Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 5th February 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
moggy
lsb member

Killing agapanthus - a solution at last

Having bent the garden fork, failed with a trowel, only marginly slowed down growth with the weedeater and not had any impact with weedkiller

finally we have a solution
Take the axe you use to chop firewood with to it. The result? - One massive clump gone in about 5 mins
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
DiDi
lsb member

Re: Killing agapanthus - a solution at last

moggy - I have killed it with Tordon Brushkiller and quite huge clumps at that with only one revisit. Especially good on the smaller plants which I hit all along the road in front of my property. I had mixed it at 25ml to 10 litres (same as for gorse) plus sticker, using a backpack type sprayer. Council road guys put me on to that.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
maggies mum

Watch those little bits of root still in the ground! They are the Captain Scarlett of plants and they will grow back!

Spray the hole too as a back up!
Old 5th February 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
moggy
lsb member

The little shoots I am not too bothered about, I don't dislike the plant, just this clump was HUGE and taking over the border. I will quite happily have small clumps and as long as I keep pulling out new shoots, they are quite easy to maintain (this clump was out of control long before I lived here)
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Yakut
Neverending Stories

One of our ex neighbours kindly planted them up the shared driveway

I hate them. They are messy slug and snail motels and are just plain ugly. If they all dropped dead tomorrow, I'd be cheering my head orf!

There was nowt but the odd ill looking weed before and now we have the mass slowly growing like triffods and taking over. In fact, since the other neighbour left and tenants moved in, out driveway is starting to look like a green tunnel and the side lawn has disappeared under the hedge, wild chooks running about everywhere from another half witted neighbour.....

The new neighbours have had to fork out for someone to come and cut another neighbours piece of the grass verge up the driveway.... it's going to pot!

I suppose I could sneak out there under cover of darkness and accidentaly spray these blasted aggies.

It was lovely of her to plant these blessed things just before they moved... kind of like leaving an annoying legacy. They'd been there for quite a few years and not bothered with that strip at all.......

New neighbours moved in further down the road and 'her indoors' decided to poison and cut out the 30 year old ivy growing on a lampost quite a distance from her house.. she can't even see that lampost from her house.
That ticked off a lot of locals.

I though aggies were being considered a pest by MAF or someone? They'd get my vote!

Yakut
Old 5th February 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Birman Babe
Blue-eyed Bita Fluff

We have a few still in our driveway but I intend to leave them ~ I actually dont mind them as long as they are under control.
Old 5th February 2009, 08:54 PM   #7
The Kats Place
lsb member

I got a whole bank of them free when we bought the block and I would need a digger and a ton of money to get them out and replant the area, plus a fence would have to be moved to do the work. I do dead head them before they go to seed. I agree with BB ok in small doses and under control.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:34 PM   #8
edster951
lsb member

My wifey is planting them, she got about 10 from one plant.....
edster951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Birman Babe
Blue-eyed Bita Fluff

I find them really attractive amongst grasses, cordylines & the like.
As long as you dont let them get out of control and dead head them like TKP says I dont see whats wrong with having them.