Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 4th April 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Neverathome stayhomemum
advanced member

Question anybody growing bok choi?

I'm wanting to grow some for chinese stirfry... Am I too late to plant the seeds in the tunnel house?

And I've found Pak Choi and Bok choi - what is the difference?

Thanks.
Neverathome stayhomemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Andrea
Herd Queen
Friend of LSB

Re: anybody growing bok choi?

I don't think there is a difference. I think for down there it may be a little late, unless your tunnel house is considerably warmer than outdoors, to get the seeds sprouted. It does develop pretty quickly for us in early spring, and can survive frosts once it gets going. Can you start the seeds indoors to speed things up a little?

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 09:18 PM   #3
NZ Appaloosas
Bringing Waps to NZ

From wikipedia:
  • Bok Choy (白菜); succulent, white stems with dark green leaves and Baby Bok Choy; succulent, pale green stems with leaves the same color; both quite common in US West Coast oriental markets.
  • Choy Sum (Chinese: 菜心; pinyin: c*ixīn; literally "vegetable heart"; Hokkien chai sim): also called yu cai (Chinese: 油菜; pinyin: yoú c*i; literally "oil vegetable"), this brassica refers to a small, delicate version of pak choi. In appearance it is more similar to rapini or broccoli rabe, than the typical pak choi. In English, it can also be called "Flowering Chinese Cabbbage" due to the yellow flowers that comes with this particular vegetable. "Choy sum" is sometimes used to describe the stem of any Chinese cabbage or the heart of Shanghai pak choi.
  • Shanghai Pak Choi (Chinese: 上海白菜; pinyin: Sh*nghǎi báic*i; Japanese: 青梗菜, chingensai) refers to dark green varieties where the varioles are also green. It is probably the most common vegetable in Shanghai, where it is simply called qingcai (青菜; literally "blue/green vegetable") or qingjiangcai (青江菜; literally "blue/green river vegetable").

Diane

NZ Appaloosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Neverathome stayhomemum
advanced member

Wow Diane! That sorts it out!

Yep Andrea, I'll start them inside and then transplant them.
Old 4th April 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Hasbeen
Churned not stired

I bought a 6 pack of Asian stir fry at Mitre 10 & they are going well in a couple of tires with a few sheep pellets. I felt it was a bit late for seed.

Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Neverathome stayhomemum
advanced member

Finally got to Mitre 10 today, and yay, they have 6 packs of bok choy! So I'll plant that tomorrow, and brought some seeds too so shall give them a go.

It's my first winter with the tunnel house so I'm interested to see how late I can plant and still get some produce.

Thanks.