Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
skyline_glenn
lsb member

Janola in water tank

We are going away for 10 days, and I have been told that it would be a good time to pour a bottle of janola into the water tanks to kill any germs that may be lerking. Does this sound like a good idea? they say the taste would have gone by the time we get back. I would have thought if there were any nasties we would be sick by now, we have no filtration on our supply apart from an underbench filter and we collect from the roof.

Cheers

www.freewebs.com/the-travelling-miscalls
skyline_glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:42 PM   #2
wyseyes
Air Rifle Nutter

Re: Janola in water tank

Janola is just a fancy name for a bottle of 5% diluted Sodium Hypochlorite.
From Wiki - "Sodium hypochlorite has been used for the disinfection of drinking water. A concentration equivalent to about 1 liter of household bleach per 4000 liters of water is used".
So just figure out how many L your tank holds, then forget it and just add 1L of bleach.
You don't have to use named brand janola, any budget bleach without any flavouring should do well.
Sodium hypochlorite is also known as 'Swimming pool chlorine", and industrial cleaner "30 Seconds".
Old 23rd December 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
skyline_glenn
lsb member

Sweet, only problem is we only have 1 bottle and 50,000l of water, we are leaving early tommorrow morning. Will it still work or is it a waste of time. I can isolate 1 tank and treat that but thats still 25,000l.

Old 23rd December 2008, 05:07 PM   #4
beedee
lsb member

Forget it and have organic water, IF you were at home you wouldnt be treating it.. so why now, Im sure or at least I think I am that you dont go through 25,000 litres per week so freshness isnt a problem, cos you are away..When you get home run your house taps for a few mins, to clear the gunge that has settled in the pipes.. Just MHO
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:43 PM   #5
skyline_glenn
lsb member

Its not the fact it will be sitting for any great length of time, rather to kill any bugs that are in the water. The reason for doing it while away is for the taste to go away. But Im thinking, if there were any bugs in it we would be sick by now. Probably just give it a miss I think.

Old 23rd December 2008, 07:01 PM   #6
The Kats Place
lsb member

I usually just put the one bottle - otherwise I can smell and taste it.
Old 25th December 2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Kevin and Perlita Morgan
advanced member

If you can smell it ,It means you havent enough janola in the tank
Kevin and Perlita Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote