Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 11th February 2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Kate
LSB web goddess

Question Wormery

I've received an email...

Quote:
I was hoping you may be able to point me in the direction of where I could buy a wormery. I've searched the net but to no avail. Any advice would be great as I'm new to NZ and haven't quite fathomed which stores sell what.
I would suggest somewhere like Mitre10 as a first port of call...does anyone have a better idea?

Cheers
Kate
Old 11th February 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
spoook
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: Wormery

The Warehouse also had them. Even TM has them now and again.

Geez, good old Google......... look here
Old 11th February 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Neverathome stayhomemum
advanced member

Ain't Google great! And I can recommend the Can'o'worms... very easy to use and drain.
Neverathome stayhomemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 09:29 AM   #4
earthgirl
advanced member

The ones at the Warehouse do not have the tap in the bottom so are harder to drain, but they are much, much cheaper- about 39.99 (and they work fine, we have one). The rounder ones with the tap in the bottom layer for easy drainage can be bought at Bunnings for around 100 dollars. At Mitre 10, the exact same one is 47 dollars more again.
earthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 09:49 AM   #5
bridgierapa
lsb member

A friend of mine cunningly uses old baths which she has up on frames, and she gathers the juice from the plughole. I don't know for sure but I imagine she sweeps new stuff to one end to move the worms, gathers old castings from the other end for fertiliser... I just bought an old bath off trademe for my raspberries, for $10. Would be cheaper, and larger. The worm farm I bought years ago from Mitre 10 worked: but I ended up firing the lot in the compost bin where they seemed to live happily ever after, simply because keeping the acidity in the worm farm correct was proving too much for me.
bridgierapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 07:58 PM   #6
UsBlacksheep
advanced member

We bought a "Can-O'Worms" -round with tap and 4 layers from Bunnings for $129.95 A good deal normally around $150 or for $160 you can get that same one with worms from the recycling shop/dump in Ashburton-They give you heaps of advice and plenty of things to read....They have several different types set up as well..Perhaps they have something similar where you live??
UsBlacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 06:27 AM   #7
dinnaefash
advanced member

Some garden centres have them, too - I saw them at the Airport garden centre (Hamilton).
dinnaefash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 08:49 AM   #8
The Kats Place
lsb member

What area? the airport garden centre in Hamilton had worm farms for sale and the worms to go in them. I just used an old bath.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:17 PM   #9
jen
lsb member

The term worm farm would probably work better in the NZ search Maybe wormery wasn't turning anything up cause its not commonly used here
Old 14th February 2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Hasbeen
Churned not stired

Wow those things sound a bit pricey to me.
I made mine out of an old 44 gallon plastic drum that had a hole in it, so would have got it for nothing.
Laid it on it's side with the hole up & one of the bungs down, then cut a foot wide strip out; mounted the drum high enough to get a 30L container under the outlet --put a small mesh bag full of chip gravel in the outlet, made a lid for it & it was all go.

I have had over 60L of worm tea this season

The worm farm must be shaded & kept cool or you will end up with cooked worms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gdn2 009.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1932  

Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Westie
lsb member

I have a worm farm that is really doing well, but I want to add my doggie doos to it. Having 2 Bullmastiffs is a lot of doo, so I am worried about overloading the farm.
I estimate a 10L bucket of doo every month to 3 weeks
Which seems like a lot for the Can-O-Worms farm that I have. I will try smaller amounts first, say 20% of the volume that I put in there every month will be doo.
Should I put it in fresh, or leave it for a few days, then put it in?
I just don't want to damage an already good thing, but it is such a large reasource going to, erm... waste.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 08:30 AM   #12
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

If they have an Environment Centre nearby, they will probably find they are selling them also.

The Can o Worms ones are good as you can use them inside/in garage/under carport/in shed and (relatively) easily moveable...
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:33 AM   #13
sod
lsb member

Westie love your road marker sign will never look at one the same again
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
I have a worm farm that is really doing well, but I want to add my doggie doos to it. Having 2 Bullmastiffs is a lot of doo, so I am worried about overloading the farm.
I estimate a 10L bucket of doo every month to 3 weeks
I would be hesitant to put that much dog doo in a worm farm. Firstly the use of carnivores faeces is a potential health concern, apart from the smell aspect. Secondly, if you are regularly worming your dogs do not put the poo in the worm farm for some days after treatment as the worm killer will have a similar effect on your earthworms.

If the amount of dog poo is a problem perhaps drop it down the septic tank vent
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:45 PM   #15
Westie
lsb member

Good point about the worming. Have researched about that and no doo's for 2-3 days after worming.
The info I can find does not say how much, or what % can be doo
I will try a little bit to start with. Have to be careful, as I don't want to upset what is a very good worm farm, but being just me and my kitchen green waste is not really enough to keep the cute little wormies going. Sometime I nick some 'off' vegies from the rubbish bins at the fruit shop to tide them over
The quantity of doo is not really a problem, I just want to try and make use of at least some of it. They eat a fair bit, it would be nice to get something usable back.

Quote:
sod
Westie love your road marker sign will never look at one the same again
It was a car club I used to belong to in West Auckland, now disbanded. That was our T-shirt logo.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Hasbeen
Churned not stired

I do the dog-do-shuffle every few days & understand how you feel; but I would not put dog droppings into any compost that I was planning to eat food from.
I mix our dog's endless supply with wood ash & place it in the collection drum.

Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 09:14 AM   #17
rlmrdl
advanced member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie View Post
I have a worm farm that is really doing well, but I want to add my doggie doos to it.
We've processed our dog poop through a worm farm for years and it works well, but the secret is not to give them anything else to eat. Just the dog poop.

Also, don't put the poop in for about 3 days after worming the dpogs or you will kill the worms in the farm as well.
rlmrdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:52 PM   #18
Westie
lsb member

While I was doing a bit of net study about doos and worm farms, an Aussie council website about worm farming also suggested you can put dog hair in your farm

It was the only place I came accross that suggested that one. After careful consideration I made the choice not to try doos on my lovely wormies, not wanting to mess with a good thing. But dog hair, that couldn't hurt to try. Even if they don't eat it, it will just be fibres in the castings.
So two weeks ago a good handfull was placed in a corner.. went to check on it today and there was only a bit left.
I couldn't see any worms in the area that it was but at least 70% has dissapeared. Will keep a further eye on it and see if it gets completely absorbed before adding any more.
Not that I really need to add any but I do like to give the worms as much variety as I can and was interested to see if they would actually eat it. The jury is hung over that for now, have to wait a bit longer to know for sure.
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:49 AM   #19
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

I had a friend years back who farmed worms commercially. A couple of the potential wormery additions he used were human hair clippings (beware dyes and shampoos) and coffee grounds.
One problem he did have however was with citrus skins which attracted colonies of a type of mite that appeared to generate a repellant substance for the worms
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:10 AM   #20
Westie
lsb member

Human hair would be risky, shampoos and dyes as you say Organix, but my dogs are au natural

Interesting what you can actually put in there. And what you can't.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:52 PM   #21
blimeyvicki
lsb member

Apparently you can empty the contents of your vacuum cleaner into the worm farm as well!! Along with shredded paper, cardboard, veges etc. No citrus, onion or garlic I think.
For dog poop I am planning to put in a small septic tank for our dog! Cut the bottom out of a bucket with a lid and bury it in the garden with just the lid showing. Put in poop and add some "septic Starter", same that you use in your own septic tank to start the process off. Then just keep adding your poop! I love this idea, but it is strongly recommended that you only use it in an ornamental garden, not an edible one!! I geuss the praciticality of that would depend on how many dogs you have as well - our small med sized dog should not be a problem.
blimeyvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Stikkibeek
lsb member

Blimeyvicki wrote
Quote:
For dog poop I am planning to put in a small septic tank for our dog! Cut the bottom out of a bucket with a lid and bury it in the garden with just the lid showing. Put in poop and add some "septic Starter", same that you use in your own septic tank to start the process off. Then just keep adding your poop!
I've seen something similar to this on an English gardening programme. If I remember rightly, they had a deeper hole than the bucket, but it was cut in such a way that the bucket fitted snugly in the top. Lid kept the flies and rainwater out and a variety of worms did the breaking down. If this system eventually got filled up, there is potential to dig another hole, back fill the existing one and plant an ornamental on top. Dogs can be changed to a vegetarian based diet, which might make the disposal of their waste easier to deal with.
Stikkibeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 09:25 AM   #23
jen
lsb member

I have a bagless vacuum and I dump the 'collection' in my worm farm after wetting it in a bucket first (unless your farm is already too wet, then turn it through to dry the mix out a bit). This has dust and wool and cat hair and it goves the worm castings a good texture (keeps it lighter and more friable). Of course you wouldn't want to di this is you had a synthetic carpet or used any sort of deodorisers or whatnot...
Old 31st May 2010, 09:58 PM   #24
Stikkibeek
lsb member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
Wow those things sound a bit pricey to me.
I made mine out of an old 44 gallon plastic drum that had a hole in it, so would have got it for nothing.
Laid it on it's side with the hole up & one of the bungs down, then cut a foot wide strip out; mounted the drum high enough to get a 30L container under the outlet --put a small mesh bag full of chip gravel in the outlet, made a lid for it & it was all go.

I have had over 60L of worm tea this season

The worm farm must be shaded & kept cool or you will end up with cooked worms
Hasbeen, I'm interested in further comment about your worm farm. I have just constructed a worm farm from a plastic drum and last week OH made a cradle for it to sit on. I presume you made the mesh bag to stop the worms from escaping, but I have some questions that need answering.

1. What do you do for ventilation.
2. did you make a lid out of the off-cut from the side, which is what i have done.
3. Do you have trouble with flooding in the bottom of the barrel, given there's 15cm of undrainable space
4. Have you harvested any worm casts from the barrel.

I have two can-o-worms going at present, but find that they get too heavy to lift the trays out of, and the legs collapsed as did the taps, so they are not so very well constructed where it counts. Their best advantage is I can regather worms that I tip out with the castings, by putting a bin on the pile of castings, with food in it. They quickly crawl back inside.
Stikkibeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:16 PM   #25
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

I saw a worm farm that was in one of the free local papers down here. I think it was on our local Councils pages.

It had a small bit of corogated iron resting on a sloping block foundation so that the slop ran down the corogations and a bit of old spouting to collect the worm pee. On the iron they simply had 4 old car tyres of even size and the rims of the tyres stuffed with newspaper.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote