Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 11th July 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
devan
apprentice pisshead

mutton chops in crock pot

I hate cooking with a passion! but if forced to feed others i usually just grab whatever is on top in the freezer, nuke it and cook it in non stick fry pan BUT i have been given a crock pot by some fool who thinks that
A: i'm organised enough in the mornings to think about dinner and
B: I give a damn that they might want MEAT

Anyway if i was going to cook say mutton chops in it (i have heaps and they're tough as buggery when nuked and fried) how would you do it? All i've really used it for so far is soup. Any other EASY recipes would be gratefully received by the hungry men that won't get out of my house
Old 11th July 2008, 02:31 PM   #2
oskatd
Slave to Equine dictators

Re: mutton chops in crock pot

God you're a giggle. You could try placing them in crock pot, frying a bit of onion to go on top (no need to nuke it first!) and perhaps an oxo with a smidge of water to create a bit of a gravy? I'd go for low cooking longer if they are tough!
oskatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Gracelands
In a daze of wine & roses
Friend of LSB

Try the boxes of Real Stock from the supermarket. They turn all sorts of lumps of frozen meat into gormet masterpieces. And keep for months in the pantry. Tip a box full onto the chops and chopped onion (don't bother frying if you don't want to) the night before, bung it in the fridge overnight, and the next morning all you have to do is plug it in and walk away. It should end up like a cross between a casserole and a soup. Lots of mashed potato, and the menfolk should sing your praises for weeks. (Don't let on to them how easy it is!)
Gracelands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Gracelands
In a daze of wine & roses
Friend of LSB

Also, do heaps at a time, so you don't have to go near the stove for the next 4 days.
Gracelands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Kiwismum
Living my Dream

Shove them in the crockpot with some frozen veges of choice, and any sort of stock, water or wine that takes your fancy. Turn on low and forget. Come dinner time you will have a nice and edible casserole.
http://www.dreamforthree.co.nz/
Kiwismum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
moggy
lsb member

Curry, there is a huge variety of recipes, do a google. Even for cookaphobes they are easy. They all start with browning the meat, chopping and softening some onions, they chuck in a combination of spices and some liquid, either stock or tomatoes. Switch on and leave.
moggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Jack
lsb member

Gidday

Perhaps whoever gave you the crock pot knows about your cooking abilities.

All you need to do is remember in the morning to throw some meat, straight from the freezer with a bit of salt, or a squeeze of lemon or orange into the srock pot with no water and turn it on. I guarantee that you will be surprised at how tasty and tender any bloody old ram will come out.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2008, 04:04 PM   #8
NZ Appaloosas
Bringing Waps to NZ

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=crockpot (12 pages or more of crockpot recipes, including banana bread, pudding and drinks <g>)

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm (over 1400 recipes for the crockpot)

http://www.a-crock-cook.com/ (everything you need to know about crockpot cooking, apparently)

http://www.crockpot-recipe.com/ (nothing but crockpot recipes, I believe)

http://www.crock-pot-recipes.info/ (another 200 or so recipes)

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/c.../crockpot.html (from Carnegie Mellon, a great school)

Hopefully these will get you started.

Diane
NZ Appaloosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 10:21 AM   #9
devan
apprentice pisshead

Awesome thanks guys. I will try all of them. I figure if i do heaps at once i'll prob only have to cook once a week! yay. I dunno why the rest of the family can't just live on toast and marmite like i do
Old 15th July 2008, 01:16 PM   #10
MikeAqua
lsb member

A packet of Ox tail soup and two cups of cold water make as a nice based for a soup. Also think about cutting the fat of the chops first if there is heaps.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Westermans
Nurse maid to all

Devan i have a awsone crock pot cookbook that makes you look like Gorden Ramsey, minus the swearing, ..i am no master chef, i do love cooking though and if often makes me swear that is the only similarity me and Mr Ransey have
Joan Bishop's New Zealand Crockpot and Slow Cooker Cookbook, its fab and want expensive...i got it from paper plus, but i am sure whitcoles or warehouse have it.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:31 AM   #12
PhyllisDanczak

