Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 20th October 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Bunter
advanced member

Bull Calf - Retained Testicle Question.

There was a thread on this topic a few weeks ago, and we are now in a similar situation with a 9 week bull calf with one retained testicle. We put rings on the rest of the mob this morning but left him as he is.

My question is how long should we wait until deciding its not going to drop and get the vet to castrate him ? How invasive is the op to extract it from where ever it's hiding ?

The one that has dropped is a good size but there is absolutely no sign of the other - this is the first time we have come across this, often when the bulls are a bit younger one may take some coaxing to stay down, but you can tell that its there.

We will be keeping this boy until he is 2years old and he's a nice wee beast so we dont want to stuff this up. No worries getting the vet in but, at 9 weeks / 96kg's what are the chances that it will drop and at what age are we likely to run into complications doing him with a band.

Bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Sue
Moos and clucks
Friend of LSB

Hi Bunter, if he is going to be for meat for your own freezer, I would put a ring on the one he has got before he gets too big. If the other is still in the body cavity chances are he won't be fertile, but he still may develop bully characteristics from about 14 months of age.

You could get a vet to castrate him, but if the other testicle is inside it may be a full operation. If you feel you need to do it, then get the vet to do both at the same time. Your vet may be able to say how big an operation it is and how possible at this age.

We had a bull whose second testicle didn't drop into the correct place but was obvious just below the skin of the belly in front of the scrotum He was a very well developed masculine and fertile bull (proven on the neighbours house cow!)-he went to the works age 26 months and weighing 750kgs!
The vet told us that if it hadn't dropped into the correct position by 3 months old it probably wouldn't.
Old 20th October 2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Bunter
advanced member

Thanks Sue, this boy is destined to go to the works from here at about 24-26 months; so we dont really want him to develop bull characteristics as a yearling. We have neighbours on both sides that run heifers so another reason to have steers ourselves.
If an op is the only choice but is risky we will probably keep him as a bull and sell him later in the summer.
He is a sweetie and we would prefer to keep him, but as a steer.
Old 20th October 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
beedee
lsb member

Can you feel the missing one at all?????
last season I had kept an entire bull calf and he jumped 3 fences to get to my cows at 13mth age, so totally mucked up my seasons planning, I didnt want calves in June. maybe cowvet will answer, but dont think being surgically castrated is that invasive, some sedation , and that might be enough to bring it down with the relaxant...and it turns into a quick nick... but if it is really high up, lets hope it is remaining inmature and useless
a real nuisance for you.. wot about some veal for xmas
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 04:49 PM   #5
powerguy
Occasional live wire

I *think* you are allowed to ring up to 3 months (12 weeks) - please check on this. I would give it a bit longer yet.

Having been through this ourselves with a "hanger" I would suggest not ringing at all and get the vet to do the job later when needed. By then the hanger should have come down. Once you have ringed, the scar tissue makes it harder for the vet, so we were told by the bloke doing the job.

They don't cut the testicle out, they pull on the tube until it snaps off high up inside. The scarring from the ring can make it snap off too low and then they have to fish around for it and try again with less to hang on to. Made my eyes water in sympathy but the (now) steer din't seem to mind too much with the local doing its thing.
powerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Bunter
advanced member

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful. Beedee, we cant feel the missing testicle at all - usually when they shoot back up you can push up and feel it 'squeeze' back thru but its like he only ever had one !
Powerguy, we didnt ring him at all, thinking that it would be easier for the vet to deal with a blank canvas, and if it is going to drop by itself then at least its got somewhere to go.
A vet visit doesnt worry me too much, keeping them until they are 2 yrs means that some extra earlier expenses doesnt eat into the profit too much. Much better to be able to keep him than sell him as a stroppy young bull.
Hopefuly it will be an easy op if required.