Template: Skinny | Lean | Well Rounded | Plump
Old 10th July 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Hestia
lsb member

goat triangel collar

Does any of you have a pic of a goat or escape sheep with a triangel collar?Reason I ask is that I have had the question from scandinavia about how to keep esacpe sheep/goats in the paddock.no one seems to have heard of the triangel collar and I also got a question to if it would be something that would be harmfull and maybe not allowed.I can't see a triangel collar to be dangerous and just and only to stop from going thru the fence.
Hestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Re: goat triangel collar

My goat Emma had a triangle collar - the only problem is, she bashed it against a fence and smashed it off (deliberately), so she ended up with this below, which keeps her in just as well, and doesn't look half as bad.

It's a custom-made collar ($20 or so), padded. It comes around to two rings (sown in) and a carabena then joins them. Two pieces of fencing wire are threaded through the carabena and into a piece of very solid plastic pipe (it's quite thick pipe).

She can get her head through mesh and batten fences, but no further, as the pipe hits the battens.

The padded collar is because it rubs on her neck.

She's had this for 8 years now, and it works beautifully, and has never broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EmmeCollar.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	759  
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
beedee
lsb member

Three pieces of alkathene pipe say 25mm thick at least. and 15inches long drill holes, once it has been measured against said goats neck, so two people to hold the piping as a triangle around the goats neck.. and mark with a pen, aim is that the collar can spin but not come off the head, so it will be a triangle collar with end bits sticking out, two of the fixation holes can be tied permanantly and the third to have one of those pin things or a soft wire, so that in an emergency it can be removed by hand, or always have wire cutters ready..
hope that makes sense
I like the PG version of only one pipe but feel that if the goat twas a dive under the bottom wire goat... that it would not stop it
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Pumpkingirl
lsb member
Friend of LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee View Post
I like the PG version of only one pipe but feel that if the goat twas a dive under the bottom wire goat... that it would not stop it
That was Emme's favourite way of escape actually, until "the pipe". However, I think her lack of escaping may have something to do with her "family" which has grown from her, her brother and Emme the Boer, into a herd of 14, of which she is the boss.

So while she still pushes all heck out of my fences, she doesn't go under them anymore. Admittedly I have had the wires tightened too!

PS My theory, on escaping goats, is to create such a great goat family, they won't want to escape Obviously this means increasing numbers until escape attempts come to a halt
Pumpkingirl is offline   Reply With Quote