Thanks so much Diane for such a great list. I went through tons of them and found some great recipes and especially on the third site on your list http://www.a-crock-cook.com/
PhyllisDanczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Hasbeen
Churned not stired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAqua View Post
A packet of Ox tail soup and two cups of cold water make as a nice based for a soup. Also think about cutting the fat of the chops first if there is heaps.
I would go with Jack Devan; that oxtail soup is a chemical time bomb.
I should know I used it for years & almost wiped out my family.

Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Mich
Polwarths are my Passion
Friend of LSB

And after all that 'effort' making the main meal, you could try the Caramel Crock Pot Christmas Pudding that's on the R D 1 website.

I've got my first one on the go at the moment. DEAD easy (truly, you won't believe how easy) and it makes a full pot of pudding. Still cooking, so haven't done the taste test yet, but the raw mix smelt and tasted good so I'm confident .

And as far as the meat goes, stock up on a range of different flavoured dry packet mixes (Maggi, etc) - the sort you mix with water - and next thing you know you have a meal that has a fancy french name attached to it that will impress the heck out of the males in the family.

Cheers, Mich.

Last edited by Mich; 19th December 2010 at 05:39 PM..
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 06:12 PM   #15
max2
Lost in translation
Friend of LSB

My normal recipe is:

garlic - generally a good teaspoon full if you are using the bottle, if not, then a good 2 -3 crushed garlic.

1 packet of french onion soup mix (the powered sort)

a very generous dollop of soy sauce.

a couple of dried apricots (only if you have them don't go out of your way to buy them)

and apricot nectar (sourced in countdown only although I have done it in mango nectar in earlier years). About 2/3 of the bottle. Found in the shelf juice section.

mix in your cooking pot, I do this in a covered casserole dish for the oven for 2 hours on 180 degrees. but a crock pot will do the same, just darken the dish somewhat.

Add lamb neck chops, mutton bits whatever you want to add meat wise that needs a bit of time.

All should drop off the bone at meal time. do keep an eye on the later times though regardless of whether you are crock pot cooking or casserole in the oven, as if you have heaps of cuts (as I do - guts we are) in the pot, they do need turning once.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Stu_R
surviving as best one can
Friend of LSB

sounds perfect Swaggie will try that one here in my crock-pot thanks matey
Old 19th December 2010, 07:06 PM   #17
max2
Lost in translation
Friend of LSB

Stu this is my and E's fav with buttered mash spuds and peas. A good winter or cool night dish.... and with the rest of the apricot nectar you can freeze it for later use in other casseroles.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:07 PM   #18
max2
Lost in translation
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_R View Post
sounds perfect Swaggie will try that one here in my crock-pot thanks matey

In the crockpot it will darken a lot more than if you cook it for 2 hours in a covered casserole dish in the oven. but with the same tender result.

Just so everyone is clear on that bit.... all tastes great though.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:09 PM   #19
max2
Lost in translation
Friend of LSB

And, as an extender, with the packets of french onion soup which keep forever anyhow, if you mix one sachet with a little sour cream, you have a great instant dip sauce for any crackers you have stowed away for surprise visits. If you have some chives growing, or in the freezer, just snip a few tops, slice thinly and mix with dip.

Looks fab and fresh.
Old 20th December 2010, 07:25 AM   #20
Seaside
Compulsive blatherer
Friend of LSB

My Dad's irish stew. Put the mutton chops, some halved (small) or quartered (large) potatoes (scrubbed not peeled), a couple of chopped carrots, handful of pearl barley, plenty of ground black pepper, and some dried thyme into the slow cooker. Cover with hot (beef or lamb) stock and cook on high for 6 to 7 hours or low for 8 or more.