ended up being surgically removed from the tendon channel back in the instep