Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 25th January 2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Catfan
advanced member

Question "Hitman" - Organic Weed Killer

Just wondering if anyone has used this for their weed control? It's an off-shoot of the "Wet & Forget" brand apparently. Very good friends of ours (who have a lifestyle block & run a few sheep & a goat) have recommended this stuff to us. Sounds great from what they have told us - apparently just spray on and - literally - the thistles wilt and die after about 20 minutes or so (and I'm absolutely certain they are not being paid for endorsing the product! ). From their point of view it seems to be great. I would just like to know: 1): Has anyone used the product and what do they think of it? and 2): We have alpacas and would be using the stuff to kill thistles/weeds etc in their paddocks. Are there any drawbacks to using this stuff with alpacas? The main ingredient apparently is coconut palm oil whic seems very innocuous, but... ... ....(?) I've googled it and "alpacas" together and got zip, nadda, nil, zilch results for both. So, safe to use for my 'pacas or what?
Old 25th January 2009, 07:32 PM   #2
DiDi
lsb member

Re: "Hitman" - Organic Weed Killer

As long as they don't have high cholesterol! No idea but we have had threads that have indicated that organic is not necessarily organic so if that is a priority, then maybe further research. If no "additive" in the ingredients that you don't understand, then I'd expect it is fine.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will be along. You could always ring the Company and ask them and if they hesitate then think twice.
DiDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Catfan
advanced member

Oh bugger - never thought about their cholesterol DiDi but a good point with all that palm oil. Although they're so spoilt anyway a bit of palm oil wouldn't do that much damage I'm sure! Organic is preferable but not necessarily a priority. Just making sure me animlals are ok is the main priority (and if the stuff works it would be a nice bonus!).
Old 25th January 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Dream Weaver

I have heard it is very good. They have a webbsite so maybe email and ask about the coconut thing with animals, I am sure they will be able to advise. Their wet n forget is brilliant to.
Dream Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
forestq1
advanced member

Hitman knocks the weeds back pretty quick, and is quite satisfying to see the results so quickly. that said we find about 5-6 weeks later they are all growing again. Compared to say roundup where you have to wait 3-4 weeks to see any progress and then they stay knocked back for longer.

Roundup is not so organic however !
forestq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 10:15 AM   #6
sundaysbest
Hairless Dog Advocate

And I assume you will use it to spot spray - as it will kill off grasses too!
A friend of mine by accident did a broadcast spray of buttercups and within an hour literally an hour the grasses and b/cups were wilting!!! EEK! Lucky she noticed before she coated her farm!!!
Sundays
sundaysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 10:26 AM   #7
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

No matter what you use there are always environmental consequences to consider, and things which may seem on the surface to be green may not be so green in origins...so worth checking out.

With Hitman (or other products containing palm oil that claim to be 'environmentally friendly'), it seems that claim is only about the NZ environment. In the countries of origin, however, palm oil production is causing deforestation of tropical areas and destruction of ecosystems...

Check out http://www.newscientist.com/article/...Id=earth_rss20 and if you want any more info, google 'palm oil environment' and settle down to some serious reading! Palm oil is a major ingredient in cosmetics, cleaning liquids, soaps etc etc...but there are alternatives available for all these things that don't contain palm oil, apparently.

Farmers argue that the palm kernel they get is just a by-product of the main palm oil industry so fingers shouldn't be pointed at them. Eh? It all supports the main industry which is unsustainable in these countries overseas Surely farming in NZ should be able to be maintained from NZ grown materials - it not, then there is an issue of sustainability here at the current levels, let alone if growth is wanted.

Sorry, digressed a bit (a lot!) but all this stuff is interdependent .

Last edited by reggit; 26th January 2009 at 10:36 AM..
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 11:20 AM   #8
OakhengeFarm
Underwater up the hill

We were discussing this in my last Hort. class. Apparently the stuff works by suffocating the plant - hence the high speed knock-down. Unfortunately, it's not a translocator (see - I've been learning!), which means it kills only the parts of the plant it touches, and won't travel through the plant to kill the roots (like Roundup). In many weeds, suffocation does mean death, but won't work for long with creepers like kikuyu or creeping buttercup. A woman in our class used it on Wandering Jew - the bits she touched died within minutes, but the plant just kept on keeping on and threw out different shoots to compensate.

Depending on what weeds you want to kill, it might work fine, but in most cases, you're wasting your time. There are a few variations on this "killer oil", and Hitman is one of the more expensive, so if you're still convinced, shop around for better prices.

As for organic, I suppose it isn't a poison as such, but don't get me started on how sustainable the production is! And what chemicals are used in the growing, extracting etc? I can't imagine it will ever get Bio-Gro approval.

Oh, and uncountable wild birds - including fantails, swallows, yellowhammers, morepork, magpies, hawks, pukekos, and even quaill, pheasants and rainbow lorikeets Not to mention possums, hares, rabbits, rats...
OakhengeFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 08:09 PM   #9
cantyguy
lsb member

Sounds like organic interceptor, gives short term control.
cantyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 08:39 PM   #10
granny56r
Purveyer of Fine Chooks
Friend of LSB

I think it is the same product as interceptor which has been around for 10 years approx.
Old 26th January 2009, 09:30 PM   #11
dinnaefash
advanced member

Have had it before, and I thought the main ingredient was actually salt. That has a bunch of other issues, ie poisoning the land with salt (though maybe that's not the case if you are spot spraying??). I'd be happy to use it on a path or driveway, but not in a paddock...
dinnaefash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2009, 10:57 PM   #12
Ronney
lsb member

When I read this thread earlier in the day (before Oakhenge's post) it ran through my mind that I have the same reaction when I rinse the pig buckets out and throw the washings in the same place in the paddock - the fat from the milk eventually smothers and kills the grass and whatever else is growing there. The same thing occurs when I'm bucketing milk out of the drums into the pig bucket. There is spillage and it kills the grass. In both cases, withing 6 weeks the grass is back better and stronger than it was before because I've also manured the earth. Oakhenge's post would seem to bear that out. Throwing palm oil at your weeds is about as sustainable as throwing milk at them and about as effective.

Dinnaefash, if you look at the ingredients of something such as glyphosphate, the main ingredient is isopropylemine salt.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Ronney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 11:47 AM   #13
eldenwood2
Lurker from Perth

MMM I have this product and yes it does kill really fast - however we think it STINKS! I used it out the front of our house on the bark garden etc it worked quickly but we found it reeked for ages (like days) - so don't think the 'pacas would be particularly keen on eating it - or near it for that matter ( might be just us though?)
eldenwood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 11:51 AM   #14
reggit
lsb member
Friend of LSB

I imagine that the smell issue would be the same as with using unfiltered grey water on gardens...after a while there is a build up of the greases and soaps etc and it can be quite unpleasant
Old 27th January 2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

It is great for instant results but it just kills what is above the ground and not the roots below it and I agree it stinks!
Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 01:32 PM   #16
Catfan
advanced member

Mmmmm. Lots to think about there then. Think we will hold fire with getting the product and will have a look round and see what else is available. Would like something organic, that kills down to the roots and kills the weeds completely (or stops their growth for a long period), and is animal friendly. Yeah - I know - I'm dreaming! Will keep looking anyway and if I find something that seems halfway good, I'll let you know.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Rod Brown
Focused not multi-tasker!

I agree with others, it has a fast knock down (less than 2 hours) but it is not successful at long term kill. I don't mind the coconut smell!
Old 28th January 2009, 10:12 AM   #18
sod
lsb member

Thanks for asking question we have been thinking about useing it for a while but knew nothing about it
Old 29th January 2009, 10:12 AM   #19
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestq1 View Post
Roundup is not so organic however !
Round Up is not organic period!

Hitman is coconut oil based and works in the same way as Interceptor (which is pine oil based and much more expensive due to differing dilution rates) by rupturing the surface cell walls and causing the plant to dehydrate rapidly. Plants with a significant root structure (e.g. docks, kikuyu, Californian thistle) will recover by drawing on their root reserve but lawn grasses and the like will die.

I have found it works well on paving areas but strong weeds and dormant seeds will regrow within weeks. Smell is like rancid oil and soon dissipates.

Check before use if you are Cert. Organic as use may be restricted or prohibited by your certifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestq1 View Post
Mmmmm. Lots to think about there then. Think we will hold fire with getting the product and will have a look round and see what else is available. Would like something organic, that kills down to the roots and kills the weeds completely (or stops their growth for a long period), and is animal friendly. Yeah - I know - I'm dreaming! Will keep looking anyway and if I find something that seems halfway good, I'll let you know.
Anything organic definitely won't be systemic.
Old 29th January 2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Cinsara
Slave to the Critters
Friend of LSB

Roundup can be grazed basically as soon as the plant is dry.
Cinsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 02:43 PM   #21
Henry
advanced member

Interesting thread. I am shopping for some weedkiller along my fenceline but I am worried that my animals will be stupid enough to graze on it. All my animals like to hang around the fence and I just want to be doubly sure how long I have to keep them away after spraying. I wonder If hitman is non toxic? I do want something with residual control though. What do you guys do? How long do you wait before letting the animal graze, if one uses those long term roundup formulation?
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:16 PM   #22
E.F Barry
advanced member

Was talking to a friend tonight and Hitman came up in discusion, he swears by it and can be purchased thru the net same place as Wet and Forget on the North Shore Auck.
E.F Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:28 PM   #23
arnie.m
lsb member

Hitman is close to or possibly the most expensive weed killer (per made up litre of spray) on the market. It is up to you but I find others such as Glysophate USED TO INSTRUCTIONS one of the most effective for general use. Hitman only kills annual weeds and grasses where as I find Glysophate does most young plants by spot spraying.
arnie.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 05:47 AM   #24
celt
lsb member

I posted a thread recently about weed burners as an alternative for small weeds. Didn't get much response has anyone used it as an organic alternative?
Old 27th October 2010, 07:47 AM   #25
Organix
Lurking
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie.m View Post
Hitman is close to or possibly the most expensive weed killer (per made up litre of spray) on the market. It is up to you but I find others such as Glysophate USED TO INSTRUCTIONS one of the most effective for general use. Hitman only kills annual weeds and grasses where as I find Glysophate does most young plants by spot spraying.
So glysophate/Round-Up is more toxic to plants, and the environment And that's a good thing?